Priceline Hotel: Help with bidding for MTW

rasmtsu
By rasmtsu,
in

I'm new to this whole bidding thing on Priceline. I think I have a pretty good grasp on how it works, but I do have some questions. First off, my planned vacation trip is for 15-19 May. Right now, I have issues at work (i.e. I may not get to go on these dates). As of now, I'm probably 90% certain I'll be able to go, but I'm don't want to place a bid until my work issues are resolved. BTW, my work is in the military, so there never really is a sure thing which leads me to my first question. Does Priceline offer any leniency to those in the military in case duty calls? I know many other businesses do offer this to the military, or are we simply out of luck? Second question, given my travel dates are over 2 months away is it too early to bid? I don't want to play the game where I keep low-balling bids in hope of getting lucky until I get within 10 days of travel. In other words, when I do make all my travel arrangements, I want them completely set in advance. I do realize that some hotels may release rooms closer to my travel dates, but I'm willing to risk that in order to lock up a good hotel at a reasonable price several weeks in advance (at the latest). If I can save $50-$75/night at a 3 or 4 start hotel, I'm willing take the risk of losing out on $100 by waiting until just before traveling. If I can't save the $75 or so now, I'd probably just stick with going to Travelocity"]Travelocity or Expedia.

Now for my more technical questions. First off is there a more up to date list of hotels and their star rating-- i.e. what doe Priceline consider to be a 3 or 4 star in the MTW area? Secondly, is the Paramount the 3 star of choice in MTW for Priceline? I've done a lot of research and it seems the Paramount seems to be the one most people get when looking for 3 stars in MTW. Again after researching the hotels in the area, I've heard some negative things about the Paramount. To me, what I've read would make the Paramount be more in-line with being 2 or 2.5 hotel. If I do bid, this is one of the hotels I wouldn't want. In other words, this would not be the hotel I would choose if I knew the names of the hotels offered. In light of this, would I be better of bidding on a 4 star for piece of mind? If I did bid 4-star what would be a reasonable bid? I don't want to go over $225/night INCLUDING taxes and fees. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Priceline bids are non-cancellable and non-refundable... i know of no leniency towards those in the military. Often Priceline does show 'compasion' and has cancelled reservations that were do to mistakes or other unfortunate instances, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when they'll allow it and not... it seems to be the luck of the draw (and more often than not the requests are denied).

You're certainly close enough to bid now, but i wouldn't do so until your plans are firm and you know that you'll be making this trip. Since bids are based upon current rates, i would wait until you know you'll be making the trip and at that point in time we'll suggest a strategy to follow (based upon the current rates).

Our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE hotel lists are up to date and are constantly edited as new information is reported.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160.

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and try:

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've followed the first half of your strategy. So far this is what I've done:

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160.

I'm in my 24 hour waiting period before being able to go up to my max limit. Thanks.

Went as high as $195 with no luck. Now we are getting into a range where getting a 4 star gets painful. We want to stay in a decent hotel-- i.e. not a shoe box or thin walls. I'm hesitant to drop down to a 3 star even though the price would be more attractive; although, I'd appreciate a bidding strategy for 3 star. Guess I'll have to hold my nose and hope not to get a certain hotel. Thanks.

How about a 1BR suite at the Beekman Tower for $188/nite?

The reviews are good and the price is right relative to the alternatives. The hotel is a little out of the way in that it is just under a 10 minute walk or so to a subway, but there is a bus stop right near the hotel (which you can take the a subway), and in May the weather should be nice enough for a short walk to the subway. As well, it's cancellable up until 72 hours before your check-in date, so you can continue to try priceline or other resources between now and then (and don't need to take the chance on a non-refundable reservation someplace that you may not want).

How does that work for you?

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like I'm going to be able to use my military discount to get a hotel (Sheraton, Sheraton Towers or Hampton Inn) for $200. Since my next bid would be in the $200 range, it makes no sense to continue bidding knowing I can get a gauranteed rate just as good-- if not better.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]