Priceline Hotel: 4* Vegas Strip 9/15 - 9/17

dqueen
By dqueen,
in

I'm a first time Priceline user, and have been trying unsuccessfully to find three rooms at a 4* on the strip for the weekend of 9/15 - 9/17. So far we have been bidding pretty low ($85-90), because we have backup rooms at the Flamingo for $171, and only want to change if we can get a great deal.

But great deals seem to be hard to find that weekend. I've seen someone posting convention schedules on this site before, where do you find that information? I'm wondering if the hotels are holding their rooms until the conventions are pretty much booked, and then maybe some rooms will get released a few weeks beforehand?

Do you think we have any chance of getting a 4* for $100 or less? Does the fact we are trying for 3 rooms work for us, or against us? Should we try a bit higher, or just keep trying until a few days before we go (the Flamingo has a 2 day cancellation policy). Would we have better luck on HotWire?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi and welcome to better bidding. You can look at the LV convention schedule on your own at Las Vegas Convention Schedule Sept 2006 and there are not any big conventions, so your chances of getting a hotel under $100 from priceline are excellent.

As far as bidding multiple rooms, I think it won't really hurt your chances on this particular weekend because of 2 reasons:

1. Not a major convention week.

2. It's the weekend after Labor Day, when many people usually plan a Vegas mini-vacation, meaning it will be less crowded the following weekend.

If it were me, I would go for the 5 ***** Venetian because it's a known quantity and one of the best hotels on the strip.

In that case, I would bid $100, $105, $110, $115, $120 using 4 free rebid zones (basically any other Las Vegas Zones). If you don't win, wait a couple of days and try the same itinerary again. I think it can be had for about $120.

If you are interested in 4 *** below $100, I would use the following bidding strategy:

Bid $65, 69, 72, 75, 79 starting with Las Vegas Strip and adding re-bid zones. If you don't mind staying off strip to save a few bucks, you can add the Convention Center too (but add it earlier to get the best priceline rate) which also has some nice 4 star hotels. Again, don't be afraid to wait and bid again, because rooms do become available if the hotel(s) are underbooked.

Just make sure you have your confirmed backup hotel, in case our bidding stategies fall through. Good luck on your bidding!

I respectfully disagree with the above...

I don't think you currently have a chance at the Venetian for $120 or less and also don't think you have a chance at a 4* on the strip for $100 or less (regardless of conventions... look at the hotel prices for these dates).

However, here are some conventions i did find:

TRUE VALUE FALL MARKET LAS VEGAS CONVENTION CENTER 09/12/2006 09/15/2006 20000 (some of these may stay for the weekend)

INTERNATIONAL VISION EXPO SANDS EXPO CENTER 09/14/2006 09/16/2006 17500

Here are better sources to check for Las Vegas Conventions

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I certainly don't like to disagree with the moderator...bad manners and all, but the proof will be if she gives it a try. We can always revise the strategy if she isn't able find a hotel. I got some great rates for midweek stays in August under $80 for 3 stars, althrough not through priceline.

Also, because she wants to book Friday through Sunday, I think that helps her chances too versus a one night stay, but it would be interesting to see the statistics on that. Any thoughts thereuare?

Also, thereuare, about the convention checker, your link is more complete, but I don't like that you can only check one venue at a time. Anyways, let's all see what happens next.

I meant to post above "I hope you can prove me wrong..." so i agree, we won't know unless she gives it a try. I hope i am wrong, but with rates at the V nearly $300/nite i don't think a bid in the low $100's has much of a chance.

Regarding the convention link above: you don't have to search just one venue at a time. Select the dates and leave the venue drop down at the default ('Please select") and you will search them all :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks to both of you for your opinions and advice. I'll check with the rest of our group and see if they are willing to expand our parameters a bit for either the 4* or 5* options you mention and try rebidding if they are up for it. We are definitely holding on to our confirmed reservations in the meantime.

I'll keep you "posted"...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]