Hotwire Hotel: New here and trying to figure out how this works...

kmarie
By kmarie,
in

Hello! I was browsing another website and saw this site recommended by a number of people so I decided to stop by and check it out. We are a family of 4 (2 adult and 2 children) looking to stay in NYC July 10-14th. We are looking for a budget hotel and originally planned on staying in Long Island City for that reason, but thought maybe by bidding we could stay in NYC for around the same amount. We would like to stay around the $150 area and after doing a quick search on Hotwire using the link on your website I found a hotel in the East Village-Lower East Side area for $159/3.5*. Amenities include Business Center, Fitness Center, and Free WiFi. Any idea which hotel this could be? Is there anything we should consider before bidding on a hotel through Hotwire? I picked this site because we need at least 2 beds which I read here that Priceline does not guarantee. Thanks in advance for the help and please let me know if there is any other info you need.

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thank you to the other site for you referring you to us :) )

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 3.5 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Free Internet

Fitness

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

... if this is what you're seeing, the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side would be my best guess for this one.

Assuming you do win this hotel, this is right around the corner from your hotel a must do for your kids (and some nostalgia for you):

Economy Candy

108 Rivington

Once you win a hotel i can offer some other suggestions as well based upon your family's needs/likes.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, those are the amenities that I see but now the price is showing $160. Do the hotel prices fluctuate often? Also, I assume that all hotels won through bidding are non-refundable correct? Although we are pretty solid on our dates, my husband still needs to check with his work just to make sure there are no issues so I will have to wait to make a bid. Should we expect to add the hotel taxes/fees to this price and will we know ahead of time what they may be? Thanks again for your help!! 

Yes, those are the amenities that I see but now the price is showing $160. Do the hotel prices fluctuate often?

It's normal with a few $ up/down

Also, I assume that all hotels won through bidding are non-refundable correct?

Yes, but some hotels have an option to cancel. You will see if your hotel has this when you click through to the payment page. But this is not the standard, I think HOTWIRE is only trying this option on a trial basis for some hotels.

Should we expect to add the hotel taxes/fees to this price and will we know ahead of time what they may be?

Yes, tax + fee's are always added to the price. You can see your total when you click trough to the payment page.

Although we are pretty solid on our dates, my husband still needs to check with his work just to make sure there are no issues so I will have to wait to make a bid

Hotels/prices change all the time and if you think this is a good deal so don't wait to long

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help. 

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't end up bidding on this one and instead just booked a hotel in LIC. I did bid on a Jersey City hotel for a one night stay the night before and got a really good deal (I already reported my win on the NJ board). Thanks for the help and I look forward to using this site again in the future!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]