Priceline Hotel: 4* Ft. Lauderdale (Beach) Hyatt Pier 66

jaxtobias
By jaxtobias,
in

Hi,

I am very new at this but have been trying to watch boards to learn and get the best strategies. However, I have had no success in the last month trying for one night in January, starting out at $50. Today I tried the following again:

Friday, Jan 2, one night

3* FLL downtown

First bid this zone at $65

added Miramar for $72

added Pompano for $76

all rejected, not getting any counter offers either

My frustration lies in that I have seen successful (and much lower) winning bids (TOBB) for the exact same night in the zone I want; but if the hotels (trying for Emb. Suites or Marriott Marina) have supposedly not released rooms to Priceline, how are these being accepted? Do I just keep bidding higher each 72-hour "round"? Trip is only 3 weeks away and getting nervous. Thanks and sorry for ignorance!

Its for a pre-cruise night and trying to stay close to Port; second choice was 4* Beach zone (havent tried yet), then 3* Beach, but didnt want to get the Sheraton Yankee Clipper or Holiday Inn, unless desperate. Also, this is my first attempt at bidding for hotels, so Priceline seemed less intimidating! Thanks

The airport is close to the port( but not as close as the beach). I think the sheraton has a free shuttle to the port as well( dont quote me on that though). If not, a taxi is around 10 bucks.

I grew up in that area, so I am familar with it.

Happy Travelling, Randi

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First, have you booked a cancellable back-up? If so, where and how much?

If you haven't booked a back-up yet... do it! It'll relieve some of the pressure and allow you to continue to bid this with a level head.

If you're seeing others that have won for the exact same date in the exact same zone, there are 2 explanations for you now getting rejected:

1) Those bids were placed earlier (days, weeks, months) when inventory is available and demand has now picked up, thus causing the hotels to pull their Priceline inventory (they may release inventory as check-in date approaches if the hotel feels that they will have excess inventory that they otherwise won't sell).

2) Those bids were for multiple nites and you're only bidding for one nite. At certain times hotels may require multiple nite stays (or not allow check-in on a specific day of the week... often seen in Las Vegas where Saturday nite check-ins are hard to come by)

Let me know the price of your maximum bid for each zone and we'll be happy to supply a bidding strategy to follow (as well as if you want to try the other zones now or not).

BTW, i don't know why you would think that Priceline is less intimidating than Hotwire. With Priceline you have to choose a price to pay (and risk overpaying) while with Hotwire you are told the price and the amenities... the only decision you have to make is whether you want to buy what's offered. Hotwire is actually much less involved than Priceline.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks - no I havent booked a backup yet - will do this week.

As far as maximum bid for each zone, probably $80-85 for downtown & beach, $65 for airport - though I havent tried any other zones besides downtown yet, as that was my first choice, and was trying to hold out! But I can try those zones now as time is getting short. I have been bidding since mid-November, btw.

Regarding Hotwire- to be honest I hadnt tried that yet, and only started with Priceline based on other posts that it was better/easier. Shame on me for assuming! :) I'll give a look! Thanks again!

Priceline is more popular simply because most of us prefer to try to save every last dollar and it's usually a little cheaper than Hotwire, but Hotwire is easier to use and also less risky in instances where there are "dud" hotels in a zone as it's easier to target (or avoid) properties based upon the amenities.

A recent check on Hotwire doesn't show any inventory in the Downtown area for your date so i'm doubtful higher bids than what you already posted will be successful at this point, but this is how i would proceed:

3* Downtown Zone

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $85

If the above is rejected i'd next try:

(close your current browser and start over with a completely new screen)

4* Beach Zone

(you have 4 re-bid zones when bidding 4* in this zone, feel free to cofirm your re-bid zones if you're unsure)

Bid $79, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $85

If the above fails, you'll then have to decide if you'd prefer the Airport zone or the Beach zone (and 'risk' the Yankee Clipper which you said you were trying to avoid).

Hotwire shows an Airport zone hotel for $65 which based upon the star rating and amenities shown i highly suspect is the Hilton. So you could probably do a little better than $65 in the Airport zone thru Priceline.

One thing to note is that the zone boundaries with each service is not necessarily the same... most of the area covered is the same but the boundry lines are slightly different so you may want to double check the zones just to make sure you're ok with the entire area.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding the above or if you move forward, how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire shows an Airport zone hotel for $65 which based upon the star rating and amenities shown i highly suspect is the Hilton.  So you could probably do a little better than $65 in the Airport zone thru Priceline.

Thereuare,

I thought the Hiton was no longer?? Isnt it the Wyndam now.

I thought the same thing about trying on Priceline for what I saw in the airport zone on Hotwire. I went up to 70 on Priceline when Hotwire was showing 86 and I was still denied. I dont think priceline is getting a lot of rooms yet.

Happy Travelling, Randi

thereuare-

Sorry was going to retry yesterday, but my 72 hours from Sunday wasnt up yet! when you wrote:

4* Beach Zone

(you have 4 re-bid zones when bidding 4* in this zone, feel free to cofirm your re-bid zones if you're unsure)

Bid $79, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $85

Just to confirm, the 4 other rebids zones were - Miramar, Pompano, Airport and Coral Springs, and I'm trying just for the Hyatt 66, correct? Would I use the same strategy for Hotwire? And is there a way to bid on the AmeriSuites 3.5* ONLY, or are you always subjected to higher zones too? THX!

You got the re-bid zones right! Be sure to check these each time before you bid since hotels can be added at any time (and once a 4* or higher hotel is added to one of these zones it no longer qualifies as a re-bid zone). By the same token, the Hyatt Pier 66 is the only known 4* hotel in that zone, so i'd be fairly certain that would be the hotel you received, but again, a hotel can be added or upgraded at any time (and somebody has to be the first to report the addition/change).

Hotwire is different in that there is no bidding involved (which is what makes it simpler to use). Hotwire will only show you one hotel per star level in each zone along with the price; they won't disclose the name of the hotel but they will show you the star rating and amenities that the hotel offers. You should see what is shown to you and then compare both the star rating and the amenities to what is already known here: Florida Hotwire Hotel List (be sure to read beyond the first post as there are more Ft. Lauderdale hotels in subsequent replies)

I know the Embassy Suites and the other hotels mentioned in this thread are listed in the above link and you can use the information there to figure out what hotels Hotwire is presenting to you.

I am THRILLEd to report I FINALLY got my first winning bid on Priceline due to thereuare's GREAT advice (for one night pre-cruise on 1/2/04)!! THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU! I've been trying for weeks to just get a 3* FLL downtown with no success. After trying once more today, I finally won the 4* Hyatt Pier 66 - more than I could have asked for!! :o Here's my strategy, as you suggested:

3* Downtown Zone

Bid $70, rejected, added Miramar

Bid $80, rejected, added Pompano

Bid $85, rejected

Closed my browser and started over with a completely new screen:

4* Beach Zone

Bid $75, rejected and added Pompano,

Bid $79 and WON!

Was also offered the $10 cashback reward

I bid through savingsbarn.com. :) Now I won't sleep for two straight weeks!! :) You are the greatest! Thank you so much!!

That's FANTASTIC news!! I'm very happy for you!

I've heard excellent things about this hotel.

Enjoy your stay and have a great time on the cruise.

Make sure the cash back reward isn't a subscription to a 'club' with the first month free. A few months back there was something similar and it ended up being a subscription to some travel service that automatically billed your credit card each month (don't know if this is the 'deal' offered to you or not, just make sure you read the terms of whatever the $10 Cash Back was for)

PS- as this is your first Priceline win you'll soon see that you'll have a hard time keeping your mouth shut about the 'deal' you got... it happens to all of us!

Congrats!!

As you all know Ive been trying for a few weeks for Ft. Laud Beach. I dont think I ever went up to 79$ though and I probably never picked a 4*, although I would have been thrilled with it.

Im happy with what I got and I'm relieved its over and done with( the obsessing over it)

Happy Travelling, Randi

Thanks again to thereuare and randi66 for your help and encouragement - you're right i'm going to tell everyone now! :)

You're also correct that that $10 cash back was connected to travel/entertainment discount deal - and I did decline because it was first month free then $7 month auto-billed - no thanks! Unfortunately I dont travel that much (would love to) - but didnt want another bill for stuff I probably wouldnt use.

Have a great holiday and new year!! Happy traveling!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]