Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) The Roosevelt Hotel New York

wehoca
By wehoca,
in

Hi,

This is my first time here.  Love the site and infomation provided.  Just getting familiar with Priceline bidding process...feel 80% comfortable.  I get the the whole 're-bid' thing, etc.  But, have two questions:

I need a hotel for three nights (11/30-12/3).  I'm pretty flexible with regard to location.  My preference in this order:  Midtown East, Central Park South,  Uptown East and Hell's Kitchen.  I know my two re-bid areas (Morningside & Queensborough).  I would prefer 4 STAR or better. 

As far as bidding goes...assume I start with MTE 4 1/2 star (not just 4 STAR)...then if rejected add UTE (same star level) with a higher bid and so on until I exhaust my four preferred areas PLUS two rebid areas.  If I got nothing, could I then close the browser, and start all over with just 4 STAR (not 4 1/2 STAR) with the same areas, one by one,  in that order?  I.E. MTE, then add UTE, then add CPS, then add HK, then add M/H, and then add QB?  Is that technically different? Or does my original 4 1/2 STAR big request taint my ability to do this immediately afterward?

If I first check 'EXPRESS DEALS' and see a few of those areas, star levels, etc. listed...how much below (as a %) would I want to start my bids...10%? 20% 30%?  For example if I see 4 STAR MTE @ $236...start at 30% off?  I.E. $160?

Once I start bidding I will certainly use the llinks and post the results as requested.

Many thanks for the tips, advice and use of this forum.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few comments to get started...

Please use the links on the board not only for your purchases, but for your searches as well.

Your zone selection(s) are somewhat not unique and some of the zones are not really ones that we see bid that frequently for the following reason(s):

MTE - most 4* hotels are well located but a few can be up to a 10-15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

CPS - well located but contains the Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards), would this be acceptable?

HK - the 'known' 4* hotel in this zone is not really that centrally located

UES - not that centrally located for the average tourist... but maybe you're very familiar with the city and not an average tourist?

I'm quite familiar with the city (as well as with PRICELINE and HOTWIRE)... if you let us know what it is exactly that you're looking for from this stay, as well as your target maximum budget (per nite before fees/taxes), we can likely guide you toward the best option(s) for these dates. How would you rank the following in terms of importance for this trip: budget, star rating, location?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Nice note...thanks!  I've stayed in NYC at least ten times over the last few years. Many times at The Barclay Intercontinental (now closed for renovation).  as I'm a Platinum member there so usually get a few perks.  Last week I was at the Waldorf Astoria for a business meeting.  The time before that at The Parker Meridian.  Most of these were corporate trips where the company paid.  

This particular trip for me is really is to make a 'mileage run' to make GOLD status on UAL.  I just need these last 5000 flown miles.   So I'd like to keep the price down to $200ish/night and not stay in a hovel.  I am trying to stay away from $400 nights...but would go to $300 if there was a 'deal' in an slightly upscale group.  Bottom line preference though would to find the cheapest, tolerable, 4 STAR and I am flexible with areas.  This is for three nights...checking in Sunday 11/30 and departing on Wednesday 12/3

Walking to a subway ten to 15 minutes to a subway doesn't bother me...I'm just as like to walk, use Uber or a cab.  I enjoy going to the different Equinox gyms around the city so I plan my days around visits there.  Rock Center, 63rd/Lex, Columbus Circle, Grand Central, etc. 

I wouldn't be bummed by the small rooms at Hudson as I've been 'pre-warned'.  I've seen you caution people on the UN Millennium...distance, etc. but I think I would be fine with any of that as long as the accommodations and hotel were nice.  

And yes, I would very much appreciate you giving me a starting recommendation of price/areas for me to bid on based on what I've written thus far.  

Gracias...

It sounds like cost is the primary object as long as it's a 'decent' place...

There is this 4 Star Times Square hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $158/nite (only a double bed) or $171/nite (a Queen sized bed). Combine this with the 10% OFF Coupon in my signature and you have a very nice deal, imo. This property only shows a 'Restaurant' amenity so i'm not sure which one it may be (since this would apply to almost all 4* hotels in the city), but it does have an 8.0+ user review rating so it should, at the very least, be suitable for your needs.

Depending upon which bed configuration you would go for, you could try bidding on PRICELINE for all your acceptable zones up to that same price, then if rejected take this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer, but with the additional 10% off currently offered (expires tonite) i don't know how much better you may do and it may be worth the few extra dollars to be assured of a 'good' rated hotel given the 8+ reviews this one is showing.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above) and we will advise accordingly. If you do want to try bidding on PRICELINE, please confirm your maximum bid amount and acceptable zones and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

UPDATE:

Thanks for your most recent comment/response to my post. Prior to your writing,  I wasn't really considering 'Express Deals'..but now I see how they can turn out to be a good option.  I have never been excited about TS or MSG...that's why I left those areas out of my original post and didn't jump on the 'Express Deal' that you mentioned for TS.  

So tonight was my first attempt.  Unsuccessful...but that's OK.  Just to get my feet wet I started a Priceline bid for FOUR STAR MTE @ $120, rejected, added CPS @ $132, rejected, added HK @ $144, rejected, added UES @ $156, rejected, then added my first Re-Bid @ $162, rejected and then added my second Re-Bid @ $168 and that was rejected.  While I was doing this I did check out 'Express Deals' and saw one that was acceptable to me...4 STAR MTE for $182/night for these three nights.  Based on the description/amenities, I am figuring that it is The Roosevelt which would be fine with me.  I ended up getting a 10% coupon along the way so didn't go much higher than $182 less 10%.  

I will let this rest for 24 hours and then re-visit using your links.  I'll try one more bid attempt and if no good, just take the MTE 4 STAR (which I think is The Roosevelt) for $182 less 10% if it is still available.  

Any input or thoughts you have?  

Again, many thanks for your help to me all the other people here in this forum and the availability of this great site.

Happy trails...

You can use a much better bidding strategy that the attempt you made above, if you let us know your maximum bid and the zones you're willing to accept we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

With this 4* Midtown East hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) offered at $164/nite... if including MTE in your bidding, why would you bid as high as $225 when you could end up wining the same hotel that is offered here but overbid for it?

Should we lower your maximum bid to $164/nite?

You are sooooo right.  I didn't see this choice listed last night when I bid AND looked at 'Express Deals'...it must have just come up today. So even if I did bib over $164 (up to $225 for example), I might have just gotten this same hotel anyway, right?  So yes to your answer regarding bidding strategy, now with a max of $164!  I will do using your links. 

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* UES and HK...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and UES...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS and HK...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and HK...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS and UES...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, CPS, UES...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, CPS, HK...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, CPS, UES, HK...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163

If the above is rejected, take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer link above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Done...and I am pleased!  I followed your exact bidding instructions until I got to $150....then I left out MTE and just tried with CPS, UES, HK and two free Re-Bid areas because I had a coupon and didn't want to keep MTE in the mix since they would probably give me The Roosevelt around a bid of $164 anyway.  I could only use the discount for an 'Express Deal'. I used all of the links you provided and closed my browser after each series of bids.  Since none of my bids were accepted I then went ahead with the 'Express Deal'.   Based on amenities, STAR rating, etc. I figured it would be The Roosevelt. The last time I stayed there was in 1973 when I was an exchange student in high school headed to Spain.   The room will probably be the same size...but hopefully with a few renovations.  The location will be great and on this particular trip I wanted to keep the cost of my NYC room under $200.  So...at $164 less 10% plus taxes my total is:  $562.17 for three nights.  I am happy with that.  Thanks again for the mentoring, explanations, input and help.  Had you not been there I most likely would have overbid in an area where there was already a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal that fit all of my parameters.  Also, I wouldn't have been able to place as many bids up to that point without your assistance in showing me how to break up the various combinations.  Thanks again and take care...

Congratulations on your success!

Well done! Glad to see it worked out well and that you're happy with the results... we're happy to have helped! :)

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]