Priceline Hotel: 3* Fort Lauderdale (Beach) Holiday Inn

crisp1
By crisp1,
in

Date of arrival 1/14/06 (mistake made in topic)

First bid $80 rejected. Added Airport zone ( no 4* hotels in this zone) and rebid $100. rejected. Waited 72 hours and rebid $100 again and rejected with note that if I added $22 it would be accepted

3*

1 night

rate $122.00 taxes and service fees $22.67 Total $144.67

I have been checking the prices on this hotel through hotwire for the past several weeks and it remained at $140 until this am, when it dropped to $134. The Hyatt pier came up a low $178 on 12/12, jumped to $280 and is now down in the $220 range. Oceanfront, Doubletree suites have no rooms available for this date. I believe that the King Tut exhibit is in town this month. Another reason the rates remain high.

That strikes me as a lot to pay for that hotel on priceline. It's been going for less than $50 on all but the most peak of days lately. Of course, as you say, that day you need looks very busy (and expensive) in Ft. Lauderdale. In the future, I might consider driving a little (you could do Miami or Palm Beach easily from Ft. Lauderdale) in such a situation and seeing if you could get more value for your money.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been checking periodically on hotwire to see if the price dropped. With only one week until checkin, the rate remains high at $132. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. Most other properties are full for that night.

Don't forget to support this site and book through Savingsbarn :)

It is a bad situation value-wise for So.Florida for mid January. Hard to believe that the MLK Jr. weekend prices are higher than X-mas week!

I remember visiting early last February ("off-peak", before the traditional President's Day rush) on a ridiculously low airfare, and then being confronted by sky-high hotel rates. Eventually, I found the renovating Boneventure "resort" for less than $50, but I currently don't see a similar deal here.

That said, once you get much above $100 for a 3-star in SoFla, I think non-opaque options become significantly more attractive. You CAN find something decent conventionally at that price, although it will require significant digging.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]