Hotwire Hotel: 4* Newark (Hoboken - North Bergen) Sheraton Suites Lincoln Harbor

unknown786
By unknown786,
in

Used the BiddingHelper.com tool. 

HOTWIRE EASY VIEW shows 4* Hoboken - North Bergen for 133 USD. Anyone know what hotel it is?

Full Amenities: Indoor pool (s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness centre, Pool (s), Restaurant (s), Business centre, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, in-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking

Also, does anyone know if the area is OK for tourists? Will be with wife and two small children (3 and 1) and looking for something that is fairly close to subway etc so can get to all the sights!

Welcome to BetterBidding :)

Best guess would be Sheraton Suites Lincoln Harbor.

The area around the hotel is a bit secluded but the hotel is perfect if you plan to use the bus (and not the PATH) to NYC everyday.

Boards Admin thereuare is local to the area so I'm sure he can answer your specific questions

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases. 

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Yellowdog.

Please start by reading your messages (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page and make the board easier to navigate)

... looking for something that is fairly close to subway...

Commuting to NYC from this area is done via a bus which will take you to the Port Authority in NYC (42nd St and Eighth Ave) where you can then walk to Times Square OR take the subway to other parts of Manhattan.

The immediate area around this hotel is a bit isolated (the hotel has it's own restaurant, there is a Ruth's Chris and a Houlihan's across the street, as well a a small food court where most (all??) of the food vendors are only open during M-F 'office' hours (ie- i wouldn't expect to use this at nite or on weekends). However, there is a walkway that has recently been completed and this area now connects easily to the north part of Hoboken which gives you access to more restaurants... but it is still far from the PATH train (which is this area's own subway system which goes under the Hudson River and connects to Manhattan)

I think Hoboken and/or the hotels along the Jersey City waterfront are more ideal (especially with parks for your kids nearby to each), but these will likely be more expensive and/or not currently available for your dates, and this is certainly do-able if Manhattan is beyond your budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and any additional questions you have and we will advise further... or how it goes if you decide to take this HOTWIRE offer.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for this. I have now read my messages!

Other options I have seen are:

3* Plainfield - New Providence - Kenilworth - $75 (Kenilworth Inn?) 

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Free breakfast, Free Internet, Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access

3* Hackensack - Paramus - Ridgefield Park - $83

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

3.5* Newark Intl Airport EWR - $94 (maybe one of the Hiltons?)

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Free Internet, Airport shuttle, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking

Although we are arriving at JFW, we are flying back from Newark which is the only reason I would consider that as an option! Als, I am considering renting a car so that we can go to some of the shopping outlets.

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Other options I have seen are:

The first two are not really options if your primary objective is to visit NYC... you're getting further from your primary goal.

The Newark Airport hotel could be an option if it were Hilton Penn Station (but even then the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor would be a better choice, imo)... but my guess here would be the Holiday Inn which isn't going to be an improvement over the Sheraton.

What is it that you're looking to improve upon over the Sheraton? What is your maximum budget per nite for this stay? (before taxes/fees?)

Als, I am considering renting a car so that we can go to some of the shopping outlets.

Not sure which outlets you're considering (Woodbury Commons or Elizabeth) but i would only rent a car for the day(s) that you want to go shopping... although there are also mass transit options to each as well.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just wanted to see what other options there were! 

My budget is around $150 a night....

Seems like the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is a good choice! 

In terms of shopping outlets, it would likely be Woodbury Commons but had thought a car would be better as saw some prices online offering trips for $50 per person! 

You can rent a car just for the day(s) you want to go shopping... there are Hertz and Avis locations at the north end of Hoboken that are walk-able from the Sheraton... as well as an Enterprise in midtown Hoboken (and enterprise will pick you up (call them to confirm) OR you could walk yourself (about 25 minutes) and then drive back to the Sheraton to pick-up the rest of your family)

The Sheraton charges about $20/day to park overnite as do most of the hotels along the Hoboken/Jersey City waterfront coast (other hotels in the $25-$30 range) so you may want to try to rent early in the day and return the same evening if just renting for the day.

Great... let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help along the way.

Good luck!

Help getting 4* Jersey City - ideally Westin Newport Jersey City

So far I have bid as follows (using the PRICELINE links here of course!!)

Only selected 4* deluxe.

First bid with just Jersey City - Hoboken - Weehawken - £51

Second Bid added Meadowlands - £59

Third Bid added Secaucus - North Bergen - £69

Fourth Bid - added Newark Liberty International Airport - £79

All been rejected.

Help please!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

Keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE would be the better option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Please post your bid amounts to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation by future readers based upon current exchange rates (it also saves me from doing some additional math ;) ).

The Westin is part of what i previously referred to as the 'Hoboken/Jersey City Waterfront'. See my previous comments above:

I think Hoboken and/or the hotels along the Jersey City waterfront are more ideal (especially with parks for your kids nearby to each), but these will likely be more expensive and/or not currently available for your dates...

If you're looking to pick a hotel, and are willing to pay the price to do so, the W Hoboken is the best choice in the area, imo... however, this comes with a price as i don't see this property currently offered thru PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE.

If you're looking to continue bidding on PRICELINE, what is your maximum bid price (in US Dollars before fees/taxes)?

You could bid up to a price of $139/nite (which after taxes/fees is less than HOTWIRE $133/nite rate)... but since the HOTWIRE deal can ensure 2a/2c, at some point it may be worth a few dollars more per nite to ensure proper bedding arrangements for everyone.

HOWEVER, you're not comparing apples-to-apples since the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is currently 3.5* rated by PRICELINE... so if you're using the price of the 4* HOTWIRE hotel as your basis for 4* bidding limit on PRICELINE, that strategy would be flawed.

Let us know if you take the HOTWIRE offer, or if you want to continue bidding, let us know your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Nice to see it was the hotel you were expecting and that you're pleased with the outcome.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the area.

Have a great trip.

I do have a question actually! 

Considering renting a car. Is it necessary for getting round in Hoboken? My thought process is by the time I've paid for a taxi from JFK to the hotel, then the hotel to Newark (where we are departing from), plus a shuttle/taxi to do a day at the outlets, I may as well hire a car! However, I wasn't planning on using it for the 2/3 days that we will be going sightseeing in NY, and then I also read that Hoboken is "one of the most walkable cities in the US" and that there is a very easy to use bus network! An alternative would be to just hire a car for the day we go to the outlets? 

Would appreciate some input from someone who knows the area :) 

To get around Hoboken you don't need a car... if you like to walk. As well, parking in Hoboken is tough, but i think the unknown for you is your kids... do you have stroller(s) for them and how quickly will they get tired?? (if you don't have strollers you may want to consider buying a couple of cheap 'umbrella strollers' (they fold up similar in size to a large umbrella) at Target, Kmart, etc. upon your arrival as they will come in handy around the city (and the outlet malls and Hoboken if you intend to walk there as well)

Keep in mind parking is ~$20/day at the Sheraton, so that is another added expense.

If you want to do JFK --> Sheraton cheaply you could shuttle it from JFK --> Port Authority (~$18/pp i would THINK at the age of your kids they would be free, but if this is an option i can look into it further for you)... then bus from Port Authority --> Sheraton ($3.20/pp... no charge for kids). It's not the easy commute with luggage for four and two of the four that can't really take care of themselves, but it's potentially do-able and depends how much the savings is worth to you.

A taxi from JFK --> Sheraton will likely run you about a $100+ when it's all said and done (taxi fare, toll (at least $13... possibly another $8 depending upon route), tip)

There are rental companies walkable from the Sheraton, i mentioned a few in this post... and there is also SIXT at the NY Waterway Ferry terminal.

If looking to take the family to Hoboken you could walk (in 5 minutes you'll be at the north end of Hoboken... would take about another 30-40 minutes to make it to the South end of Hoboken (it's about 1.5 miles from one end to the other end)

If you do spend time in Hoboken your kids will like:

Pier C --> a new park along the waterfront (3rd St at the Hudson River (in front of the W Hotel)

Church Square Park --> 5th St and Garden St (largest park in Hoboken with play areas for different age groups)

That should be enough to get you started weighing your options, and feel free to continue the questions as you progress.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]