Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Loop - Theater District) Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

sschulen
By sschulen,
in

My wife and I are traveling to Chicago for our 1st anniversary from 8/7-8/10. Trying to find 4 or 4.5*, but if good reviews a 3.5* would be ok.  Primarily would like to be in River North or Millennium Mile, but if I had a clue of the hotel we would be okay with other downtown areas with a goal of spending $160-190/night.  Looking on Hotwire and Priceline.  Can anyone help me with these hotels listen.

4.5* Magnificent Mile/Water Tower $191 80% rec

Boutique hotel   Business center   Fitness center   Internet access   Restaurant(s)   Smoke-free rooms  Accessible for visually impaired Accessible for hearing impaired Accessible path of travel

3.5* MMN/WT  $159 (nl $233) 90% rec

Business center   Fitness center   Internet access   Pool(s)   Restaurant(s)

4.5* MMN/WT  189 (298) 95% rec

Business center   Fitness center   Free Internet   Indoor pool(s)   Pool(s)   Restaurant(s)

4*  MMN/Wt 168 ($269) 80% rec

Boutique hotel   Business center   Fitness center   Internet access   Restaurant(s)   Smoke-free roomsAccessibility

3.5* MM area. River North 194 (252) 85% rec

Business center   Fitness center   Free Internet   Indoor pool(s)   Pool(s)   Restaurant(s)   Self-service laundry

Priceline

4.5* N orth Michigan Ave - River North Area  -- 191 8+ reviews

Choose bed, Free Internet  Swimming Pool  Fitness Center  Restaurant  Business Center

I'll happily bid. Would there be a benefit to waiting for weekdays next week for price?  

Any help I can get I would appreciate.

Happy Anniversary!

The issue with bidding in this case is that you could easily get something that isn't appropriate for an anniversary. Waiting until the last minute is a bet - there's no way to know if rates will go lower closer to the dates. However, there have been less instances of "last minute" deals in the last few years as demand has ramped. There is no "best time" to buy, either.

Please list all amenities associated with a listing:

If you repeat your search using our Bidding.Helper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

To try and focus the search, I'll throw out a few listings that I think are appealing. The idea of a 3.5* for $194 when you have two 4.5*s for less doesn't seem that appealing for the price/value.

You may see a slightly different price than I do when searching.

4.5* Mag Mile-WT $191 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- Likely Hyatt Mag Mile (on St Clair). Very nice business hotel in a great location off Michigan Ave. I haven't had any issues there, but it is next to the hospital so I'd ask for a high floor facing away to avoid the potential of street noise.

4.5* Mag Mile-RN $200 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- The Palomar has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. If this is the Palomar, would be a fitting choice for the occasion - well-reviewed Kimpton boutique right in the middle of the restaurant-heavy River North area.

4.5* Mag Mile-WT $194 Boutique, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly

-- Likely W Lakeshore. May be of interest, but honestly, at this point I'd rather go with the potential Palomar for a few dollars more. 

The 3.5* Mag Mile-RN you mention above for $194 is likely the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (there are more amenities if you follow the directions above, but really, for that price, you have more appealing options so I really wouldn't recommend this.)

4.5* Loop $183 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely Wyndham Grand Riverfront. Not a bad option. More of a 4* but right by the river.

4.5* Mag Mile N-Water Tower $201. Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- The Omni has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. If the Omni, great choice - very nice all-suites property right on Michigan Ave.

I'm very familiar with the city - let me know if you have any questions. Additionally, let me know if you have any questions on the hotels above before booking.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks you for your help!  Decided to reevaluate this afternoon and made a 5* bid on priceline for 5* in the Michigan Avenue area. No luck, followed by a 4.5 *bid in the same area rejected at $153.  Not shocking as both are below what I would expect to be accepted.  Back to Hotwire.  

Current options are below with a few unidentified hotels. With the price difference ranging $30-40/night if we see something cheaper that with tax is a few hundred dollars we would consider as we really won't use the amenities at the hotel, but location and a plush bed are always appreciated.

MMA/RN

4.5* -- $201  -Palomar

FULL AMENITIES: Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

4* -- $186

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

MMN/WT

4.5*  --$ 189  -Hyatt

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

4.5* -- $192 -- W Lakeshore

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services

4* --$169 -- ?

FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

3.5* -- $159 --?

FULL AMENITIES: Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

Priceline has only a couple affordable deals in N Michigan Ave/ River North

4* 191

Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center, Free Internet

4.5* $215  -- a little too expensive

Pool, restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center, Pets allowed, free internet

To try and focus the search, I'll throw out a few listings that I think are appealing. The idea of a 3.5* for $194 when you have two 4.5*s for less doesn't seem that appealing for the price/value.

You may see a slightly different price than I do when searching.

4.5* Mag Mile-WT $191 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- Likely Hyatt Mag Mile (on St Clair). Very nice business hotel in a great location off Michigan Ave. I haven't had any issues there, but it is next to the hospital so I'd ask for a high floor facing away to avoid the potential of street noise.

4.5* Mag Mile-RN $200 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- The Palomar has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. If this is the Palomar, would be a fitting choice for the occasion - well-reviewed Kimpton boutique right in the middle of the restaurant-heavy River North area.

4.5* Mag Mile-WT $194 Boutique, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly

-- Likely W Lakeshore. May be of interest, but honestly, at this point I'd rather go with the potential Palomar for a few dollars more. 

The 3.5* Mag Mile-RN you mention above for $194 is likely the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (there are more amenities if you follow the directions above, but really, for that price, you have more appealing options so I really wouldn't recommend this.)

4.5* Loop $183 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely Wyndham Grand Riverfront. Not a bad option. More of a 4* but right by the river.

4.5* Mag Mile N-Water Tower $201. Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- The Omni has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. If the Omni, great choice - very nice all-suites property right on Michigan Ave.

AaronJB has already reviewed the listings for your dates and has picked out what he believes to be the best offers for these dates and listed them above... what are your thoughts on any of the hotels above? Do none of these work for your needs?

Decided to reevaluate this afternoon and made a 5* bid on priceline for 5* in the Michigan Avenue area. No luck, followed by a 4.5 *bid in the same area rejected at $153. Not shocking as both are below what I would expect to be accepted.

Given that you have only bid up to $153/nite for 4.5* and 5* hotels are you really interested in paying ...thru HOTWIRE at this time:

$159+/nite for a 3.5* hotel

$168+/nite for a 4* hotel,

$189+/nite for a 4.5*

... or would you sooner bid higher on PRICELINE before taking any of the more expensive HOTWIRE offers above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would happily pay those prices, but would have accepted whatever I got bidding low on priceline.  In the end, I want the best hotel I can get for the $ that will be a great place to introduce Chicago to my wife for the 1st time.  The options keep changing with different amenities and I am not sure the location on the hotels I am considering booking.  I very much appreciate all of the help.

To kind of break down the city in terms of HOTWIRE zone:

Mag Mile N-Water Tower: The top end of the North Michigan Ave area, as well as the Gold Coast area a few minutes walk North of the NMA area. The Gold Coast is a smaller area with a number of restaurants and a lot of nightlife. If you're up for a decent walk, you can walk from here to the Lincoln Park Zoo area, as well as Old Town.

Mag Mile-River North: Bottom half of the Michigan Ave shopping area, as well as the River North area, which has a tremendous selection of restaurants. 

Downtown-Millennium Park-Grant Park. The half of the Loop closer to the water, including the Art Institute. I'd be fine with the top end of this zone, not so much the South end of the zone or some of the parts West.

Loop-Theater District. Again, fine zone but if you want to be out later at night, you want to look for something in the center or at the top end of the zone. The West portion of the zone is going to be quiet at night and on weekends. The South portion is, too.

If you are going to be out later at night, I'd say staying North of the River is optimal, but the top end of the Downtown-MP-GP or Loop zones would be fine, as well.

As I've noted, in terms of an anniversary, I think the issue remains getting something that would be more appropriate for the occasion. The Whitehall or Allerton aren't great 4* possibilities in the NMA area on PRICELINE and some properties are more business/convention-oriented (the Sheraton, for example.)  Additionally, the positive of HOTWIRE is the idea that you can make an educated guess (no guarantees, but an educated guess as to which hotels are showing which allows you to look for something with a more optimal location versus PRICELINE bidding, where you can wind up anywhere within the shaded zone area.

I'm seeing:

4* Loop $144 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- The Hard Rock has been seen with this amenity set previously. The hotel may or may not be your cup of tea for the occasion, but I will say that if this is the Hard Rock, solid location.

4.5* Mag Mile N-WT $202 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Possible match for the Omni. Awesome location, big rooms - very nice choice.

4.5* Loop $185 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely the Wyndham Grand Riverfront. Location by the Michigan Ave bridge couldn't be more central in the city as a whole.

-- Likely W Lakeshore. 

4.5* Mag Mile-RN $198 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely James. Great, great location and very nice hotel.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer seeing the potential Palomar which would have been a great choice. The Hyatt Mag Mile (on St Clair) was $194, now I'm seeing it for around $20 more. Listings will probably continue to change between now and your trip at times - which may mean lower prices, but could also just as easily mean higher prices and/or less appealing options.

Would any of the above be of interest? Please let me know if you have any questions before booking.

I think the Omni, James, Wydndam all sound good.  We don't generally take advantage of the features with the 4* and 5* when we are there, but a nice comfortable bed and the ambience is always great.  The Hard rock is really attractive for the price, but my concern is if it isn't the hard rock we may sacrifice location.  

Again, I appreciate everything.

Congrats on your success. :)

Ultimately, I think this is a very good deal - you get a terrific location right near the Michigan Ave bridge (so right over the bridge you have the Michigan Ave shopping area), then right to the South you have Millennium Park and the Art Institute. Additionally, great price for what is otherwise a busy period.

Please let us know if you have any city questions at all (I'm quite familiar with the area.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]