in

Hi,

I need help with id of this one:

One night, 04/02/2014 - 04/03/2014

2 Adults + 2 kids (6 and 3 y/o).

2.5 stars

95% recommended

4/5 tripadvisor

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Free breakfast, Free Internet, Fitness center, Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Thanks for your help.

The Holiday Inn Express Washington DC BW Parkway would be my best guess for this one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure how convenient Largo-Upper Marlboro is to the Downtown DC area... have you researched this zone and confirmed that it will work for your needs? How would you get into Downtown DC?

The closer you get to Downtown DC the harder Free Parking will be to come by, so you're going to have to make a decision between cost vs. convenience, but either way to get something 3* or better and convenient to DC you'll likely more looking in the $100 range.

Using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel within the area(s) you're willing to stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I'm not sure.

We stay only for one night in D.C and we rent a car, so I have to park it anyway.

I'm willing to pay, it's not have to be free parking, as long it has a parking lot.

What are my other parking options?

Can you check these ones for me:

3* Largo - Upper Marlboro area $76

85% recommended

3.5/5 TA rating.

FULL AMENITIES: Free parking, Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center

3* Dupont Circle - Embassy Row $117

90% recommended

4/5 TA rating.

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

3* Dupont Circle - Embassy Row $119
85% recommended
4.5/5 TA rating.
FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

3.5* Dupont Circle - Embassy Row $123
90% recommended
4/5 TA rating.
FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Let's back track...

Are you renting a car once in this area OR are you renting a car to get to the DC area?

Other than the Largo - Upper Marlboro hotels the others are nearly twice your desired budget, so have you decided to increase your budget? If so, to what amount? (before taxes/fees)

Why not take the Metro from the airport to Downtown... then start your rental at the end of your DC stay?

This would save you not only on the daily rental fee for the vehicle, but as well as any hotel parking charges.

With your stay 3+ months away are you willing to pay $100+ at this time?

clarifications and more questions:

"Why not take the Metro from the airport to Downtown... then start your rental at the end of your DC stay?" 

We're flying from Florida, after 10 days, I guess we will be with 2-3 suitcases + baby stroller and I remind you we're carrying 2 kids (2.5 and 6 y/o). 

Moreover, we have to leave D.C in the next day, I guess up to 3-4 P.M, so adding time to deal with renting a car, leaving the hotel with all the luggage will give us some hard times.

Is taking the metro or even a Taxi from the airport would be convenient?

"This would save you not only on the daily rental fee for the vehicle, but as well as any hotel parking charges."

Daily charge is $82 -  so the other alternative must be worthwhile.

With your stay 3+ months away are you willing to pay $100+ at this time?

What do you mean?

If we'll wait, we might face less expensive rates?

If so, is that works in general, like in NYC too? (we'll looking for 4 nights in NYC a week later on April 2015).

One thing about DC is that the traffic is awful, so it's very difficult to determine how much a taxi might cost since it's unknown how much traffic you will hit (which is also why the Metro is such an advantage... it's clean, dependable, and there is no traffic) nor do you know exactly where your hotel will be at this point; but i do understand that the metro may not be feasible for you given the number of bags and young children.

However, with the above noted, i think you could beat your $82/day (plus parking) charge by taking a taxi... assuming $30/day parking you're looking at $112 for having the car the additional day. You could take a taxi to the hotel ($25-$45) then the following day at the end of the day have one parent head to the airport to get the car (taking the metro) while the other parent is doing the last activity with the kids (or heading back to the hotel to get luggage). Meet at the hotel lobby, load the car, and get on your way to the next destination.

All of this of course is not the most convenient as just getting in the car and being on your way, but it comes down to budget vs. convenience, and your original budget isn't realistic (nor convenient staying out in Largo-Upper Marlboro), so i'm trying to present options which will help save some money. To some the savings would be worth the 'workaround' (me)... for others not so much (my wife :) )

Does your rental rate include a one-way drop-off fee, as $82/day seems very expensive, imo (although i haven't looked at rates at all)

There is no telling if rates will come down between now and your stay, or if they will move even higher, but i think a 4* hotel in the $110-$130 area for quad occupancy at a 'downtown' hotel is pretty reasonable, imo... it's more of an issue of your original goal of $60-$75 not being very realistic.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Wow, thank you so much for your help and advise.

I'm really thankful for your willingness to help and your patience.

Our visit in D.C is too short, I wish I had more time, and I don't want to spent more time on logistics.

It will cost me, I know.

Is it possible to find a place to stay in downtown, even 2-3* hotel, (because it's only one night), with an option to park a car?

$82 for Ford Escape, was to lowest rate I found by far. Closed it with rentalcars.com, and the supplier is Dollar.

Rentalcars.com charged me $82 per day and told me that Dollar will charge me locally in NYC when I return the car for an one way drop fee of $100. However, I checked with Dollar customer service, and I was told that there is no one way fee between D.C and NYC, so they won't charge me for additional $100.

What do you think?

I'm trying to hold my budget, I had some success with orlando hotel and car, but D.C and NYC will be more expensive then what I thought.

What about staying in the DCA zone...

-forgo the rental car the first nite (saving any hotel parking fee and the cost of one day rental)

-take shuttle from airport to hotel (then metro from hotel into DC for your day(s) of exploring)

-have one adult (without luggage) pick-up the rental car the following day, then pick-up other family members with luggage at hotel in order to head to Pennsylvania

The least expensive hotel in the DCA zone for your dates for 2adults/2children is a 3.5* for $139/nite, but with the savings on Parking and the extra day rental, i think this comes out to be cheaper than renting a car for the first day and getting a hotel in the ~$75 area (not to mention a higher rated hotel)

FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK you'll need to confirm that the rental car is still available at the same rate for the 3 day rental vs. the 4 day rental you currently have. Also, you'll be paying a premium to return the rental car in Manhattan, so much so that it may be worthwhile to return the rental at Newark Airport and then take a taxi to your hotel in Manhattan.

If you prefer to stick with your current rental plans i think the best current offer would be the 4.5* in the White House zone for $129/nite (with an excellent 4.5/5.0 TA rating):

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... best guess would be the Madison Loews (which if correct would be a 10 minute walk to the Red Line metro station). There are a few less expensive hotels in Dupont Circle, but given your limited time i would try to be more centrally located.

Let us know your thoughts/questions (or how it goes) and we'll take it from there.

Hi,

After considering all aspects, our decision is too stick with the current plan.

We will have to park our rental car downtown.

Is there any option to find a parking lot with a reasonable daily parking price.?

Your offer looks quite good, but we still want to look for more options in downtwon.

Is there any option to find a parking lot with a reasonable daily parking price.?

You can almost always find cheaper parking than the hotel parking rate, but i don't know any specific garages in the area and what they would cost for your arrival/departure.

Your offer looks quite good, but we still want to look for more options in downtwon.

What criteria are you looking for in a hotel that the one above does not meet?

Great, I'll do some learning before in order to seek adjacent parking garage.

The hotel you mentioned meets all our needs and more. Looks good, great reviews and centrally located.

The price is an issue, so I will keep looking on good deals for the next 3-4 days.

More than doubled our budget.

It's funny because I finally paid in NYC 40% more than my original budget and 20% in Orlando and I still insist to optimize this "one night stand".

Btw, did have a chance to look at my $82 daily rental car rate?

The price is an issue, so I will keep looking on good deals for the next 3-4 days.

You can use our RateDrop service to receive an alert should a hotel within your desired star rating and zone fall to within your target 'buy' price.

Btw, did have a chance to look at my $82 daily rental car rate?

See my comments above in THIS POST... i wasn't aware:

1) your rate is inclusive of taxes/fees (i think)

2) you were returning to Manhattan (as opposed to one of the airports)

3) you were renting an SUV (as opposed to any 'car')

... if your rate is $320 all-in i would stick with what you have

Congratulations on your success!

I believe this may have been the last open leg of your trip and hopefully you're happy to have all your plans set and are looking forward to your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay(s).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]