Priceline Hotel: Need 4* NYC bidding help 1/9-1/17

tracyha
By tracyha,
in

You don't say how far east/west you're willing to go, but i'm assuming that MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS are all acceptable. If so, you have two re-bid zones when bidding at the 4* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

PS- pleaes also follow-up your previous Priceline Brooklyn thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Aarrgghh. Am a little frustrated. Started bidding per strategy last night. First bid of 4* MTE at $120 was returned with offer to increase by $22. Thought that was a little high so I closed browser and tried next step of 4* MTE at $125. Took forever and then employer credit card was rejected. Went to sleep. Tried all strategy steps today and no luck- even up to $160. Now wish I had accepted increase offer! I can break up this trip as I am just going to the area to do academic research. Maybe the holiday weekend is messing this up? Any suggestions appreciated... Thanks.

Since you were close last nite, but apparently 'shut out' today, i would give it another 24 hours just to make sure there wasn't a breakdown in the system which prevented your bid from being accepted today.

If you do split, any interest in staying in Jersey City? Can be had fairly cheap for your dates... and a PATH train at the door to take you into the city (Downtown in 8 minutes, Midtown in 15 minutes)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you saying wait 24 hours and try the same bidding process all over again- or wait 24 hours and then try splitting the dates? Thought I was locked out for 72 hours if I don't change dates so I'm just trying to clarify. Also, what is best way to split dates with regards to weekend dates, etc.? I'd certainly consider Jersey City if you think I have a chance of landing something like the Hyatt Regency... I'm not really familiar with other hotels in that area. Thanks for all you do. :)

what is best way to split dates with regards to weekend dates, etc.?

Let's crosee that bridge once we get there :) as we'll have to look at various date combinations individually and it's a time consuming process which may not even be necessary if you have success the next time you try for the complete stay.

As tenerifesharon mentions above, you can bid again for the complete set of dates after 24 hours from your last rejected bid.

Hi all. Tried bidding suggestions again today- enitre list up to $160- and no luck :) I'm getting a little nervous as I need a room by Tuesday. Oh how I wish I had accepted the first Priceline rebid offer! Would really prefer to stay in the city- not entirely opposed to Jersey City- but really wishing to be downtown. Help!

really wishing to be downtown
I assume you mean midtown... which in NYC is different than 'downtown'.

Essentially your choice is to:

1) wait it out and try again

2) SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

3) raise your maximum bid

4) lower your star rating

Other alternatives are the Beekman Tower which gets pretty good reviews. The Eastgate Tower gets great reviews but is available for all nites of your stay except for the first nite (so staying someplace else the first nite and then changing to this property may be a good option as well). Both of these properties are ~$150/nite for your stay and are converted apartment buildings... so they have complete (by NYC standards :) ) kitchens/refrigerator which may come in handy for an extended stay. The Eastgate is a bit more central to mass transit (close to Grand Central) than the Beekman, which may be a factor given it's winter (not that you would know it from the current temperatures!)

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll advise further.

Hi friends. Yes, I meant midtown! Just a slip of the brain. Ended up checking out the Eastgate Tower on Tripadvisor and searching that site for deals. Liked the reviews and found a studio suite at Eastgate on Travelocity for about $119 a night! Ended up booking for a total of $1124 with taxes and fees for eight nights. Seems like just the right place for a longer work trip. Didn't need anything romantic and plush this time! Other nice thing about the Travelocity GoodBuy is you can cancel up to a day ahead with just a one night penalty and some change. Obviously can't do that with Priceline which is always a drag. Thanks as always for all your help. I'll be back...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]