Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Evanston - Skokie - Niles) Doubletree Hotel And Conference Center Chicago North Shore

bbelenky
By bbelenky,
in

This is the first time I see 4* in that area. My dates are checking in on 02/27/2015 for 1 night. Hotel price shows $65 - 36% off.

Complimentary: Free Parking and Free Internet

Full Amenities: Indoor Pool(s), Fitness Center, Pools, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self Service Laundry

Hilton Orrington Evanston is the only 4* I know in this area, however it charges $22 for parking...

Thank you for all your help.

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

If you see: Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Free Parking, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

My guess would be the Doubletree in Skokie has been upgraded to 4*, which I think is rather surprising but it would be the only likely possibility.

Do you need to be in Evanston? I'm very familiar with the area, I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I don't have any firsthand experience with this property (AaronJB[/] might) but it's not uncommon to find the a hotel in one city be a full star rating different than the same brand in another city (yes, HOTWIRE shows the Doubletree as an example of a 3* hotel, but it also lists them as an example at the 3.5* range too, and i know of a few other cities where this chain is rated 4 stars). A lot of different factors other than 'user experience' (which can be subjective) go into hotel ratings... amenities offered, ratings of other hotels in the area, etc.

I wouldn't spend too much time debating where within the 3 star - 4 star rating this hotel should really fall, better to focus on how this property would (or would not) work for your needs and at this price how does to compare to your alternative options.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to move forward or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've stayed here previously and was there not too terribly long ago for a wedding. PRICELINE has this at 3* and HOTWIRE did have this at 3.5* (if the Doubletree is now 4*.) It was fine enough - it's not a new building (the elevators were kinda slow), but rooms were reasonably nice. If you were to ask me, it's accurately a 3*, maybe a 3.5* but not a 4*. There was nothing "bad" about it. And hey, Doubletree cookies.

That said, I agree with thereuare: putting aside the star rating, it becomes what are your options and needs? If you want to be near Evanston, then this is probably your cheapest/best bet.

If you do not need to be near Evanston and/or you are looking for more hotel for the money, I think there are some better options in Northbrook.

In the Northbrook-Glenview zone I'm seeing (you may see a slightly diff price):

3.5* $52 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower.

--- Likely Hyatt Deerfield 

3.5* $58 Suite, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

---- Not yet ID'd/reported to the board, but I'd guess the Marriott Suites Deerfield would be a possibility.

The Hyatt is - in my opinion - a great value for the discount rates it often is available for (around $50). You can often get it for slightly less than the Hot.wire price on Price.line via bidding, but no guarantee you won't get another hotel in the zone at the same star rating.

I've stayed at the Hyatt and Marriott. Experiences are going to vary and people are going to have different likes/dislikes, but I found those to be nicer than the Doubletree.

Again though, if you need to be near Evanston, the Doubletree is certainly closer - although it's a fairly straightforward drive from Northbrook.

Let us know what you are looking for in terms of location and we would be happy to offer further suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Tomorrow I will know for sure if I need 1 or 2 night stay. Needless to say, I will make my reservation using this board supporting links. If I do with the Doubletree, how easy/difficult to get from the hotel to Chicago Lincoln Park/Downtown area using train or other means of public transportation? 

To downtown:

From Skokie:

1. Drive to the Skokie Swift Station. Skokie Swift to Howard, then Red Line remainder of the way to either Lincoln Park or all the way downtown. 

2. Take the bus to Evanston (kinda long) then the Red Line to LP or Downtown or the Metra train from Evanston to downtown. Bus from Evanston to around Old Orchard where D'tree is probably does not go that late for way back.

From Northbrook: 

1. Drive to the closest Metra station (not far from most N burb hotels), take the nicer Metra train downtown. Then take the "L" up to Lincoln Park if you plan to go to LP.

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that this will work well for your needs this trip.

Thank you for using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win, helping us update the Hotwire Hotel List with the new star rating for this property.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Couple of minor things:

Ask for a high floor if possible, preferably looking South.

I haven't parked there, but there are a number of garages in Evanston, including one next to the Hilton Garden Inn in Evanston. If you are heading downtown, you could park at this garage in Evanston and then have the option of either taking the Metra or CTA "L" downtown. 

The Old Orchard Mall on the opposite corner is actually a very nice mall with a fair amount of restaurant options.

Finally, for snacks/drinks, there's a decent Jewel Grocery in a small mall about a half a block South of the D'tree on the same side of the street.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]