Priceline Hotel: 3* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) L Enfant Plaza

brandiwaters
By brandiwaters,
in

I'm going to DC in February (Sun. 12 - Sat. 18) to attend a workshop. The workshop is in a hotel near the Virginia Square Metro stop (in Arlington). My only preference on the location of the hotel where I stay is that it is relatively near the Metro, since I would prefer to not rent a car. I don't mind staying in the Capital/Downtown/Dupont/Georgetown areas, and in fact, I'm kind of fond of the idea of getting a really great view in the Downtown area. What about the Arlington or Crystal City areas? Are the hotels in those areas likely to be within walking distance to the metro? My budget will allow me to go up to $110/night (of course, the lower the better).

I'd like to find a great hotel--show me the way!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can't choose your specific hotel, so there is no way to pick one close enough to a metro stop for your liking... you'll need to make sure that accepting a hotel anywhere wthin the zone's boundaries brings you close enough to a metro that you'd be happy.

Once you decide which zones are acceptable let us know your maximum bid and we'll try to help further.

You can use our PRICELINE MAP for the Washington DC area to assist in your research.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Alright, I used the Priceline map on this site in conjunction with DC metro maps and priceline's area maps to figure out that my best zones are Convention Center-Capital Hill, White House-Downtown and Dupont Circle-Woodley Park.

I want to stay under $115/night including taxes and fees. 4 star is preferred.

Again the dates are Feb. 12 - Feb. 18.

Thanks.

Based upon the above i'm assuming you want to try each zone up to your limit before moving on to the next zone? (as zone is more imortant than price? if this is not correct then dont' follow the strategy below and post back and we'll adjust accordingly)

When bidding 4* in Washington DC you have four re-bid zones avaiable. If you''re not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Based upon your maximum bid, this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* White House Downtown...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone3, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously...

Select 4* White House Downtown and re-bid zone4...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Convention Center...

Bid $75, if rejected add White House-Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Dupont Circle...

Bid $75, if rejected add White House-Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You could wait 72 hours or lower your star rating... it all depends upon your preferece of how high a star rating you're accustomed to.

It is not uncommon for DC to take more than $100 at the 4* level, and i think a 6 nite stay only compounds the issue. If you dont' mind changing hotels midweek, you may also want to consider splitting your priceline bid.

Do you have a back-up reservation? If so, where and how much?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise further.

At this point, I'm not interesting in splitting my bid. Might be willing to consider if the situation is looking bleak.

My budget for the trip is based on a package deal I found on Expedia at the Best Western Key Bridge. It is right across the street from the metro and just a couple of stops from where my workshop is. I would like to upgrade my hotel, as long as I stay within budget (package is $976, published airfare is $285--which gives me $115/night to spend on another room).

Using the priceline list of hotels I determined from the map, I checked published rates this morning and this is what I found (3 and 4 star hotels):

White House-Downtown

Renaissance Mayflower--$379

JW Marriott--$385

Hilton Capital Hill--$269

Club Quarters--$157

Washington Plaza--$159

Wyndham Washington--$172

State Plaza--$199

Holiday Inn Washington--$283

Capital Hill-Convention Center

Grand Hyatt Washington--$329

Marriott Metro--$389

Phoenix Park--$342

Hyatt Regency Capital Hill--$291

Renaissance--$345

Henley Park--$212

Dupont Circle

Omni Shoreham--$265

Westin Embassy Row--$214

Hilton Washington--$202

Not sure that this is an exhaustive list, but it should be a good ball park. Some prices were listed lower on Expedia than on the hotel websites, so I quoted the lower number.

As far as star rating goes, the higher, the better, but obviously a 3 star is an improvement over the Best Western.

Do you think I should keep trying for a 4 star or just concede and look for a 3 star instead? If so, how low should I start bidding for a 3 star?

Thanks again.

Only you can decide if you want to hold out for a 4* property or 'concede' and try for a 3*. I will re-iterate that i beieve it will be difficult to find success for this 6 nite stay. You would probably increase your chances somewhat if you raised your maximum bid a little, say to $120, but even then you may not find success, and i don't know if the extra costs involved would from your perspective justify the additional cost over the Best Western.

Even if you do lower to a 3* hotel and have success, it may still cost you more than if you chose to split the bid and received two different 3* properties.

If you do go with your back-up, please use our Expedia link to make your purchase. If you'd like to raise your bid, lower your star rating, or split your bid... let us know and we'll revise the above strategy for whatever you'd like to do.

Success.

I retried my bids for 4* properties, with no success. I started with White House-Downtown at $90, added Convention Center at $95, then Dupont Circle at $100, no luck.

Then I tried 3* properties. I put in White House-Downtown at $75--rejected, but was given the option to increase my bid $22. I declined and added Convention Center and went up to $80. My bid was accepted for $80/night at L'Enfant Plaza.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]