The dates are: 04/08/07 - 04/13/07 @ $169

The stated amenities are:

Suite

Restaurant

American Plan (3 meals a day)

Fitness Center

Kitchenette

High Speed Internet Access

and the price stated is for a suite and includes 3 meals a day (American Plan)

Thanks for your help!

Also if anyone has any other ideas where I could look for reasonable accommodation? I am from Australia, so I'm locked out of bidding on Priceline as I do not have an American billing address, or a VISA (or other credit card) from one of their approved issuing countries.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

An interesting new amenity for HOTWIRE (have never seen this "american plan" icon offered before) and more interesting that is offered for a NYC property... as i do not know of any hotels in NYC that offer meals included. This sounds like a mistake to me, but if it isn't, i'd be a bit concerned about what it is... 3* ratings on hotwire can go "either way" and i'd be a bit concerned since they're offering three meals a day which is basically unheard of in NYC. Is it that hard for this property to generate business that they have to offer something that nobody else in the city offers? I could be wrong, but i'm just trying to alert you to the potential 'red flag' that i see waving.

Did you see that HOTWIRE also offers a 3.5* property for ~$149/nite?

What is your maximum budget?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I also thought the meal plan exceptionally strange for NY based on the prices I've been seeing for accommodation.

My max budget is probably around $170-180 per night. I don't mind going 3* to save some money, I just have a few concerns regarding what standard a 3* really is in NY :) I've been using a traveller review site to check out potential accommodation, and I'm a lttle scared.

I saw the other property you mentioned. Would this be the Hudson based on the listed amenities?

EDIT : $170-180 per night plus taxes :)

Yes, the best guess on the 3.5* is the Hudson, although those amenities are very common for NYC.

As you can see NYC begins to get expensive again (from the less expensive winter months) in the Spring.

If you do book the above please use this HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi!

I have decided not to go with the Hotwire options, and have instead booked a fully cancellable reservation at the Washington Jefferson. After reading the forum hints about Priceline bidding for Australians, I have decided to try and bid on Priceline. I will start a new topic in the Priceline threads, as I will need some assistance please. :)

Hi!

After reading the tips on here for Australian Priceline bidders I have decided to give Priceline a go.

My travel dates: check-in : 4/8/07 check-out : 4/16/07

Preferred areas: MTW or Downtown. With MTS a possibility if need be. I would prefer 4*.

I have already booked a fully cancellable reservation at the Washington Jefferson Hotel for an average of $192.50 per night ex tax, and would love to beat this if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Whoops! I posted here by mistake
No you didn't... please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. If ultimately use Priceline we'll them edit the topic title to reflect your win and move the entire thread to that section of the board.

Before suggesting a strategy, are you sure you are comfortable with the zones you've chosen? Downtown is not a prefered zone for the typical NYC visitor. As well, i'd sooner recommend MTE and UM/CPS before the MTS zone... is there a reason you're avoiding these two areas?

If you haven't seen it alread, this is a good thread for your to read: NYC PRICELINE DESCRIPTIONS

The main reason I selected MTW and Downtown is because I liked the 4* hotel choices in those areas. I also have friends who reside near SoHo, so I would like to be close to them if possible. I am also in my late 20's so I will be going out a lot during my stay, and primarily moreso to bars and restaurants in Greenwich Village, SoHo and surrounding areas. Assuming that the subway between UES/WS and these areas may not be safe for me to travel alone at night, it would be easier to stay close to these areas if possible to save on taxi fares.

It doesn't currently appear that your $180 budget will be enough for a 4* property. To try i'd start as follows:

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and Downtown...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and reaccess priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and Downtown and re-bid zone1...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $175.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi!

I just tacked the MTS on the end of the bidding strategy you suggested, and upped the price :)

I was pretty happy to be able to get all 8 nights in one location.

I think at $180 I had all my options checked ie MTW, Downtown, UES & UWS then added MTS for the rebid and increased price to $185, and was lucky :)

Also forget to mention that I used the SavingsBarn.com link for my purchase :o

Thanks again for all the help. Without this forum I would never have even known how to bid on Priceline. It helped immensely, especially to overcome the issue of bidding as an Australian customer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]