Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Coastal) Holiday Inn Mission Bay

zzk9xr
By zzk9xr,
in

I am new on this forum and have read the FAQ's once. I need to book 2 rooms from 8/10 to 8/15 in San Diego and checked all the major websites like priceline, hotwire, Expedia and Travelocity"]Travelocity and all are over $150 per night then I finally found out this website, now I need to know what would be the best strategy to get a good hotel in a nice area for under $100 including tax.

I would like to stick with priceline for a 3* and up hotels. Most important for me is that the hotels have to

close to major attractions OR beaches (zoo, sea world, lego park) etc as I am traveling with the kids.

I am not familiar with any of the zones mentioned on Priceline in the SD area, so don't know what to pick. I picked downtown and $60, $65 and $70 all three were rejected.

Just trying to save some bucks on hotels which I will be spending in the zoo,sea world etc... anyway.

A step by step help of what zones to pick first would really help.

Thanks in Advance.

Well, I can help you break it down a bit. If you want to spend a night or two in Carlsbad, near Legoland, you should be able to find a nice 2.5 doubletree or Extended StayAmerica in the $35 to $65 range per night.

If you are willing to do a 20 minute commute from Del Mar to San Diego, you might find 3* and 4* Hilton or equivalent in the $50 to $90 range for your date.

But if you really want to be in San Diego, your bidding zones would be Downtown San Diego, Point Loma-Shelter Island, Mission Valley (which includes some flea traps), Coronado and Coastal San Diego (the last two being very high rent/rebid zones). You should be able to bid a 4* for $80-$110 and 3* from $70-$100.

I assume you are aware of the priceline policy of promising only one bed since you said you have kids.

Hope this helped.

"I assume you are aware of the priceline policy of promising only one bed since you said you have kids" please explain, what happens when I show up with the Kids, do they reject the Priceline bid price and they charge me the standard ongoing rate or they just add few extra $ to the bid price. Any suggestions?

"Mission Valley (which includes some flea traps)" I am lost here.

Priceline reservations only guarantee double occupancy... after that it is at the discretion of the hotel. In some areas (such as NYC), and in some chains (such as Candlewood Suites), there are few/no rooms with more then one bed.

Although i haven't heard of it happening, in an extreme case i suppose the hotel could deny you a room (ie- if more than double occupancy violated fire codes and such). Often requests for two bedded rooms are honored, sometimes with an additional charge, but sometimes they're not able to as the hotel may be full. A few users travel with inflatable air mattresses for times when they're not able to get a room with two beds.

If you're not able to accept this risk than priceline may not be the answer and you may want to try HOTWIRE which allows you to search for up to quad occupancy.

You can read more about this topic in the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Let us know what you decide and we will advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for not explaining Mission Valley. Mission Valley is the I-8 freeway Corridor which has many hotels in an area called Hotel Circle, and another area by Qualcomm stadium. There are a few very nice priceline hotels there, but also a few not so great ones...such as the Handley Hotel and Holiday Inn. I normally am very cautious when bidding a 3* or lower in that area as you may win your bid at a less than desireable location.

:) What am i doing wrong here?

Started bidding at Del Mar for a 3* from 8/10 to 8/13 for 2 rooms

Del mar - $60 -reject

Delmar - added East county - $65 - reject

delmar+east+Escondido-$68-reject

delmar+east+Escondido+mirmar-$70-reject

delmar+east+Escondido+mirmar+National-$75-reject

delmar+east+Escondido+mirmar+National+san ysidro-$80 - reject

delmar+east+Escondido+mirmar+National+san ysidro+mesa-$83 reject.

What I was thinking was to stay at del mar for 8/10 to 8/13 (see legopark and the beaches) and in downtown or coastal from 8/13 to 8/15 (see the Zoo and sea world). Reason for spliting is that checking in on sunday at downtown or coastal hotels and bidding for a 3* or 4* and getting a good price.

Any Help.

Thanks

Rates at the Hilton are $275+ per nite while rates at the Marriott are $200+... these are not rates where we typically see low bids (or bids at all) accepted.

The Doubletree is affordable but i think they typically accept bids just a bit closer to check-in date, and given the rates of the other two properties, maybe they're busier then usual too?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

:)

Got it !

Started bidding on Mission Valley 3* (1 Room) from 8/10 to 8/15

Mission Valley 3* - $80 - reject

MV added East county - $85 - reject

MV + east+Escondido - $90 -reject

MV + east+Escondido+mirmar-$100 - reject

MV+east+Escondido+mirmar+National-$105 - reject

Frustrated, so added another 3* (San diego Coastal)

MV+east+Escondido+mirmar+National+san diogo Coastal- $105 :) Got it !!!!

It is the Holiday Inn San Diego Mission Bay., only 1 Mile to Sea World

Free parking, don't know about the free breakfast.

Thanks for all the help and this website's FAQ's.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]