Priceline Hotel: Need help pricing trip to Honolulu 12/26-1/6

bruinLA
By bruinLA,
in

Hi everyone,

I was hoping some of you vetran travelers would lend some advice on priceline bids for hotels in Honolulu and other ways to save money for dining and activities. From reading other threads the Entertainment Book looks like a good buy.

I am trying to plan a trip to hawaii for me and my 10 year old daughter for 12/26 to 1/6. It's going to be our first real vacation. I can get an ATA flight to HNL via ONT for about $500. LAX flights seem to be $100 more. I figure the $500 flight plus some wise bidding on priceline is a good way to book the trip.

I am hoping the trip will be memorable and relaxing. I am thinking one hawaii-centric activity per day and a fair amount of relaxing and eating. I am not sure if that implies I should try to stay at multiple hotels.

I am flexible on the cost of the hotel, but $120 for a place like outrigger seems pretty decent.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Which zone(s) are you interested in staying? What is the minimum star level you're willing to accept?

You should also check out our sister site ThingsToDo411.com which has an interactive map of, like the name implies, things to do, in Honolulu.

In addition to the Entertainment Book, the Go Card is another popular way to get discounts.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

BruinLA, wow taking your daughter to Hawaii at Christmas! Have plenty of film and enjoy the Holiday displays at ALL the hotels. The Moana Surfrider has a gingerbread hotel and a very cute display--Victorian looking. Lots of lights downtown --fun to see lights around palm trees. Along with that, there should be First Night for New Year's Eve and fireworks somewhere--usually Friday pau hana (after work) at HHV.

Besides all the holiday fun, Bishop Museum is a great place for kids. Too much to go into, but check online.

Hiking Diamond Head is a good choice, and you can also hike Manoa Falls. I think it's 150 feet--tricky when it's raining.

A drive over Pali Highway is great with a stop at Nuuanu Lookout. Also Tantalus Drive is amazing. You should go to Kailua for the beach on a driving day, and around the Windward Coast up to the North Shore. Stop for Shave Ice at Matsumoto. Maybe a burger at Kua Aina. You will be stopping at the surf shops no doubt. You could take Da Bus if you want--always an adventure. Stop at Dole Pavillion for Dole Whip. That's one long day.

Iolani Palace is interesting, but get the more expensive tour that goes upstairs, too, not just the self-tour downstairs. Check if Royal Hawaiian Band has a concert on the lawn. (maybe an hour). Nearby is Mission House Musem that is very interesting and educational and fun, too.

There is Chinatown for a walking tour--splurge on a lei for your young lady at one of the many great shops! She will never forget it!

Of course there is the zoo and the park close by and Sea Life Park if that is an option. (mixed feelings).

You can also go to Polynesian Cultural Center--another long day, but you can arrange transportation.

I'm sure there are other things I'm missing, but a lot of good times are free!! It's the time together that will make the trip wonderful. Have a great time!!

Oh--the bidding part--well I'm more the cruise director. Somebody else can chime in with some tips for bidding. Right now Outrigger Reef is popping up for 4*N and Resort N, but I would think over Christmas it will cost more. But try lower. Lots of people are happy with 3* especially when it's Prince Kuhio. 120 might get a 3*, but not certain of course. 4* S goes for more than north, so I would guess 180 range if you're lucky. Sounds like your daughter is lucky, too!! Oops--forgot--go to a luau!!!

In addition to the excellent recommendations above, I'd suggest the Waikiki aquarium as a "must see" with kids. Affordable, too. The nearby zoo is OK (I like the talking mina bird), but the aquarium is better.

Kids should enjoy shopping at the Aloha Stadium flea market (you can afford to buy them stuff there), although there is some walking involved.

Since you have enough time, have you considered visiting a neighbor island? I'd highly recommend it, and interisland fares are quite cheap these days thanks to a brutal fare war. Five nights on Oahu are more than enough (even 4 would be OK).

Joe, once you have flights confirmed, use the resources here to compare prices. A lot of people will make a cancellable reservation in case bidding fails. Outrigger Reef shows lowest rate at 239, if you don't mind the ongoing construction. Some hotels are showing no availability for your dates, so start bidding as soon as you can. Hotels will sell out over the holidays. If there is a good property on HOTWIRE, you might want to book it--offers come and go quickly there. Usually you can save 10-20% off Hotwire by bidding on PL. I would expect 10% over your days, but if you save more, great! Prices are a lot higher over Christmas than in the shoulder season right now, so you may have to adjust accordingly. Good Luck!

Are you ready to start bidding now? If so, which zone(s) are you willing to accept? (there is a Waikiki North and a Waikik South... are both acceptable?)

Although $120 may be too low for a Resort (or 4*?), did you want to try for those first up to your maximum bid before resorting to a 3*... or is the lest expensive 3* or better property really what you're seeking?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]