Priceline Hotel: bid assistance for Kauai from 01/01 - 01/04/07

Tongtong
By Tongtong,
in

Hi. Not a lot gets posted for Kauai, but I have noticed a slight trend with some Sheraton hotels being won on PL at 25% off lowest website rate. In this case, I saw 239--so do the math--around 175-180--if there is availability on PL. Of course there are other hotels that can be won. And you may want to bid lower at first.

As for activities--gee a 4wheel do-it-yourself adventure seems like the most fun idea. Lots to see, and Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto will make lasting impressions. I'm sure other people will have some good ideas to add, as well as where to look for discounted activities. Sounds like a job for LoneStar! :)

Best of luck, and have a wonderful trip!

For Kauai, I will repeat my advice (which no one ever seems to take :) ) that you stay at the Waimea Plantation Cottages using the 50% Entertainment Card discount. Search previous posts for the details. It's not a luxury resort (although it's extremely comfortable), but rather a throwback to Old Hawaii. It's perfect for a family stay, as there are wide expanses of lawn to run on and multiple bedrooms. It will likely be cheaper than any resort you can get on priceline.

I have participated in very few organized tours in Hawaii because the prices are so high. There are sometimes discounts available, which makes the insane prices just unreasonable. :) I can't really imagine splurging on a Hawaiian helicopter ride for a 4-year-old (he'd probably enjoy a morning at the beach just as much), but if you want to do it, somebody will take you. The Entertainment Book has some modest discounts, as do the local flyers you can pick up.

The single best source for information on Kauai is the "Kauai Revealed" guidebook, which you can usually pick up on the web for about 12 bucks. Given how expensive Hawaii is, how cheap the book is, and how good the advice is, I can't imagine vacationing there without one (the other Islands have their own books by the same authors).

Kauai doesn't really have any (many?) must see activities, but it is still my favorite Hawaiian island because it is just so darn pleasant to visit. You'll certainly want to make it up to Waimea Canyon, but be careful with a small child: I had a 3-year-old once trip on uneven pavement there and had to get a few stitches at the Waimea Hospital (a freak accident that could have happened anywhere, so don't be dissuaded).

Kids will mostly love the beaches. Kauai Revealed correctly identifies all the best ones for kids.

Enjoy. I've been taking the little ones to Kauai for years, and the family has always had a great time.

I would add the the "Kauai Underground" guide is another excellent source of information. Having used a "Revealed" book while on Oahu, and the "Underground" guide while on Kauai, I have to say that the latter was much more consistently good in its advice and information. The "Revealed" book does seem to have more detailed information, but some things weren't totally reliable. That's just my two cents worth.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]