Priceline Hotel: 5* - Salzburg, Austria - No bids accepted

Ariana13xy
By Ariana13xy,
in

Hey BetterBidding Friends!  It's been awhile!

Linked to PRICELINE through BB's link, after reviewing the list of known participating hotels in Salzburg.  Looking for a 5* in Salzburg from March 28 - March 30 (2 nights).

Started with Salzburg West - Old Town Area (Priceline shows 5* hotels only in the "Salzburg West - Old Town" and "Central Salzburg" areas).  Selected only 5* hotels.  Bid $90.  Rejected.

Added Central Salzburg.  Bid $92.  Rejected.

Added Salzburg East.  Bid $95.  Rejected.

Added Salzburg Station.  Bid $99.  Rejected.

Noticed that when I began bidding, a 5* Salzburg West - Old Town Area Hotel (amenities:  Pets Allowed / Business Center / Restaurant / Free Internet, rating:  9.0 out of 10.0) was being offered at a 17% discount, marked down from $371 to $308.  After two bids, I checked the Express Deals tab again, and presumably the same property had been further discounted to $289 (22% discount).  No counter offers, however, were made by Priceline.

I'll probably try one more time in a few days depending on price trajectories for my dates, but will likely go with something cheaper and charming-er! 

Cheers!

If PRICELINE's regular rate hotels are in the $300 area then you're sub-$100 bids on PRICELINE are probably not in the right ballpark.

What is your target budget / maximum bid for a 5* hotel for this trip?  What would be your maximum bid at a lower rated hotel?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello again!

I didn't see much price changes on either Priceline or Hotwire, and there was one particular 5* hotel to being offered for $83 on Hotwire and $89 on Priceline Express Deals.  After looking at location overlaps on both sites maps, traveller reviews and the "regular price" the sites displayed, I concluded we were most likely going to get the "Hilton Vienna."  We looked at TripAdvisor reviews and photos, and both concluded that in a city so full of unique places to stay, it didn't make sense to get a cookie cutter room in a middling chain hotel (#108 out of 368 on TripAdvisor).  After taxes and Priceline/Hotwire fees, we ballparked being in the $100-$110 range per night, so we found several other hotels in that price range, finally narrowing it down to the Pension Suzanne and the Saint Shermin.

I ended up booking the Saint Shermin through the Expedia mobile app for $103/night and was able to cash in $27.09 worth of previously-accrued points.

We're excited!  Thanks for the help!  Now onto booking Prague and Salzburg...  :-)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]