Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

Tbud
By Tbud,
in

I really want to stay in Midtown West, 4 Star, and my limit would be $175 tops.

Next, I would try Midtown East and Probably Upper Midtown/Central Park South.

Dates: 9/7 - 9/10.

Please let me know if you need more information. A little gun-shy after my last experience asking for simple help.

Did you want to bid up to your limit in the MTW zone and then try the other zones (realizing that if the MTE and/or UM/CPS zones have lower prices you'd be paying more than you need to)... or is price the most important and you'd actually prefer the least expensive 4* hotel in any of the three zones?

Most users prefer the latter option, especially in NYC where the zones are adjacent to each other and mass transit cheap and readily accessible, but it's your stay so let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You have two re-bid zones when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks!

I appreciate any feedback whatsoever. I just did a backup this morning which is cancellable until Friday, October 6. $274 for Crowne Plaza Times Square. Is that pretty good or do you think I can do better on priceline?

One more question, I looked on the hotwire board and there were bidding suggestions for this as well. Can you "name your price" on hotwire as well? I saw a post where someone got the Westin for $222 (seems like a non-standard price).

Hotwire really doesn't appear to have much for your dates when looking for both together, as most of the hotels are about the same as your back-up or higher ($350+.)

However, the second night (8th/Sunday) definitely appears less busy, and Hotwire does have 4* for $188 in Midtown Central, a 4* in Midtown East for $203 and a 4* in Times Square for $229.

While no guarantees, the 4* in Midtown East appears to be a match for the Intercontinental Barclay and the 4* in Times Square appears to be a possible match for the Westin. Can't tell what the Midtown Central one is.

Moving hotels definitely isn't an optimal option, but I thought I'd throw out these Hotwire possibilities so that you could have choices to consider if moving hotels (in an attempt to get a deal on at least one of the days) appealed to you.

There's different ways you could proceed. Let us know your thoughts and myself or one of the other members on the board will be happy to help.

Thanks, will do. I thought the Sunday night stay might help. Thought about changing hotels for the different nights, I'll have to consider. I'll try to go on Priceline again tomorrow with the previously recommended bidding strategy, although I'll start higher, maybe at $170. It would seem that the closer it gets to arrival day, and hotel rooms still aren't booked, the price might come down? Once again, thanks!

backup this morning ... $274 for Crowne Plaza Times Square

1) Hope you remembered to use the Crowne Plaza link from our support page

2) I would re-evaluate your bidding strategy and maximum bid. You're bidding for a 4* hotel but your back-up is a 3*... and your back-up is $100+ more than you've previously bid. You need to make some decisions regarding:

-raising your maximum bid for a 4*

-lowering your star quality and bidding for a 3*

-SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Thanks for the info. I think I do need to revisit the bidding strategy. It looks like I am going to have to increase the maximum I will pay. The Crowne Plaza I reserved because I just wanted to have something (and my office has some kind of arrangement - so I couldn't use your site's link, sorry)

I'm hoping I don't have to use that hotel, but given that I'm paying $274 for a 3* (corporate), Maybe I need to start the previously outlined process again with higher bids. It doesn't look like many are getting rooms lower than $200 for a 4* (which is still better than $274 for a 3*!).

I couldn't rebid anymore on Priceline and had to wait until today to bid again. Should I start the process again with a higher beginning bid?

Should I start the process again with a higher beginning bid?

If you let us know your maximum bid we will suggest a strategy for you to follow. Since you're having difficulty thus far, do you also want to include the MTS zone? (rates here are usually higher, but it will 1) give you additional bidding opportunities and 2) increase the possible hotels willing to accept your bid)

Don't know if you're willing to do so, but if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option i think you could stay at two different 4* hotels for about the price of the 3* above (or save money by taking the Crowne Plaza for the first nite and then switching hotels to a 4* for less money the 2nd nite... assuming the price above for the Crowne Plaza is the rate for each nite and not an average price of the two nites).

I'd rather not switch hotels. I'd go to a MAX of $250 for a 4* in the Times Square area. I would like to keep in at $200-$225 (NY Hotel taxes are killer). I'd rather not do MTS based on the hotels that are used there. If worse comes to worse, I guess I could add that another day if I'm striking out in the MTW, MTE area.

What do you think?

The 4* hotels in MTS are pretty highly regarded, plus the hotels there are a bit more expensive... but if you don't want to stay there then i wouldn't bid it.

I understand not wanting to split your bid for a 2 nite stay, but once i'm able to save $50-$75 i begin to consider it a pretty good payment for the 'inconvenience'.... i try to view it "if somebody paid me $50 to go to the other hotel, i might just do it, and it's like a free dinner (lunch, bottle of wine, etc) that nite (i also consider things like how long i'm staying... on a two nite stay i probably wouldn't unpack my suitcase anyway... to change for one nite of a 7 nite stay is a different story). Ultimately i ask my wife anyway :)

Given your current criteria, this is how i would proceed (note: these are the areas you bid previously, a bit larger than the "Times Square area" you mention above)

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]