Priceline Hotel: 5* Bangkok (Sukhumvit) Westin Grande

worldtraveler
By worldtraveler,
in

I'm getting ready to bid for 2 nights in early April in Bangkok.

When I go to Priceline, I'm seeing something I've never seen before (granted I don't have a ton of bidding experience either.

I selected "Riverside" and 5* first and it pops up with a message that says the Median price for Bangkok $326!Ok...so I put $70 in the box and it pops up another message that says "based on recent data, your price has little chance of being accepted". If I increase it to $75, the message disappears.

Repeat with "Siam Square" and the median price for Bangkok is now $119. Same message with $70 that goes away at $75.

Repeat with "Sukhumvit" and the Median price changes to $160 but the message about the chance of the bid being accepted does not disappear until I hit $90.

So, what does this mean? Do I have a better chance at a lower rate in the first two areas than the last? Also, I find it odd that the Median price changes, even though the message implies it for all of Bangkok and not for just that neighborhood.

So, any recommendations on getting a 5* for under $100/night including tax? Is this even possible any more?

Thanks for any advice.

Hard to say.. we've seen succesful 5star bidding for Bkk usually only for Sukhumvit area lately. The Shangri La in Riverside has apparently not shown up anymore for quite some time.

Did you check the rates for the common Suk-5-star hotels (JW, Westin, SGS) for your period? Do they have availability for the dates you want? Is there a rate change within the period? What dates are you currently looking for?

Just won the Westin Grande-$90 for 4/7/06-4/9/06. Tax and fees bring it to $110 per night.

It's a little more than I expected to have to spend, but I don't feel too bad about this since no lower winning bids have been posted lately. Plus it's for a Friday and Sat night at the beginning of a Holiday week.

I'm actually happy I got this hotel as I'm a SPG member and hope to get an upgaded to a club room.

Tried 3 days ago and all 3 areas rejected up to $85.

Started this bidding at $80 and added and area and $5 until I won at $90.

Westin's website lowest rates for these days is currently $145++ which does not include breakfast either. With 17% Thai tax that rate is $170 per night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]