Priceline Hotel: 4* New York - TS or MTW - Sep 29th - Oct 3rd

horstman
By horstman,
in

Hello everybody,

I'm a trying to find something in New York, preferably in TS or MTW, from Tuesday Sep 29th to Saturday Oct 3rd.

After following this proposal, i can say NOPE... doesn't work for me  :(

The problem was that as soon as I used the TS zone (single or in combination with MTW), priceline immediately added a second hotel fee of 109$. Seems that there would be a suitable hotel with a resort fee!? Can I exclude such hotels from my search?

Anyway, my budget is approx 200$ per night all-in. Everything cheaper is appreciated, anything higher needs to show that it's worth the money :)

Any suggestions....?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It's not recommended following a bidding strategy for dates that are different than your own as it could result in wasted bids, or worse, and overbid. For example, the thread you referenced is for summer dates which is generally considered to low/moderate season in NYC... whereas your dates are in the Fall which is part of high-season.

At the moment rates are high for your dates and you're likely looking at $225-$225 (room rate) to be successful at the 4* level in midtown... rates are even higher if you're only willing to accept TS or MTW.

What are your thoughts about lowering your star rating, increasing your budget, and/or including other nearby zones? Not sure if it will help, but is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com? (after you do your search of '1 mile from Times Square, NYC' use the filters on the left side to only show the star ratings that you're interested in and/or use the slider to limit the price to near your maximum)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, just wanted to make sure we were comparing apples-to-apples.

What is the actual room rate per nite (before fees/taxes) so we know what rate it is that we're trying to beat? Also, this property is not in the TS or the MTW zone... are you open to expanding beyond these two zones?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Pod is just my backup. No real need to stay there, but in case all other options fail, I would go for it.

My reservation (incl. tax&fees) would cost ~ 1000$, thus 250$/night.

I would like to stay in TS or MTW (Pod is just the backup, so...).

--> Best deal in TS or MTW for less than 250$ all-in is required :)

Any interest in the Tryp by Wyndham New York Times Square for $189/nite (before fees/taxes)... or do you want to try bidding on PRICELINE?

If bidding, please confirm your maximum bid amount (before taxes/fees) and what star rating you'd like to try for first... we will then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

This 3* Times Square (confirm your dates on the landing page) is offered for $187/nite thru PRICELINE EXPRESS with Free Internet and Business Center and my guess for this one would be the Tryp By Wyndham New York Times Square.

This is fairly low vs. the other offers for these dates, but whether you should take this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer or try bidding on PRICELINE for a lower price comes down to how much you want to try to target this specific property vs. you're willingness to receive any hotel in the zone(s) that you bid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes if you take the above thru PRICELINE EXPRESS OR, if you want to try bidding, let us know if both TS and MTW are acceptable and your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

The lady next to me says that she doesn't like the TRYP guest pictures on TripAdvisor... Therefore it would be ok to get a different hotel in this area (which is hopefulla nicer :) ).

I would like to stay in TS or MTW and get something all-in below 1000$ for the 4 nights.

I understand that you are a local, right? What would you suggest? Take the TRYP and spend the saved 60$ for a dinner or bid for something better/cheaper?

What would you suggest? Take the TRYP and spend the saved 60$ for a dinner or bid for something better/cheaper?

I may know NYC better than you... but you certainly know that lady standing next to you better than i do. :lol: How would she react staying at the Tryp and would it ruin the trip if she was unhappy with the hotel? The reviews are mixed, but it comes down to what you want vs. staying within (or close to) your budget.

Would you rather compromise on the hotel and have more money to spend throughout the city OR would you rather spend more for a hotel but perhaps have to watch your spending a bit more while out in the city?

My recommendation would be to look outside of the MTW and TS zones... there are other nearby zones that are also considered to be centrally located, you really don't need to stay in the immediate vicinity of Times Square, and you will likely spend far less time in Times Square then you think.

Your thoughts based upon my comments?

Would you rather compromise on the hotel and have more money to spend throughout the city OR would you rather spend more for a hotel but perhaps have to watch your spending a bit more while out in the city?

--> I WOULD increase the budget. Well, even though there are mixed reviews, the TRYP or POD don't make an overall messy impression. There are always some better and some worse rooms.

My recommendation would be to look outside of the MTW and TS zones... there are other nearby zones that are also considered to be centrally located, you really don't need to stay in the immediate vicinity of Times Square, and you will likely spend far less time in Times Square then you think.

--> That sounds reasonably. Which areas do you suggest? Any (expectable and determinable) highlights in these areas?

Your thoughts based upon my comments?

--> I hope that the board commission is enough to cover your efforts :)

I'm seeing what looks like the Wyndham Garden Chinatown for $241/nite which gets very good reviews, and while not in midtown, there are multiple subway stations and lines nearby that can easily get you to wherever you are heading.

Not sure if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option or not, but while testing some date combinations i found this 3.5* in the Lower East Side zone for 10/1-10/3 for just $103/nite with:

Complimentary Breakfast

Smoke Free

Fitness

Business

... i don't have any insight into this property (showing no reviews by HOTWIRE guests so it may be a new hotel added to the system or a hotel recently upgraded/downgraded). HOWEVER, on my search for this property if you click-thru to the last booking page you may see a FREE CANCELLATION button (it's a appearing on my search, but may not appear on all searches, if you're not seeing it send me a PM and i'll walk you thru trying a few things). Assuming you see the free cancellation, you could essentially 'have a look' at this one and cancel if you don't like it... if it is acceptable, then you would also free up the budget for the first two nites for something nicer (or take the savings and apply it to doing something nice in the city that you might not ordinarily spend the money on).

Your thoughts?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

PS- in looking at the split dates it looks like 9/29-10/1 are the two nites that are driving prices higher. Not sure what is happening for these two nites but looks like some event(s) are causing the higher demand (and thus higher prices)

Well, I cannot really replicate your offer at PRICELINE EXPRESS...

It was thru HOTWIRE... but is no longer available.

So what are your current thoughts in terms of budget, zones, star rating, etc?

Sorry, I was too busy the last days...

Budget: still all-in for less than 1k$

Star rating: just got back to the ground. Everything > 3* and a proper review should be fine :)

Zones: Well, personally I'd like to stay central. Nevertheless, if adjacent zones provide better value or a better price, I would go for it. We arrive to NYC with Megabus to "New York, NY, 7th Ave and 27th St". I think something between the bus stop and the central park should be nice. Would you agree?

Everything > 3* and a proper review should be fine :)

When bidding on PRICELINE there is no information provided about the specific hotel you may receive, so there is no way to restrict your results to something with a 'proper review'... should we exclude the Times Square zone since it contains the Tryp?

When bidding 3* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS and MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

If the above is rejected wait 2 hours (from the time of your last bid), once again use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and re-try:

Select 3* TS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS and MTW...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185

If the above is rejected take the 3* PRICELINE EXPRESS TIMES SQUARE offer for $187/nite.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]