Hotwire Hotel: Chicago in October Hotel Help

rbfilho
By rbfilho,
in

Hello Everyone

I just received a confirmation that i've been accepted to the Chicago marathon and now i have to begin the travel arrangements. I already bought the plane tickets to Chicago and i will be arriving on Wednesday Oct 7 and will leave on Oct 13. Can you guys help me find a good hotel at an affordable price (preferably near the start of the race). I still have 6 months until the race, do you guys think i should book the hotel now or wait until June or July? I will be traveling alone and i'm planning on spending an average of $90,00 - $130.00 night. 

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on your acceptance into the marathon.

The marathon brings a LOT of people to the city and typically a spike in hotel rates... what is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is not a slow period of the year in general, but the Marathon makes for a very expensive period because of everyone coming in for the Marathon. I see a couple of options on Hot.wire in your budget for these dates, but I'm surprised there's anything reasonable. I'd really suggest not waiting for later in the Summer to book.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hello

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I will be arriving in Chicago on Oct 7, but i don't necessarily need to be in Chicago until Oct 9 to pick up the race kit. I was thinking about going to a town near Chicago and stay (and train) for 2 days and then go to Chicago, where i will leave on the 13th. Is there a nice town around / near  Chicago where i can do that? Do you think it will be cheaper this way or it wouldn't matter? I've been in Chicago this January and already know the city (at least all the tourists sights:-) and i would like to know a smaller city.

Please, let me know what you guys think and what you would do.

Thanks very much

Staying outside of the city the first two nites may help a little, but not likely enough to make a major difference and worth the hassle of needing to change hotels (in different towns).

Rates are high due to the extra demand for rooms, so while the demand may be higher for the first 2 nites of your stay, it's not excessively so, and therefore it's not the downtown rates for the first 2 nites that are driving up prices, it's more so the rates during the 'busier' nites (when you, and everyone else in the same situation as you, need to specifically be 'downtown'). As well, if you stay in the suburbs, you lose some of the 'buzz' and any pre-marathon activities that may be taking place the days prior.

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept for this stay?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you driving? If you are driving, then you have a wide array of options in areas near Chicago.

The Northbrook/Glenview/Northfield/Deerfield areas are great, then you could - if you wanted to - run at the Chicago Botanic Garden (chicagobotanic.org), which is built in a giant loop and is commonly used for runners. You could also use the nearby forest preserve trails.

The issue with the outlying areas is that, while there is public transit, it's often a short drive to public transit from hotels but not walkable.

Not a 3*, but in terms of finding a cheaper place to stay for the first couple of nights, there's a 2.5* for $109 in the Lakeview-Lincoln Park zone (a really nice neighborhood North of the city) w/Fitness, Complimentary Breakfast, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible.

-- This listing has not yet been ID'd, but my guess would be the Days Inn Lincoln Park with a slightly different amenity set than it's been seen with previously. Great location, great neighborhood, free breakfast and if it's the Days Inn, Lincoln Park is right there for running.

For 10/9-13, there's a 3.5* in the Downtown-Millennium Park-Grant Park area w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry for $131.

-- This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board. A guess would be the Silversmith with a new amenity set.

The potential Silversmith listing is showing for $127 if you look for 10/7-13.

You may see slightly different prices.

Would either of these be of interest?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]