Priceline Hotel: Trip to Kauai

greekboy
By greekboy,
in

Hello -

My wife and I are planning a trip to Kauai in early to mid January 2007. We have been told Poipu is the best area, and desire a very nice hotel hopefully overlooking the ocean. While I understand I probably cannot control ocean vs garden view on Priceline, I am concerned as to whether I am running a risk by even using the tool for Kauai.

Has anyone had experience bidding on this island for 3* hotels? The Marriot looks like an exceptional one, but at a minimum price of $270 I think bidding is the most cost-effective approach. Any advice plus bidding tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

TM

Any hotels reported in this area would be found in our Priceline Hotel List.

Personally, i'm not so sure that Poipu is the best area... it wasn't for me, nor would it be for a return trip; it really depends upon what you want to do during the stay. The North and South ends of the island are quite different, and although only a few (25 miles??) apart, the drive from one end to the other can be long given the two lane roads throughout the island.

We stayed in the center (in Kapaa) and enjoyed the central location to stores and such, and also provided an easy way to travel to either the North or the South side of the island. While this worked out well for a first trip, if i were to do it again (and i expect to), i would probably split my stay, a few nites in the North and a few nites in the South.

To be of further help you'll need to let us know the actual dates of your stay as well as your expected budget.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick response!

We are not wedded to the south - just going off of some random recommendation received. We like outdoors activities a great deal - walking, cycling, etc. Good food is also important...

Given your comments, it might not hurt to for me to bid either region and see what turns out. As for budget, I'd hope to pay less than $200 a night. The dates are probably Jan 8 - Jan 12/13 when we will be staying there.

I noticed only one 3* hotel (Raddison) and one Resort (Marriott) was recorded for Kauai in the tabulated list - does that sound correct? I'd think there would have been more...

Best regards,

TM

We don't see much bidding here as i think the majority visit Maui and Oahu with Kauai being a distant third (or even fourth to Big Island). There are also many condo properties on the island and many opt for them as an alternative to a hotel as most have kitchen facilities and it helps save some money compared to eating out each meal.

My advice would be to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, staying a few nites in the North and a few nites in the South. While we liked the "city" of Kapaa/Lihue, if you want outdoors-y type of activities you probably want to be in the North and the South, and not central. If you stay in one it will likely be an hour+ trip to the other, and it makes for a long day to start and finish with that drive.

Once you firm up your plans and dates we'll be in a better position to further assist.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would check Priceline's retail inventory to see what might be possible on a bid. (there is some overlap and properties have been re-rated).

There is a Sheraton at the Resort level in Koloa.

Check Tripadvisor for reviews, especially in the Princeville area, where there is nothing above a 3* on PL opaque.

Also PL shows a Hilton at 3* in retail which may/may not be available through opaque.

I think the North Shore area is stunning, but the South has a reputation for sunnier weather.

One other thing, check hotels for repairs-- I read the Marriott was planning a 15 million dollar renovation due to heavy rains last year--not sure if this has been done or is in progress or scheduled for the future.

Thanks for the advice.

It seems like there are just a few choices in either the north or south at the 3* level, which is probably what I should restrict my search to. Actually, the south has the Marriot as a resort, so that may be prudent to shoot for??

So, we'll try splitting bids and aim for 3* in the north or south starting on jan 8. Does $150 sound like a good or bad bidding start for these?

Thanks,

TM

January 8th until ?? for the first part of your stay?

Notice also that the 'south' zone includes Kapaa and Lihue, which are more central than south... if you ended up in Kapaa or Lihue it would still be quite a drive to places like Waimea Canyon (where i would assume you'd want to do some hiking). Is that acceptable to you?

Do you care if you stay North or South first? If not, you can use this to your advantage in order to get extra bids.

Rather than you starting bid... what is your maximum bid? (for a Resort as well as for a 3*, if your maximum bid would be different for each)

Another reminder that we are an affiliate of the HILTON brand of hotels, including the the Hilton Kauai, and using our links (and the others in the support page) for your purchases helps keep this place a free resource for everyone!

Now back to the subject matter at hand...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]