Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Midtown East) The Westin New York Grand Central

ph67
By ph67,
in

I'm not seeing any 4* hotel offered with this amenity set... is it possible this property is 4.5* rated?

Also, please follow-up your previous Hotwire Montego Bay hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, closed the previous thread.

Yes, it's 4.5 stars and it's 2 adults, 1 child.

I'm staying at the Hilton Midtown for a couple other nights so would like something close by so I can potentially walk the luggage over.  I'm guessing this is the Waldorf Astoria.  I was hoping to get a better rate (Canadian and am currently getting killed on the exchange).  I was thinking about waiting it out a few more weeks but Hotwire gave me a warning that it was a busy week).

Unfortunately i'm not certain of this 4.5* MTE property, but my suggestion would be to try to focus on the best deal you can and not worry so much about the location of being able to walk from the Hilton.  Just about anything in midtown will be less than a $10-$15 cab ride away, so you're basically talking about adding $5-$8 per nite on to your hotel room cost... something that can be saved by choosing the best deal/value for your additional nites, as opposed to focusing on something that will be walkable from your previous location.

What is your target/maximum budget (before taxes/fess) for these addition two nites?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

EDIT TO ADD:

Thru further research i think the 4.5* hotel above is likely The Westin New York Grand Central... if correct would not be walk-able with luggage from the Hilton (assuming the Hilton on Sixth Ave at 53rd St... but perhaps at this price is worth a taxi ride as per my comments above)

Another side note:

While at the Hilton Midtown, do try the hallal cart on the south west side of Sixth Avenue next to the Hilton... 'the' cart you want is the nightime one that starts serving at 7:30pm and goes until about 4am.  It's a good 'new yorker' experience as evidenced by the lines you will see at all hours of the nite.

Let us know what you decide regarding these additional nites or how we can be of further help.

Thanks, especially for the food cart tip!

Because of the exchange, I was hoping to get a place for around $120/night but I think that's going to be impossible given the availability I'm seeing.  I am seeing a boutique place available for the price but looking at the TA reviews (very variable), I may pass.  My husband really hated the "boutique" place I booked last time we went although it was nice and perfectly clean, imo, so I'd rather get brand-name if I can which is why I'm looking at Hotwire because the complaints I get for going below 4 star.  At $160, I'm already paying over $200 Canadian (currently C$1 = US$0.75) so that's pretty much the top of my range.  Although, as we have flights and the other two nights already booked and I don't want to stay outside of Manhattan, in the end, we will have to pay what we have to pay.

It doesn't really have to be walkable from the Hilton Midtown but it's easier if it's in the same area, imo.

I'm not seeing anything near the $120 price point... and even the 4.5* MTE property at $166/nite above has gone up in price.

Let us know if you find anything that appears within your budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet.  The exchange rate was moving in my favour but the hotel rates were not.  I decided betting on the exchange rate would not benefit me in the end.

I'm not sure how to see the US $ rate?  I believe it was $173 but not positive since the reservation is showing it in CAD.

The Westin New York Grand Central

April 22-24 (2 nights)

2 adults, 1 child

4.5 star

Amenities

• Pet friendly
  • Smoke-free rooms
  • Fitness center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business center
  • Internet access

Rate

CAD 229.98 per night for 2 nights

CAD 133.90 taxes and fees

CAD 19.94 promo code

CAD 573.92 Total

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the ultimately outcome and are looking forward to your trip.

While at the Westin, this is a moderate walk away (about 10-15 minutes) but worthwhile for one of the best bagels in the city and an inexpensive breakfast among local NYers:

Ess-a-Bagel

831 3rd Ave (on Third Ave between 50th St and 51st St)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]