CA San Francisco Howard Johnson Express Airport SFO

zbenye
By zbenye,
in

An unattractive small motel situated between a gas station and a filthy canal. A front desk in a small office where breakfast was also served.

The room was spacious, clean and in good condition. King bed, table with four chairs, very large dresser, two night stands, an alcove with a rack and hangers in place of a closet, safe (no key, might need to get it from the front desk), coffee maker. Large TV with a good selection of channels.

A mid-size bathroom with towels for two. Soap, shampoo samples, hair dryer.

The air-conditioner was the old kind that goes through the wall protruding into the outside. It was weak and loud.

Soundproofing was not great but I must have been tired enough (or drunk after the New Year's Eve party) that I fell asleep with no problem in the comfortable bed.

One phone line. Free 800 and local calls.

Free parking. Free wireless Internet. There was a good signal, but no Internet connection could be established...

Free continental breakfast: merely coffee and a danish. I didn't bother. There's a Starbuck less than a half mile north, an IHOP a quarter mile south.

Priceline had specifically indicated a smoking room in their reservation (the agent showed me the form!). He was kind enough to change me to a non-smoking room.

The next morning the agent handed me a $48 charge slip to sign when I checked out. She did notice that the Priceline form had the Priceline Mastercard number on it, and was hesitant about it. Eventually she did run a credit transaction on my card. I'll keep watch on the account nonetheless. Funny thing, my winning bid was only $46...

It was much nicer than the nearby Travelodge. But I'd rather not stay at either again if I can help it.

• 4 years later...

We spent one night here before a flight. I booked directly with a discount coupon through the support link here since many of the SFO hotels charge for parking and I did not want any additional fees surprises. It provided free breakfast, free parking and free airport shuttle. $68 including taxes.

The hotel was very easy to find. We were able to fill up on reasonably priced gas within a block. It was very late when we arrived but I did not see many eateries in the area from where we approached. Perhaps there are some in the other direction.

Check-in was easy. Our room was off the lobby but we heard no noise during the night. The room had iron and board, coffee and tea. It was comfortable and fairly spacious.

The breakfast area was upstairs on second floor with several room doors surrounding this central area. I would avoid a room that gives onto breakfast area as it is a little strange to open your door and find a bunch of tables with people eating when you leave your room. We were offered juice, orange and apple, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, instant oatmeal, cereal, muffins, toast and bagels, cream cheese and jams. There were a few pieces of fruit, mostly bananas, but a family grabbed most of it as they left.

We met a foreign family who using this location to go into and tour SF but I do not advise that.

This chain hotel turned out to be good value for what we paid, in my opinion, with no extra fee surprises.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]