Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy - NYC 4* - 7/10 - 7/14

chronic_ker
By chronic_ker,
in

Need help with bidding strategy for a 4* in MTW/MTE

First Time traveller to NYC.

Dates: 7/10 - 7/14

Travellers: 2 Adults and 2 Children

Willing to spend max.:$185(not sure if this is reasonable for summer in NYC)

Failed bids from $150-$185 (tried with MTW/MTE and UES/UWS as rebids)

The rates on Priceline with the the 4* for Midtown vary between $250-$320.

I have looked at other posts and the only one close to the above dates was someone getting the Grand Hyatt for the week before at $175. I also read some other posts that said $175 might be a little high and that summer rates should be cheaper but I havent been able to find anything.

Should I wait till the dates get a little closer and book a backup for now?

I would appreciate any help with the strategy and rates.

Thanks!

Are you sure you're comfortable (using Pricline and) bidding for only one room?

Priceline only guarantees double occupancy and you'll be looking for quad occupancy... which isn't such an easy thing to come by in NYC where rooms are notoriously small and there is a greater percentage of one bedded rooms than elsewhere in the country (such as Orlando which are a bit more family oriented)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If I will be traveling with the family (2 kids), I probably shouldnt use Priceline. But looking at other sites, the cheapest rates I am getting are at a minimum $250/night for a 3* in Midtown.

The more I think about it and the more I talk to others who have used Priceline in general (not necessarily for NYC), the more I am being discouraged from using it on this trip.

Looks like I should suck it up and pay. Any other advice?

You could book a 1BR suite at the Beekman Tower for $188/nite. This hotel will only show if you search for two adults using the previous link (not quad occupancy), but nobody i know has had a problem yet since there is one bed in the bedroom and a pullout sofa in the living room.

If your kids are fine sleeping on a pullout i think that may be your best option and the reviews are good.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]