NJ Newark Hilton Newark Airport

borisbear
By borisbear,
in

OK, completed my stay at this hotel.

Priceline specific treatment: I was welcomed to the hotel, no "ewww, a priceline stay, I'll give you a room next to the trash compactor". Gave me a room on one of the renovated HHonors floors. Had to switch since the room was a smoking room (complete with ashtrays) even though their room computer said it was nonsmoking. No matter, wound up with another renovated room on the 9th floor, which has been renovated. Make sure to ask for a renovated room (they seem to be renovating from the top down, and have at least gotten as far as the 8th floor (looking into the hotel one evening from the parking lot I'd say that they are working on 6 and 7 now as those floors were completely unlit at night).

Staff was friendly to me throughout my stay--even began recognizing me on sight by the third day. As an airport hotel, I don't think they get many multi-night stays, so perhaps I was a curiosity (who would voluntarily spend 3 days at Newark Airport?)

Make sure to get a renovated room (higher floors--they are going from the top floor down). It's an old tired looking 1960s building which has been reasonably well renovated, although things which are hard to change (elevators, doors, plumbing,etc..) are showing their age. Staff was surprisingly friendly for an airport hotel in Newark.

The notion of "convenient location" in and around Newark Airport is a fallacy, as the roadways there are screwy enough to make anyone cry. But that said, the hotel is about as conveniently located as any, although getting back onto 1-9 south is a bit of a challenge (getting back to the turnpike exit 13A requires some back-neighborhood trickery).

Rooms are well soundproofed--little outside noise comes in, and unlike hotels built later, the windows DO still open, if you desire.

Guest parking is currently $8 with in/out privileges. This is cheaper than the Wyndham/Doubletree down the street, which is currently $12.

Didn't use the restaurant or the pool, but they were there. HS Internet worked well, although it cost the Hilton-standard $9.95 per day.

• 7 months later...

So I stayed at the Newark Hilton 8/9-8/14. OK experience. Perfunctory service at the front desk--nothing like the enthusiastic service at Marriott (where I usually stay). Got to my hotel room and ordered room service. The delivery person had the room as "cash-only", even though the front desk had my credit card. I was confused and the delivery person was embarrased. He finally left after "believing' me. For the first night, the movie service in my room was restricted to "call the front desk." For the remaining two nights the restrictions were removed. Conclusion: Hilton set aside a cash-only HOTWIRE room. The room was very nice; no complaints. The hiccups in service were resolved. Thanks guys for warning me of a deficit in service. It lowered my expectations and allowed my to see glass-half-full. I had a good time

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I have stayed at this Hilton 5 times over the last 2 years while commuting for work. (I am an airline employee).

Please, please, please---ask for a room on a renovated floor. If you don't take this advice, be prepared for an experience that will leave you saying, "What a dump."

The hotel is on a busy highway (US 1&9 South). There is no alternate food within walking distance, and unless you take the shuttle back to the airport, there is no access to public transportation.

Don't get me wrong. If you need a EWR airport hotel for a layover, the room is very nice, and I can't honestly remember any front desk person ever mentioning Priceline except one who was curious as to what I bid because they were not privied to the winning bid amounts.

Nothing extra is free at this hotel- nothing. Pay for internet, local and 800 calls, parking. If you are disabled, however, and bring your Disabled parking placard, there are 2 spots in the front of the hotel for free, but if they're not available it's off to the garage for $8 with in-and-out privileges. So far, I have not had this problem in 5 stays.

If you have the need for just an airport layover with a free shuttle, this will do fine. If you plan to visit NYC or want to dine outside of the hotel if you don't have a car, then I suggest you read my review for the Country Inn & Suites Newark Airport for a tremendously different and consistent experience.

Hal

• 3 months later...

Our stay was from 12/31/06 - 1/1/07... literally a place to lay our heads after "watch night" service and an early morning fellowship breakfast with friends.

We arrived to the hotel around 6:30 - 7:00P and received a warm greeting from the hotel clerk. I asked what options I had for a room, and she asked me what I wanted. I told her a KB/NS. I got that and on the 12th floor without request... the highest floor and an HHonors level. Once in the room, I called the front desk and requested a roll-away bed... arrived in no time and was set-up for us.

We were pleased with our room, and it was spacious enough to accomodate a roll-away bed and sleeping bag. Our kids (16 & 18) stayed in the room with us, as we saw no need for addt'l expenses for a less than 24hr. stay.

We did not dine at the hotel, but our kids did use the pool, and said it was clean and nice enough.

Overall, we were pleased, and would stay again if in need of a place to comfortably lay our heads at night.

If we were looking for better highway accessibility, nearby dining options, and/or activities; we might choose elsewhere.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]