Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Empire State Building) Affinia Shelburne

la globetrotteuse
By la globetrotteuse,
in

Hi folks!

I'm a Brit off to New York for the first time in May this year. Open to using Priceline or Hotwire to search but it sounds like Hotwire is better for three people sharing. I'm looking for a 4* hotel for three (two beds) in the Midtown East/Hell's Kitchen area, (I think that's zone 2 on Priceline?) near the Affinia Shelburne hotel (where the rest of my friends will be staying). If I could find a room in that hotel, that'd be perfect! I don't have a hotel preference, but I would love to have free wifi so as not to be slapped with international roaming charges upon my return!  I haven't made a bid yet but what prices do you think are reasonable for that time period and area? I'll be staying in NYC from the 6th of May to the 10th of May 2016.

I could go down to 3.5* to get a better price if necessary, as I'll be footing the bill on my own for two nights before my friends arrive.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Please confirm your desired max bid per night, as well as exact dates of travel.

NYC hotel rooms are often small/very small - two beds is usually a paid upgrade. PRICELINE bidding is almost certain to result in one bed in Manhattan. HOTWIRE searching for more than 2 in the room should result in some form of bedding (could be two beds, could be 1 + rollaway) Some HOTWIRE listings do offer specific bed choice on the detail page. Finally, some PRICELINE EXPRESS listings also do offer bed choice, indicated by a bed choice icon on the listing - specific options that are available for that hotel are shown on the next page.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Few comments/questions to add in addition to those already asked above:

4 hours ago, la globetrotteuse said:

I'm looking for a 4* hotel for three (two beds) in the Midtown East/Hell's Kitchen area

These are two different areas:

Midtown East

Midtown West / Hells Kitchen

... however, if you're looking to be near the Affinia Shelbourne, that is in the Empire State Building zone

as I'll be footing the bill on my own for two nights before my friends arrive

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?  If you're willing to change hotels mid-trip, you may be able to save money by staying at one hotel the first 2 nites (and booking for single/double occupancy)... then a different hotel for the last 2 nites (booked for the triple occupancy that you need)

(two beds)

While i know perhaps not ideal, would one bed plus a pullout sofabed at the 'second bed' be acceptable?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Weird...I replied to this post yesterday but it's not showing up? Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the replies.  I wasn't aware there were two Midtowns so if Empire State Building Zone is close to Affinia Shelbourne, that's the area I'm interested in. There's been a change of plan, the third person is no longer coming so I'll be looking for a room for two, using either Priceline or Hotwire, not sure what the difference is between Priceline and Priceline express? I'm happy to split the bid, but I will be staying alone the first and last night i.e the 6th and the 9th, so 7th and the 8th would be shared.  Confirmed dates for total stay May 6th - May 10th 2016.

I was reluctant to put prices because I'm not sure how accurate or realistic they are, but I'd like to pay $80-$100 for the shared room in a 3.5* and above and $40-$60 for the single room, if splitting the bid.  I'd be prepared to stay in any zone (for the 6th and the 9th) and could also stay in and could stay in a hotel 2.5* and above.  Hope that all makes sense.

Please let me know if it doesn't and I'm happy to take suggestions regarding price adjustments.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, la globetrotteuse said:

I'm happy to split the bid, but I will be staying alone the first and last night i.e the 6th and the 9th, so 7th and the 8th would be shared.

Since your shared nites are in the middle of your trip, ad you willing to change hotels twice (so 3 hotels in total)?

1 hour ago, la globetrotteuse said:

but I'd like to pay $80-$100 for the shared room in a 3.5* and above and $40-$60 for the single room,

Your budget is not realistic on a few levels:

1) at current rates for the shared nites you would likely need to be in the $110-$130 area for a 3* if you're only willing to stay in the ESB zone... what may be the Affinia Shelbourne is available for $147/nite fir these dates if likely being at the same hotel as your friends is worth the additional expense

2) for the solo nites you're not going to find anything in NYC in the $40-$60 area unless maybe it's at a YMCA or a youth hostel.  We sometimes see sub-$100/nite wins in NYC for solo Sunday nites (the slowest nite of the week for most hotels), but neither of your solo nites are a Sunday nite, although you are 'benefiting' from the lower Sunday nite rates in your 2 nite stay

If you want to get a general feel for what NYC hotel typically cost (without using PRICELINE / HOTWIRE) search our sister site maps.hotel for your various date combinations for within '3 miles of Times Square' and filter the hotels by your minimum star rating... you'll that typical costs are usually in the hundreds.

Let us knwo your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare

Changing hotels three times is no problem.  I had a feeling my budget may be a bit low, but I really had no idea what prices were like in New York. Might be a good idea to do a little research first?...What I may do is go for the hotel which may be the Affinia Shelbourne and then do a separate bid for my two nights once I have a better idea of costs?  We'd like to all be together for those nights so I don't might paying the extra.  Fingers crossed it's the right one.  Is it a 4* hotel and is the hotel available on priceline or hotwire? Then do you have to pay the full amount for the whole stay or is a deposit sufficient then the rest can be paid on arrival?

Search HOTWIRE for May 7-9 and you''ll see a 4* hotel in the ESB zone for $147/nite with:

Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Pet Friendly

--> best guess for this one would be the Affinia Shelbourne (if it's something different then my secondary guess would be the Affinia Dumont, which is just 3 blocks away from the Shelbourne... but i do think the Shelbourne is the more likely of the two)

All 'opaque hotel' (where you learn the hotel name after purchase) purchases thru both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE and paid in full at the time the purchase is made.

Let us know how the booking above goes, or if you have additional questions, and we'll then continue with your two additional solo nites.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see this worked out so well for you and that you're so pleased with the outcome.

We have used this thread to reflect your purchase for these two nites, please start NEW TOPIC(s) for each of two solo nites of your trip so that the topic title of each can be used to reflect your ultimate purchase, and so that each will have its own link in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy this nite of your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]