Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

b_johnno
By b_johnno,
in

Hi

My parents were kind enough to book me, my wife and themselves flights to New York. In return I have agreed to find and pay for the accommodation. My budget it about $1,500 after taxes. Which I guess is about $120 dollars per room per night list price.

My father is a big man and not much of a walker. Nor is my mom tbh. None of us are particularly famililiar with New York and the zones on Priceline. It is important to us that we have a location that would allow my parents to walk to some of the sites and be close to a decent tube line.

Could anyone be kind enough to suggest which zones to bid for?

What kind of star hotel could I get for my budget?

Thanks in advance

Johnno

A couple of thoughts:

Unfortunately, NYC rooms are (even at higher star ratings) small or very small. Additionally, in terms of the more central area of NYC (Midtown zones), unfortunately rates do start going up again in April and $120 does not appear as if it's going to be enough for these dates - you're likely looking at more along the lines (depending on star rating/zone) of $135-165.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks Aaron for your speedy response

So if I stretch my budget a little (maybe from my parents) I may have joy at $150 per night. That's about $1,800 after tax for the stay and something I could achieve.

I am expecting pretty measley room size. Thanks for the heads up. Any zones that are reasonable but with good connections. We are pretty subway savy having regularly visited London.

So what star rating could I get through Priceline bidding for $150 in a decent to good location? Again could you please advise me on locations as I will be an Alien in America.

Thanks

John

To confirm (based upon the prices and all-in rate) you are looking for 2 rooms, correct?

If so, your $150 budget may get you something at the 3* level (at least that is where i would start).

As far as zones go, here is a brief rundown (with some comments/caveats for each where necessary):

Central Park South - a central location but has the Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms, so you need to decide if this is an acceptable outcome or not

Midtown East - most hotels are centrally located but a few can be up to a 10-15 minute walk to the subway

Midtown West

Chelsea - a few hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but this is a 'hot' area right now (lots of boutiques, cafes, restaurants, clubs, etc.) so still considered a very desirable area

Empire State Building

Madison Square Garden

Times Square

The above are generally considered to be centrally located, if you can't get something within your budget above you can the consider some other zones (mostly in the southern end of Manhattan) which are certainly do-able (for the right price), but a little less convenient as they will be a 20 minute subway ride to midtown.

Let us know your thoughts on the zones above and we will take it from there and advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- will you or your parents be doing the actual bidding?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks. So for $150 I may get a 3 star in some of those zones.

It may be best to reject Central Park South as my dad is 6ft2 and a heavy build. From the reviews I've just read he would struggle at the Hudson. Also we'll forget Midtown East just to try and avoid the lengthier walk to a subway.

The others seem fine. A friend of mine mentioned that Chelsea was nice so don't mind the little walk for that.

So to confirm, could you help with a bidding strategy for the following areas (I will be bidding):

Midtown West

Chelsea

Empire State Building

Madison Square Garden

Times Square

Thanks again

Johnno

When bidding 3* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTW and Chelsea...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* ESB and MSG...

Select 3* TS and MTW...

Select 3* MTW and ESB...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG...

Select 3* TS and Chelsea...

Select 3* MTW and MSG...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and ESB...

Select 3* TS and ESB...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, MSG...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, TS...

Select 3* MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, MSG, TS...

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, MSG...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB, MSG...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB, TS...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MSG, TS, MTW, Chelsea...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MSG, TS, MTW, ESB...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're new to the subject)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi

No joy as yet bidding. Although I've been very cautious so far. Not in a great rush to book.

My dad is now addicted at looking at secret rooms/express deals. His addiction has seen him consider to offer money towards the hotel. Could you please try and ID the following rooms for our stay. Used Bidding.Helper to search for 2 rooms, 4 adults, in Manhattan for 04/03/2015 - 04/08/2015.

Hotel 1 - $210 per night on Priceline

3.5* MSG

Amenities: free breakfast + free internet + pets allowed + business centre + gym/spa

Guest score: 8+

Hotel 2 - $193 per night on Priceline

4* ESB

Amenities: restaurant + business centre

Guest score: 8+

Hotel 3 - $206 per night on Hotwire

4* ESB

Amenities: restaurant + business centre + self-service laundry

Hotwire Customer Reviews: 95% recommended

Thanks in advance

John

3.5* MSG 

-The Element has been seen with this amenity set previously, so that would be my guess.

4* ESB

- The Kitano has been seen with this amenity set previously, but many hotels in this zone have these amenities, so there is the chance this may be something not yet reported to the board.

Hot.wire 4* ESB

- Unfortunately, this listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the purchase and this property works well for your plans!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board... can you please add a reply to this thread confirming if you won this property by bidding on PRICELINE, thru PRICELINE EXPRESS, or from HOTWIRE? If the latter two, do you recall the amenities that were associated with this property and showed before your purchase?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks, enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]