Priceline Hotel: What about two star hotels in Europe

Jeff F. In Louisiana
By Jeff F. In Louisiana,
in

I was looking through the forum's Europe section, and it seems like nearly everybody here goes for the 4 or 5 star hotels. Is there a reason for this?

When we travel in the US, we tend to get 2 or 2.5 star hotels, which are very nice, and only seem to lack the services we don't need anyway.

Is there a problem with two star hotels in Europe? Are they unsuitable, or non-existent?

We're going to Italy soon as part of a group package deal. We fully expect to fall in love with the place and return on our own, and hope we can do so very cheaply.

To give you an example of cheap, we're staying a a very nice three-star hotel in New Orleans this weekend for $40 per night (Priceline), and did the same earlier this year. Last time was in a very impressive 2.5* hotel.

Would that even be possible in Europe? No one here seems to do it.

I was looking through the forum's Europe section, and it seems like nearly everybody here goes for the 4 or 5 star hotels. Is there a reason for this?

There tends to be a bigger saving between the PL winning rate and the hotel rate so it's worth going for the 4*

Is there a problem with two star hotels in Europe? Are they unsuitable, or non-existent?

Living and having travelled in Europe I'd say the 2* that participate are very unsuitable and not much of a bargain-general statement of course. :)

It pains me to state this :) But the standards in the US are FAR better in the 2* or 2.5*than anywhere in Europe, we stay in them in the US when the 4* option is not viable.

IMHO you may find a better bargain in Italy by booking conventionally.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]