Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

Agoust
By Agoust,
in

I bid four stars in the following areas, upping my bid each time.

$125 - CPS

$130 - CPS/UES

$135 - CPS/UES/UWS

$140 - CPS/UES/UWS/MTS

$150 - CPS/UES/UWS/MTS/MTW

No dice!

I'm not willing to bid Midtown East or Downtown. For many years I lived in pretty squalid apartments on the Lower East Side and in the West Village. I'd like to see what a four-star hotel feels like.

I have a backup reservation--barebones, empty apartment at $100/night.

I think I'm willing to go as high as $165. Do I have a prayer--particularly at this star-level and during the week?

Hmm... Up around the Park would be ideal, although within walking distance of the theatre district would be nice, too.

Above I stated I was unwilling to bid MTE--I don't want to be out by the UN. However, on closer examination I'm not sure I'm seeing a four-star property out there. Am I right? Otherwise, the more centrally located four-star hotels would be ideal.

I also stated I was unwilling to bid Downtown. Soho/Tribeca would be wonderful, but I'm hesitant to chance ending up down in the Financial District.

Thanks again for any/all help.

The Millenium UN used to be a 4* hotel in the MTE zone but a few months ago was downgraded to 3*; so there are no known 4* hotels in the 'far east' of the MTE zone, but of course you could always be the first to report a new hotel in this area (or a previous hotel upgraded to 4*). This is a risk you'll have to accept if you want to bid this area.

If it were my own stay i would be comfortable bidding 4* MTE, but i would not bid 4* Downtown/SoHo.

Let us know your thoughts/risk tolerance and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your speedy reply!

Yes, after reviewing recent wins in MTE I'd be thrilled to stay at any of those four-star properties. I'd love to stay in Soho or Tribeca--not too far from the squalor of my salad days--but I don't want to end up in the Financial District.

So, I'm willing to bid all areas with the exception of Lower Manhattan.

What should be my strategery?

Thanks again for your help.

Assuming you bid the above (the strategy in your first post) this morning this is how i would bid now:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected clsoe browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected clsoe browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and re-bid zone2...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165.

The above will take you up to your bidding limit. Do note that this is based upon the previous bidding in your first post being done earlier this morning... this is not the strategy to use if that bidding was done a few days ago or if you don't get to bid the above for a few days.

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a chance you're just early, but i'm more inclined to think that rates and high-season (if there is a season in NYC) are more likley to blame.

Do you have a back-up reservation yet? (if so, where and how much?) If not successful for a 4* with the opaque suppliers what will you do? If you haven't yet looked at conventional rates you may be surprised at just how high they are.

I had no luck with June 14 - 16 using thereuare's bidding advice in this thread. So I altered my nights a bit, thinking that a weekend night might have a bit more availability.

I began at $110 and went up to $130, adding UM/CPS and rebid zones. No dice. Closed my browser and restarted.

I selected MTE and MTW and bid $135. I got a message that for $22 more I could rebid immediately. I closed my browser and rebid MTE/MTW and UES at $140. No dice. I bid MTE/MTW/UES/UWS at $145 and got the Hilton New York, Sixth Avenue and 53rd, just below Central Park. Very happy! The Hilton's site shows a price of $289/night for these dates, or $268/night nonrefundable.

Each time I restarted Priceline I entered using the link at Savings Barn, including my winning bid.

Check-In Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006

Check-Out Date: Saturday, June 17, 2006

Hotel Name: Hilton New York

1335 Avenue Of The Americas

New York, New York 10019

Your Offer Price: $145.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $290.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $56.45

Total Charges: $346.45

Many thanks to thereuare for assistance!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]