TX Houston Marriott Hobby Airport

borisbear
By borisbear,
in

Have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 10 years. This is my first time here on a PL stay.

PL calls this a 3* which is accurate, although its nice for a hotel its age. Hotel is an early 1980s "atrium" style hotel in the Hobby hotel zone just to the east of the airport along the gulf freeway.

Marriott allows you to go to their website and pull up your PL reservation, and add in your Marriott Rewards number and change the preferences (i.e. change the res to a non-smoking room, etc.). It also reveals the rate to be "Priceline/Worldspan Prepaid" rate, but they block out the actual rate paid.

Priceline-specific treatment: Arrived at hotel late, around 10pm. Check in was no different then any other time, except for her mentioning that it was a prepaid rate. I did get a room only on the 3rd floor (I usually prefer higher), but it was 10pm and I don't really have any clout with Marriott anymore.

By the way, this hotel has an unusual front desk--they use a couple of individual podiums for the check-in area, like a restaurant, instead of a big front desk registration area. Only place I've ever seen that.

The hotel is in good shape. It has a nice indoor pool/hot tub and workout room. The yukky "Damons" restaurant/sports bar has been replaced with something that looks more normally like a hotel restaurant--haven't tried it yet.

Room is typical Marriott (foam bed and all!), but in good working order and clean. Internet is a little expensive at $12.95 per day, and like all hotels, there are not enough plugs for all of our modern-day chargers.

Parking is free. The entrance to the hotel comes up quickly--it's immediately after the Discount Tire store, and don't miss it, because it's two "texas turns" (under-freeway u-turns) and a long way back around again.

Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel--there is definite road noise which carries up from the freeway.

In my opinion, this is the nicest traditional hotel around Hobby, with the Hilton second, and a succession of other hotels third. It is much nicer than the courtyard down the street, for example.

• 1 year later...

We've won this Mariott twice through Priceline. Both times we were very pleased. The staff is very friendly and accommodating (without being overbearing). The hotel is a little older, but is beautifully maintained. Even though close to the airport we didn't notice any noise either stay (one of which we had a room with a direct view of the airport). The rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated. My only hotel specific quibble is that the rooms are a bit on the small side... but not small enough to really bother us. I would actually put this one at the upper end of the 3* range (as 90% of Holiday Inns seem to be qualifying as 3*... and this one is WAY nicer than a typical Holiday Inn). The immediate area is a little shady, but that's not the hotel's fault (it's not like any other hotel in this zone would be in a "better" area). As long as you have a car to get around (and aren't stuck in the immediate area) I would recommend this hotel.

• 8 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]