Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

tmeans
By tmeans,
in

I'm looking for a 4* hotel in in either MTE, MTW, or UM/CPS for August 31 to September 12. I read through the bidding strategy and a number of posts detailing bidding strategy for these areas, but I struck out all the way up to $210/night. I stopped bidding then because Hotwire has what is most likely the Drake for $223/night. My question is, am I starting to look for a hotel too soon? I understand this will be a busy time, but are prices likely to come down if I wait a few months to book? I understand the industry is pretty fickle and there are no guarantees -- I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice...?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I don't think it's too early... but it is too early to be bidding so high for dates so far out (it's usually not a good idea to follow a strategy given for somebody else whose dates are different than your own). Besides being 7 months out, i think that a 12 nite stay is going to add to the difficulty of your success.

Are you willing to SPLIT YOUR PRICELINE BID.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What is your maximum bid for the above sub-set of dates?

If we're looking at the same hotel on Hotwire for the other dates, i think it is the Inter-Continental (or a slight chance the Grand Hyatt) and not the Drake. Not sure if that makes any difference in your plans... all of are of similar quality, but want to make sure you're eyeing a specific hotel or location for a reason.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The $183/nite rate seems pretty good based upon current rates. Summer is usually slow in NYC, but this is an extended staty which may be worth paying up for a bit, and it also includes (i think) the Labor Day holiday weekend. If you could get the above accomplished, it would satisfy a very large chunk of your stay which would probably make the rest easier.

I would first try to beat the above. When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you''re not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

I would try the following for 9/3 - 9/12:

Selelct 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selelct 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selelct 4* UM/CPS...

Selelct 4* MTE and MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selelct 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selelct 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

If you are rejected for the above, i would then repeat the cycle but subtract $10 from each bid (so that you're starting at $110 and going to a maximum of $150), using the dates of 8/31-9/3 (the idea being that if you're accepted you could then complete your plans with the Hotwire offering).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

EDIT TO ADD: what i found interesting is that if you change the Hotwire searc to 9/5-9/12, you would expect a similar (or better) rate to show up since it's a shorter set of dates than 9/3-9/12... but the above hotel disappears and the rate jumps to $350+

I suspect that summer rates may come down as you get closer to your dates... Priceline rates in NYC during the summer are usually excellent, except for a few select dates.

However, i have to think that the above Hotwire rate is somewhat of a fluke, given the substantial price change when i eliminate dates from the range. From that standpoint i think the Hotwire rate is the best you will currently find for those dates. If you want to wait you may do better within a couple of months before your stay (no guarantees), but if you want to lock something in now i dont' think you will do any better.

OK, after more messing around with the dates (now it's become a game :) ), I found the Hotwire rate drops even further (to $168) for 9/3 - 9/11. I looked around for something for the night of the 11th, couldn't find anything reasonable, and then considered staying near La Guardia. Not a bad idea, given our morning flight on the 12th. I'll cross-post to the Hotwire forum, but here's what I ended up with

9/3 - 9/11 $168/night Inter-Continental The Barclay

9/11 - 9/12 $79/night Wyndham Garden

NICELY DONE!!! Looks like this is starting to shape up very well for you... it's nice when a plan comes together :)

I've merged your post so this thread reflects your Inter-Continental results and have linked to your Wyndham Garden thread above.

Please start a NEW TOPIC for the balance of your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]