Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC MTE Grand Hyatt

Avella
By Avella,
in

Friends of mine are using Priceline for the first time. They are bidding for Saturday, November 29, the weekend after Thanksgiving. What do you think is a good bid to start with?

They would like to stay in the midtown east part of city (first choice) midtown central or times square next. Would be fine with a 3 star hotel.

Can anyone help with steps on rebidding in that area? Thanks so much.

They would like to stay in the midtown east part of city (first choice) midtown central or times square next. Would be fine with a 3 star hotel.

Times Square is not a Priceline zone. These are Priceline's zone classifications:

Lower Manhattan

Midtown East

Midtown South

Midtown West

Upper East Side

Upper Midtown - Central Park South

Upper West Side

Obviously the more zones you're willing to accept the greater your chances. Are they willing to accept MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS? What about MTS?

This would be just for the one nite, correct?

Did you ever get a hotel for your own needs on Nov. 30th?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, we won the Waldorf Astoria for $110. I thought I posted this, sorry if not. We were very excited.

We are staying at The Roosevelt Friday night and Saturday night because we have a two night comp. We thought we'd try another hotel for the third night even though we'll have to pack up and travel a few blocks. It's better than paying $289 for the third night at The Roosevelt.

Friends wanted to come up for Saturday night and possibly stay Sunday. Unsure at this point about both nights. Would like to be somewhat close to The Roosevelt but not as important as a great rate. They can bid again tomorrow evening. I tried to explain how the rebid works but I'm not sure I was a good help.

What is a good price to start? and what would you suggest as far as adding the different zones? Thanks so much for your help!!

I really would not have used priceline myself if it weren't for your postings and suggestions. Thanks again!

It sounds as if they have already tried bidding this and were rejected and can try again tomorrow. If so, can you find out their bidding history... the more detailed the better (what zones they bid and at what level, then did they add a zone (which one?) and raise their limit (to what amount), then did they add another zone (which one?) and raise their bid (to what amount), etc, etc))

It's late for both of us, so i'm sure you're friends aren't awake for you to find out :) . If you can get the info the strategy i provide will be that much more useful. I have an idea of how to proceed, but with their info i can adjust it accordingly and save time and effort in wasted bids. I'll look for your reply tomorrow and answer you then (they can't bid until then anyway).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is how they bid:

Midtown East $110

then added

Upper Midtown at same $110

then added

Midtown West at same $110

all at 4 and 3 stars

Maybe $110 is way too low. I know they should have increased with each rebid, but...

Where should they start price wise for this date?

Thanks for all your help!

I would try the following:

4* MTE bid $120, if rejected add

MTW and bid $130, if rejected add

UM/CPS and bid $140, if rejected add

MTS and bid $150, if rejected add

re-bid zone and bid $160

if the above fails then i'd start at a brand new Priceline screen and try the following (note the slightly different ordering of zones):

3* select MTE and bid $115, if rejected

add MTS and bid $120, if rejected

add MTW and bid $130, if rejected

add UM/CPS bid $140, if rejected

add re-bid zone and bid $150

If any of the above zones aren't acceptable or they don't want to bid that high, just report back and i'll adjust according to their needs. The above still may be a bit low for these dates, but i figured you could try this first and still have time to try again a few times before check-in date.

RE-Bidding Explained (<-- LINK) When bidding 3* or 4* in this area you currently have one re-bid in this area, try to figure out which one it is and feel free to post or PM me to confirm if you're unsure. As you will read in the above link, re-bid zones can change at any time so we suggest you double-check them each time before you bid (which is why we just don't post here which zone it is, we want to make sure users uderstand in order to avoid any mistakes in case a re-bid zone changes and other users read this in the future).

A new Priceline screen is closing the current browser and starting over.

Since the prices are so similar, i would try for the 4* first. In this situation i doubt it's the case, but for example, let's assume there is both a 3* and a 4* available at $150. If you just start with the 3* bidding strategy you'll end up spending $150 for a 3* hotel, whereas if you start with 4* strategy you'll end up with the 4* hotel for the same price. Hope it all makes sense.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the strategy posted or on re-bidding.

No luck!

This is what was tried:

4* MTE bid $120, rejected

added MTW $130, rejected

added UM/CPS $140, rejected

added MTS $150, rejected

new Priceline Screen

3* MTE bid $115, rejected

MTS $120, rejected

MTW $130, rejected

UM/CPS $140, rejected

Went then to 2.5*$140, still rejected (I can't believe she tried 2.5*) is that scary???

Between each bid she said it took about 15min then said check status? I've never waited more than a couple/few minutes, is that normal?? It took about an hour and a half to go through the process for her.

Any other way around the 72 hours with her husbands name???

I really am surprised that they were rejected at $140 3* when The Roosevelt's rate is $289 through them directly.

Any other suggestions???? Thanks!

Never tried the re-bid zone, didn't quite understand

ALSO, they have a dial-up internet service. I guess that is what is slowing down the process? Could that have an effect on a winning bid at all that it takes so long? I have a cable modem and I have always had a response within a couple minutes???

I think at this point they should try all zones because it is just for one night...What do you think? any zone to avoid?

I would take all the zones already bid at the 4* level and add UWS and bid $160 (i know they want to be around $150 but this extra $10 may be what it takes). If that is rejected i would add UES and bid $150. If rejected...

I would take all the zones already bid at the 3* level and add UWS and bid $150. If that is rejected add UES and bid $150 again. If rejected....

Then decide if they'd prefere 3*/4* in Lower Manhattan OR 2.5* in the other zones. Whichever their preference do that one first, then if rejected, do the other:

3*/4* Lower Manhattan...

Bid 4* Lower Manhattan at $150, if rejected...

add 3* and bid $150

OR

2.5* in other zones:

MTE bid $75, if rejected add...

MTW bid $85, if rejected add...

MTS bid $100, if rejected add...

UWS bid $120, if rejected add...

UES bid $130, if rejected add....

UM/CPS bid $140, if rejected add...

THEN (if both of the above fail):

I would try 2.5* Lower Manhattan at $150.

With all of the above said, there is a 4* on Hotwire in Midtown Central that appears to be the Sheraton NY coming up at $189 (your price may differ by a few dollars, double check amenities and star rating to those posted in our Hotwire Hotels New York list. That may be your easiest solution, and given the tough availability for this date (and those surrounding it) it's a viable option (although a little more than they ideally want to spend). The other option is to consider one of the NJ hotels and then commute into Manhattan.

Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully they'll get the fast Priceline interface and not the "we'll have an answer for you in 15 minutes or less" interface.

They won Grand Hyatt New York for $160. That extra $10 was it! We bid MTE, MTW, UM/CPS bid $160 and won the Grand Hyatt New York.

I hope it's nice...Do you know anything about that Hotel?

Thanks so much for all of your help! She wouldn't have won it without your help.

We placed our bid through savingsbarn.com

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]