Priceline Hotel: Resorts in Kaanapali (spring break) ?

hatful of hollow
By hatful of hollow,
in

First timer here...

I need help booking a hotel in Maui during a very busy time of year (2 adults & 1 youth)...April 6th - April 15th (springbreak). I know I am very early but I am ready to get this done if I can because I know that this time can book up quick. I want the Resort level in Kaanapali at no higher than $250.00. I know that some say that it is silly to bid this high, but when I researched all of my other options they did not compare. I have been trying for the last week to raise my bid for the dates above starting at $180 and went to $250 but I was never able to receive an accepted bid. I would appreciate any advice or input....

(how often has someone received an accepted bid for something other than the Hyatt, the Westin, or the Sheraton in this zone under the class of Resort?)

thanks much

Checked HOTWIRE for your dates. Looks like Sheraton and Hyatt are available at 345-350 range. Based on this, I would expect you might have to bid 260-280. That is still a savings if you want to go through PL. Be aware PL guarantees double occupancy.

As for other hotels, The Whaler is sold through PL retail, but I don't think anyone has reported it as a win through PL opaque. New hotels can be added at any time.

I'm sure Thereuare can offer some bidding strategies for you. If you receive a counteroffer, usually you can split the difference and be successful bidding. Best of luck.

I think a $75 discount from the HOTWIRE rate migth be a bit steep.. their prices aren't usually that much higher than Priceline.

Before moving forward... are you comfortable with the fact that priceline only guarantees double occupancy and that you'll actually be triple occupancy?

This is a long stay from an 'opaque hotel' perspective... is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, normally I would agree that is a big difference between PL and Hotwire. Still, this market sometimes has some incredible savings through PL if someone will stretch bidding limits. If I had bid 250 already, I would try 260-275 and hope for a counteroffer. The alternative is to book through Hotwire, still a savings over the hotel website (lowest I saw was 440). With the recent earthquake, bookings may be off a bit and this may be an excellent time to bid. The worst that happens is there is no inventory--doesn't cost anything to bid, and a hotel may welcome a long stay. Worth a try. If unsuccessful, I would reconsider my options--300/night is a lot to spend, especially this far out.

Hatful of hollow, it has been my experience that rooms with King beds are more in demand. Other people may report something else. After winning a bid through PL, call the hotel and request 2 doubles or 2 queens if that is what is available, (also request non-smoking), and hope for the best. Alternately you may request a rollaway bed. Hotels will probably be as accommodating as they can, but there are no guarantees. Some people will purchase a great sleeping bag/aero bed if all else fails. Up to you if you want to take a chance. With Hotwire you can select up to 4, I think, but you will pay more probably. You might want to see if other people weigh in with experiences.

Glad you are willing to up your bid. If there is inventory right now, you may be successful. Really you have nothing to lose. I am in favor of bidding early and then bidding on a rental car if desired. Then you can plan the rest of your trip and look forward to it! If you are unsuccessful, you might want to book a cancellable backup and try bidding later, using Hotwire as a gauge. In high season, you can usually save 10% off Hotwire, but there are exceptions, and you may save more. I have seen savings of 20% at times. Check hotel websites directly, too--this will put things in perspective for you. With a backup you won't be desperate and overbid. I hope you are successful under 300.

...the double occupancy with PL limitation. What exactly does that mean and how would it play out if I booked a double with 3 bodies?

With priceline you're not booking a "double" (not sure if you mean double occupancy or a room with two beds, but the same explanation applies)... you're booking a "room" and that's it. Priceline guarantees that the room will accomodate at least double occupancy, anything more is at the request of the hotel and at their discretion. There is a more indepth discussion of this in the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Feel free to ask additional questions or let us know if you're comfortable to move forward with priceline or not... we'll then advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the explanation...

I actually bid all the way up to $280 with no luck.

I am trying to decide where to go from here...What are the chances that I get something other than the three big hotels?...This is really my only concern at this point.

Do you think that the hotels crank up the amount during really busy times like spring break.

What is the highest amount you have heard someone pay PL to get an accepted bid in this section?

Any suggestions?

I'd really like to get this firmed up so I don't have to think about it.

Thanks

Hotel prices fluctuate all the time, and seem high for your dates. Rates are less in shoulder or low season.

In addition, hotels use sophisticated programs to project occupancy and PL may not have access to rooms right now.

I think I can recall high 200 range for Kaanapali. Few people bid this far in advance and even fewer post, so there is not much to go on yet, just previous experience and observation. At 300 should you have to worry about a 3rd person? Or should you consider an alternative? You have a lot of time to think about that.

About getting another property in the area--doubt it, but always a chance. (PL could rename the area for The Whaler so you can bid with confidence and include or exclude based on location).

I would book a cancellable backup and keep bidding if price was the concern. If I wanted a specific property I would look for the best price available. I hope you will use the resources here--it helps support the board.

If you have air, look for hotel and car or land only packages. You should consider a condo in the area, too. The best choice is the one that gives you want you seem to want most--peace of mind. A lot to be said for that.

Can anyone identify the 3 1/2 star condo on Hotwire that is listed at $168 a night...?

Here is the description:

This hotel is an all-condominium resort conveniently located along the fairway in the center of the Kaanapali Beach Resort. Each spacious unit offers a complete kitchen and washer/dryer. Guests can enjoy the resort's three swimming pools. It's an easy stroll to the hotel's private beach cabana. Also nearby is shopping and dining at Whaler's Village.

Thanks in advance

Well, as usual, when encountering someone who wants to bid this high for a non-cancellable, non-changable Hawaiian hotel room several months in advance, I say DON'T DO IT. These properties are simply not worth that kind of money, and there are ALWAYS alternatives.

One option that might be particularly useful to this poster is the Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO) promo. It's very inexpensive and, last I looked, was still available for Eastertime. You MIGHT be bothered to attend an optional timeshare presentation, but given the savings involved, it would be more than worth it for most folks. All the details are explained here in this (and other) flyertalk links.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?...age=1&pp=15

You need to be sponsored by an SVO member, but one of the good folks at flyertalk would be more than happy to help you (they can earn bonuses for referrals). If you're interested and have any problem getting a referral, let me know since I think I know a member who could help.

There are other tricks you can do to add nights. For instance, have yourself and your wife each get a free Starwood credit card. That should be worth an additional 2 free nights.

Good luck and enjoy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]