Priceline Hotel: Jamaica?

jicms
By jicms,
in

Unfortunately Priceline doesn't offer bidding for Jamaica. Hotwire has a thin selection that may not represent the best deals. But "no problem mon", Jamaica offers good value, so finding a relatively inexpensive place to stay without Priceline and Hotwire is definitely doable.

I returned just yesterday from Negril. It's perhaps not for everyone, but it has a near perfect Carribean beach, a funky nightlife, and the locals will welcome you like family. I stayed at White Sands for $64 a night, which was a better deal than anything comparable Hotwire was offering - a bit "rustic" but more than adequate for my needs.

Thanks very much Travelguy and Thereuare for the info. and advice about Jamaican bidding and hotels. Have been considering Negril but wonder if it's maybe a bit too friendly for me and my daughters although we do like lively evenings?! Is safety an issue outside of the all-inclusives.

Being English Puerto Rico sounds "exotic" to me as it's a relatively unknown destination from the UK. Staying on the beach near San Juan seemed ideal but have been a bit put off by reports of unfriendly locals, poor hotels and the beach not sounding too good.

I would say that safety in Negril is no problem at all really during the day. The biggest concern is probably if you have to cross the main drag through town - Normal Manley Blvd. - as there's a lot of traffic and drivers can be pretty crazy. Also, while sunning/walking on the beach it's quite common to be approached by vendors, who can be aggressive. But a polite "no thanks" or two will almost always be sufficient to dispel them. At night it's advisable not to walk alone on the beach, although I did it anyway and didn't experience any problems. Cabs are plentiful and cheap.

The cliffs of Negril are quieter, offering greater privacy than the beach and virtually no hassle from the vendors. On my next trip, I'll probably split the stay, spending half the time on the cliffs probably at Xtabi (where rooms start at just $65 in season).

In addition to the lively nightlife, the smell of ganja is frequently wafting around, topless sunbathing is common, and I believe there are brief stretches of nude beach. Nevertheless I hear Negril is becoming increasingly popular as a family destination. Indeed there was no shortage of young children during my visit -- and they all looked quite happy I might add!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]