Priceline Hotel: Bidding help? Millennium-Loop 4* 8/2/06 - 8/5/06

aeh2
By aeh2,
in

Hello everyone!

For the past week or so I've been trying to score a 4* hotel in the Millennium-Loop area for three nights (Aug 2-5) without success. Since there are only two free re-bids for this zone and star-level, I've tried a number of times, bidding as high as $115. It looks like there are several conventions that weekend, but all are relatively small. In fact, the reason I'll be in Chicago during that time is for a convention (one that's not listed on the Chicago Convention site yet). :)

The conference rate (at the Palmer House) is $159/night. Obviously, I'd like to get something nearby for less than that. I won't have a car, so I need to stay in the area. Assuming I'll need to take cabs to and from the conference hotel, I figure it's worth doing Priceline for up to $125/night. But I've been hesitant to bid that high because the dates are so far away....

If you were me, what would you do? Go ahead and bid my maximum, or wait it out some more? Is Chicago always expensive in August? Many thanks in advance!!

-Amy

My thoughts:

The Whitehall is available for your dates for $126/nite... there is no booking fee so actually equal to about a $120 priceline bid, plus it's cancellable up until 72 hours before your check-in date so it gives you the opportunity to continue to try priceline while already having a back-up reservation at a better price than the convention rate.

If for some reason the above does not work for you (or even if it does), i would consider adding the NMA-River North zone... it's not too far from the Loop zone and gives you more opportunities to bid (as well as making other hotels a possibility). There are plenty of busses/taxis which run down North/South Michigan Avenue that i don't think (imo) staying in one zone offers a tremendous advantage over the other (and personally i favor the NMA area as i found it a bit more 'city-like' with bars, restaurant, things to see/do, etc.)

The difference between $115 and $125 really isn't that much, so i would probably be bidding that high right now (or stopping at $120 if the Whitehall above works for your plans) in order to incrase the chances of locking something in and not having to think about it for the next few months.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for all this advice!

Using the EasyClickTravel link, I booked the Whitehall for $128/night. At least it's better than $159!

I'll keep trying Priceline, as advised, adding the RMA zone. Tried today (using the SavingsBarn link), bidding up to $105, but no luck. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks again!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]