Priceline Hotel: Cancun - Vacation help please

owl
By owl,
in

Hi - Thanks for this very informative site!

I need some help please. My wife and I want to book the JW Marriott in Cancun from 6/25-6/30/2006 - I've seen references to the JW Marriott as a 5* and as a resort. It seems "Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach Cancun" is also a 5* in the same priceline area...

Is there any way I can guarantee the Marriott? If I bid on a resort, there's a great chance I will get the Omni (or another) instead of the Marriott, right?

I haven't seen any other posts on successful bids for Cancun recently on the boards here...

thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply... I was hoping someone would know an updated list of the 5 star hotels in the downtown/beach Cancun area. The hotel listing currently here shows only resorts for the cancun area, but priceline shows 1-5* and resorts as the options. If I knew what other 5* places are in Cancun through priceline I would be more willing to be flexible with my stay.

Right now, priceline offers a pre-priced vacation package including airfare for the JW Marriott for $1943 from SFO. I calculated the same package for around $1750 (including hotel and air fees) if I am able to get JW Marriott for $105/night, as another user got that price back last year. There have been no reported priceline bids/wins for Cancun for the recent timeframe (because of hurricane Wilma).

I doubt that the $105 price will come up as it did for me, since they will be trying to make up for the lengthy closing.

I think that they are scheduled to open in June but I don't know for sure.

I ended up staying at the Presidente for 1 night and at VCI condo for 7 nights.

I am going back next March and staying at Royal Mayan condos.

I was extremely disappointed that the JW was not open in time for my trip, but now that I have been to a Royal Resort I would not stay anywhere else in Cancun

I chose to go via the priceline vacation package route to guarantee the JW Marriott - dates are 6/25-6/30 for ~$1950. The flight from SFO was around $1210, so the JW Marriott was about $740 for 5 nights, which comes out to be $148/night inclusive of taxes/fees. Not bad at all... and the priceline vacation package actually let me see and choose flight times and airlines.

JW Marriott officially opens June 1, 2006 - I hope this means the place is freshly renovated rather than still having renovations *still* going on...

I won a bid for $104 last February for a stay at the JW Marriott--obviously I never made it there because of the hurricane and received a full refund from Priceline. I bid for next February (2007)--resort/Cancun and was accepted at the Marriott Casa Magna for $104. Would have loved the JW but am still quite pleased with the Casa Magna--a friend stayed there before the hurricane and loved it. I noticed that they're not accepting reservations on their site until June 22.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]