in

Amenities

Fitness

Free Internet

Airport Shuttle

Restaurant

Business

Golf

Considering staying at airport b/c prices are so high downtown for 2 of these dates. Any experience travelling into downtown daily? We are not doing any business near the airport. It's purely a leisure trip to the city.

Are you driving or flying?

As someone quite familiar with the area, I usually recommend the North Suburbs, which have a lot going for them, including a lot of restaurants, shopping and some sights (Chicago Botanic Garden, Ravinia Music Festival and more.) The other bonus is that you can take the Metra trains in, which are far more comfortable than the CTA trains.  If you are flying in, not doable/doesn't make sense, but if you're driving in, I find the North Burbs to be quite preferable. If you're driving in, North Burb hotels also have free parking.

All that said, in terms of the ORD listing, if you click on the listing, then click "book now", then "see all amenities" on the next page, do you see:

Shuttle, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

-- If so, that listing hasn't been ID'd/reported, but I'd guess this is the Hyatt ORD with a slightly different amenity set.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you are interested in the North Burbs.

-- Finally, I'll also note if you stay in the North Burbs, Lake Geneva (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60022-Lake_Geneva_Wisconsin-Vacations.html) isn't a bad day trip over the border in WI. The Chicago Botanic Gardens (chicagobotanic.org) in the North Burbs is also amazing and will look great at the end of May.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for the detailed reply! We are flying in. So, from what I'm gathering from your response, the South makes more sense in that case, correct? Is getting to downtown daily manageable? The $64 night Hotwire is gone this morning but it looks like others reported it was the Hyatt. If you think the south area is a good option, i'll wait to see if it comes back or book what I guess is the lowes (4.5* $123 per night).

The problem becomes if you are flying in and have no car, ORD is really the only good option in terms of staying outside of downtown.

The issue with ORD is the question of how much time are you really going to be spending in the hotel. The Loews (formerly the Intercontinental) is probably the nicest hotel out by ORD, but if you are going to be spending most of the day downtown and then an hour or so each way, do you really want to go for the 4.5*?

I'm seeing what I'm guessing may be the Sheraton ORD for $102 and what MAY be the Crowne Plaza ORD for $102. You may see slightly different prices - if either of these are of interest, we would be happy to point out which is which.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I guess my feeling is for another $20 a night, I'd rather stay at the nicer hotel. I would really prefer to stay downtown but the prices for the 28th & 29th are seriously high. Is it a crazy idea to stay all the way out by the airport at Lowes? Or is it doable? An hour to get to downtown? ugh. I don't know what else to do.

What appears to be the Hyatt at $63 per night is back. Can you give me your thoughts about how doable it is to travel daily to downtown from this hotel? It's a leisure trip and we will be spending all our time in downtown Chicago. The consideration to stay near the airport is purely financial as these dates are really costly in the center of town. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, rates are quite high downtown.

Personally, I tend to recommend the North Burbs vs ORD (not quite as far, more comfortable metra train vs cta train, more to do, nice areas, etc), but without a car it really would not be possible/wouldn't make sense.

If you were to bid for a 4* downtown, given prices where they are, you're likely looking at at least around $200.

It is about a 60 minute trip +/- a few on the CTA from ORD to downtown. It's certainly doable, it's just not optimal or the most comfortable. If you got a hotel by ORD with a shuttle, you could see if the hotel shuttle would take you to a Metra station instead - the Park Ridge station is about 4 mi away. That would be a more comfortable way to get downtown, but Metra trains don't run as often, especially on weekends. 

Unfortunately, without a car, it really is downtown or ORD.

Edited to add: I'm seeing what appears to be the Allerton when searching for 5/27-29 only for $167 on HOTWIRE. Expensive for what it is, but at least you would be downtown for those two nights. I'm seeing what may be the Hard Rock for $171. The prices you see may vary.

The first two nights aren't cheap, but it's the last night that's really expensive and is causing the problem.

Please keep all posts for this stay within this thread - thanks.

As noted above, one option is something like the potential Hard Rock for $171 for 5/27-29, then I'm seeing a $64 4* in ORD the last night. Not optimal, but the last night keeps the average down and you get two nights downtown.

The $202 amenity set has been seen with the W City Center, Blackstone Renaissance, Hard Rock and Fairmont. I'd lean towards the Hard Rock and Fairmont being more likely.

There is no way to know if rates will come down, but there are only 8 days left till this stay which is pretty much "last minute" - hotels likely are well aware of traffic demand. There have also been less in the way of "last minute" deals in recent years. Lastly, as noted above, the first couple of nights are expensive but it's the last night that's the real problem.

Help ID 4* Magnificent Mile Water Tower 5/27-5/29

boutique, smoke-free, fitness, restaurants, business center, internet access, accessible for visually impaired, accessible path of travel, in room accessibility, accessible bathroom, roll in shower

it's $81 on 5/27 - 5//28

it's $167 on 5/28-5/29

or $165 for the 2 nights together 5/27 - 5/29

I was thinking of bidding for each of the 2 nights individually since it averages at $124. I need a 3rd night too but it looks like this hotel (if in fact it's the same) goes up to $486 for 5/29 - 5/30. I see what looks like the InterContinental that night for $218 so I was thinking I'd switch to that one.

thoughts?

I'm guess warwick. thoughts?

Please keep all posts for this stay within this thread - thanks.

2x

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

I think you may be seeing different properties for each set of dates, as this is what i'm seeing when searching for 1room/2adults for 5/27-5/29:

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing, my best guess for this one would be the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

When searching for 5/27-5/28 i'm seeing a slightly different amenity set:

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... and when searching 5/28-5/29 i'm not seeing any 4* hotel in this zone priced less than $250/nite.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

PS- please follow-up your previous Hotwire Biarritz thread with whatever you decided to do for that trip. Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]