Priceline Hotel: Las Vegas Hotel Help.

stan1162
By stan1162,
in

Trying to help the parents. Here are the details....

They are going to Vegas in this October. They need a hotel for 2 nights, Oct 15th and 16th (Sun & Mon night).

They want to be "on the strip" prefferably on the monorail line.... They think everything costs $49.00. I told them no. I explaind you get what you pay for and I would do research for the best hotel for the best price. Any advice on which hotels have great rates. I don't mind doing the leg-work, just have never been there and would like any advice. I have a map of the strip and who is where, but personal advice is what I;m looking for.... Thanks in advance!

I'll kick off.

Well the Sahara is available for $52.50 + taxes on a prepaid rate at Travelocity"]Travelocity on these nights. The hotel isn't anything special but I'm not sure what your parents' budget it? If it is close to $50 then this would probably be the best deal for them that I can see. It is out of the way but is on the monorail. Buffet apparently good value and great poker tournaments!

You can get the Stratosphere for $55 + taxes on Expedia which is generally regarded as a nicer hotel but is not on the monorail like the Sahara.

Both of these rates are prepaid. You could pay a decent bit more for a rate that you can cancel and keep your eyes open/get bidding but on the Monday night Vegas will be full of dentists (50,000 of them - tell your parents to keep their mouths closed) so there may not be that many good rates to be had.

Like you said - you get what you pay for - your parents could be happy with these. If you think they'd like to stay somewhere nicer then the above then it will probably be a lot more looking at rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.. I have managed to convince them to let me try some Priceline bidding with higher $$$. I use Priceline A LOT, so I'm very familiar with bidding strategies. The one variable I think that MIGHT have some effect on availibility is that Sept 8th is the cancel without fees deadline for the dentists. I will start AFTER the 8th in case blocks are realease. Sept 20th is another cancellation date, so I'll try after that too. I found the site for the dentists, that's where I got the dates from.

Aladdin's going to be nicer ammenity-wise as a 4-star. If the location and the buffets are worth it (the slot play is a gimmick promo that all hotels have),stay with it.

But don't forget EasyClickTravel -- EasyClickTravel Off the Record as you can get a $56 rate for the Sahara which, although North Strip, is right on the Monorail line. ECT is also great as the tax/fees added are only the standard local hotel tax (and not extra booking fees). Plus you have up to 72 hours beforehand to cancel and get a full refund.

One other related aspect regarding the Monorail: FYI that the prices have been jacked up hugely since when it began. Gouges tourists at $5/oneway, $9 RT, $35/10 oneway trips. Given how amazing Priceline can be for cars or a straight reservation on Alamo (via Entertainment Book $10 2-day cpn would be $55 w/taxes fees), you can almost always get a compact car for about $13-16 a day (i.e. see if you can bid on PL to beat the $55 total price). Factoring in two RT airport shuttles ($24) plus a few Monorail roundtrips, it will generally save you money. Just depends if you like the convenience and expense of the Monorail vs. the convenience and freedom of a rental car.

Hope this helps.

If you don't plan on going off the strip, then DON'T bother with a car. It can be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Monorail is a bit expensive,- though $35 for ten isn't too bad -- but it's actually pretty convenient - moreso than a cab during peak times of the day.

However, if you plan on going downtown and Hoover dam and other off strip places, then the car can be worth it.

Travelalot and Writer

Thanks so much for the suggestions... I think, the Aladdin rate I found, would be hard to beat on PL, with taxes and fees. So I think I will keep that for the parents.

They will have a car, they are driving in from California. So, they have a choice, drive or take the Monorail. I think they just want to see the whole Vegas thing, all the thememed Mega resorts, a little gambling, little dining, and that's about it...

As for a car, as I understand it, is parking "free" at the resorts, just a tip to the Valet? So, if they wanted to drive to the Mirage, and try their luck there, walk around, go to The Forum Shops at Ceasars???

Thanks so much for the help so far. My parents are still pretty young and active, and I suppose they could do this legwork, but it's easier for me, plus I get to learn at the same time.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]