Priceline Hotel: Resort Maui (Kaanapali-Lahaina) Whaler

ralan
By ralan,
in

Greetings.

These forums are a great resource ! Thanks for making this site available.

I used SavingsBarn to bid on a resort on Kaanapali. Started at $140 and was rejected. Went to $155 and $170 which were both rejected. At $190 I got a message that for $25 more they could find something. I bide$215 and got The Whaler.

The appearance of this property as a "resort" in the Kaanapali zone is a big problem for Maui bidders.

From what I know about the Whaler (I've never stayed there), it's a good condo-style property offering somewhat less luxurious facilities and amenities from the other "traditional" resorts in Maui. Certainly, the published rates are MUCH lower than the resorts folks usually get in this zone. For example, for this bidder's dates, the ResortQuest site (which owns the hotel) has an online rate of $220 -- meaning the bidder got a zero discount on his or her room. And if you call ResortQuest and ask for the Entertainment Card 50% off discount, it's likely to be even cheaper. Obviously, this is not what priceline bidding is all about.

Priceline is stupid to dilute the value of its "resort" bidding in Maui, and perhaps they'll eventually change their minds. A previous poster was apparently able to get a refund for her stay. I'd recommend this bidder try to do the same. In the meantime, unfortunately I think you have to avoid bidding in this important zone at the resort level.

I've heard others have had success with getting a refund without having any trouble from PL

It may be worth a shot (although this user appears to be happy with the outcome), but note that this is more the exception than the rule, and users should not expect to get refunds if they're unhappy with the property they receive.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised by the recent successes people have had with priceline refunds. Maybe they're mellowing: in the past, they haven't been overly helpful in these circumstances.

Here, it's particularly tricky because the definition of a "resort" is pretty vague. Reading these boards, folks expect to get an EXPENSIVE resort, but nothing in the rules prohibits them from adding cheaper properties to the "resort" category.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]