Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Downtown - Financial District) Gild Hall- A Thompson Hotel

neikloe
By neikloe,
in

Hello together,

We (girlfriend and me, german) are going to travel to the United States, starting with 4 nights in New York City.

Recently we booked some flights to NYC but we still didn't booked an accommodation. And that's the reason we need your help :)

Stay: 8/1 - 8/5/15 (hope it's not too late to get a nice price)

Stars: the best we can get for the price

Price: up to 120$ incl. taxes (is this enough?)

Areas we are considering are:

Centralpark South

Times Squar Theatre District

Soho Tribeca

Downtown Financial District

If we can get a better hotel in Manhattan for the same price in another zone, then that would be an option as well!

Whats the best strategy to get a hotel for this price? Or is it better to use a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal or even hotwire?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

$120 including taxes/fees is really seen more in the slowest period of the year (January/February.) $120 including taxes/fees is really not likely going to be enough for a Manhattan property, especially in the zones mentioned.  $125-135 + taxes/fees may get you something not great in a non-central area (Upper West/East). For something of a higher quality (4*) in a central area, you're likely looking at closer to $175-200 + tax/fees.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please list your budget in terms of bid price before fees and taxes as it avoids any confusion.

A $150 all-in budget comes to about $120/nite before fees/taxes which will not likely be enough for a hotel in one of the zones above. It may be enough for a 2* hotel in the UWS zone, but this zone goes pretty far north and is usually not the most convenient zone for typical tourist, not to mention we recommend a higher star rating then this when using the opaque provides. While you could receive a low rated hotel that works just fine for your plans, you could also receive something that makes you loathe returning ot your hotel each nite and wish you spent a little more for something a bit nicer/comfortable.

To give you a better idea of what you're looking at in terms of pricing (all prices before fees/taxes)...

3.5* Downtown-Finanical $145-$165

2.5* Hell's Kitchen $125-$145

3* Times Square $150-$175

4* Madison Square Garden $170-$190

Do you currently have any back-up reservation (if so, where and how much)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts based upon my comments above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Right now we dont have any backup Reservation. We dont need a room in a tourist area since its not the first time in NYC for us. UWS or hk is okay for us (we can use the subway to get to the big spots).

Im monitoring the pricings and already noticed that 150 is kinda too less.

Our maximum would be 170 incl tax.

Allright,

I tried the strategy you mentioned here. It didnt work. I went up to my final bid:160$/nite + 2 zones Soho and Central Park South. Total Costs: $794.76 incl Taxes.

Hope its a good price.

Thank you for your Support. I will open a new topic for the next aim: Chicago :)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found something that works for your needs and are pleased with the outcome.

For the future, it's not recommend to follow a bidding strategy for dates other then your own since it could easily result in wasted bids (or worse, an overbid!)

I assume at some point in you included Downtown-Financial in your bidding as that is the zone that the Gild Hall is currently located in.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's about $100/nite less than retail so would certainly seem like a good deal to me! :)

For lunch, or a casual dinner, i recommend this place which is not too far of a walk from your hotel:

Adrienne's Pizzabar

54 Stone St

New York, NY 10004

It's a restaurant, not a slice shop... stick with the grandma pie which is what they are most well known for. Reasonably priced by NYC standards for the quality of ingredients, but drinks are a bit prices (which is typical for NYC)

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]