Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

durant durant
By durant durant,
in

I've been trying to bid on a 4 star hotel primarily in the MTW area.  I am bidding on two rooms.  I have bid as high as $235 per night per room and still no luck.  I have used Priceline a couple of times to book a room in NYC and never had to pay nearly this much.  I booked 11/8 - 11/11 last year in MTW for $150/night (one room).

I'm wondering if you generally pay higher prices when you are trying to book two rooms?  Or maybe prices have just gone up quite a bit since the last time I was there.

Any advice?  I've been happy with bidding on Priceline in the past, so I've stuck with that.  But I'm open to trying Hotwire or something else if that might work better.

Thanks.

...primarily in the MTW area.

Which other zones have you included?

I booked 11/8 - 11/11 last year in MTW for $150/night (one room).

Although rates are date specific, generally speaking weekends in NYC are cheaper than mid-week, and Sunday is the slowest nite of the week (and has the lowest rates). Your stay last year was Fri-Mon so was all weekend dates and included a Sunday which likely brought down the average rate for the complete stay... your dates above include a Thursday nite which is likely having the opposite effect (by bringing the average rate up)

Are you dates by chance flexible that you could arrive and depart one day later making your dates 10/24-10/27 as i think you could be successful at amounts you have already bid.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have also bid on MTE and Central Park South.  I haven't included Times Square yet, but I'm not opposed to it if I need to branch out a bit more.  I've generally liked the MTW location in the past because it has been a nice central location.

Your feedback on the days of the week makes sense.  Unfortunately, my dates are firm for this trip...flights are booked.

I have been bidding on exclusively 4 star hotels.  I'm becoming more open to checking out the 3.5 star options though if that will help.

Thanks.

Note that the CPS zone has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms... would this be acceptable?

Generally speaking, at the 4* level, the following zones are considered to be well located for the average user:

MTW

TS

Cheslea - some hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway but this is a 'hot' and desirable area at the moment as there are a lot of cafes, shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

ESB

MSG

MTE - most 4* hotels are well located but a few can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

I'm also seeing what appears to be The Lexington New York City for $216/nite and the Wyndham New Yorker for $226/nite should either of these be of interest.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When searching for 2 rooms/4 adults total, I'm seeing:

4* MTE $224 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower. Would be a possible match for the Lexington.

I'm also seeing a 4* Madison Square Garden for $216  w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower. Would likely be the Wyndham New Yorker.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Bidding on PRICELINE is usually the cheapest, but sometimes not. As well, there are other times/reasons to use HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS. For example, if a user was bidding CPS for a 3.5* hotel but also wanted to avoid an upgrade to the 4* CPS Hudson Hotel (due to the small rooms), by bidding then they would need to avoid the CPS zone entirely. However, they could purchase a 3.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel and know they won't get upgraded to an unwanted 4* hotel... or HOTWIRE could be used, if based upon the amenities and/or user reviews, they were fairly certain that the hotel offered was not the one they were hoping to avoid.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you see the same HOTWIRE offers above and go for one of them) and we'll advise accordingly.

I found a hotel on Hotwire in the MSG-Hell's Kitchen zone for $189.  This isn't my first choice location, but it's close enough and the price seems better.  Any idea what this would be?

4 star

Free Internet
Smoke Free Rooms
Fitness Center
Restaurant(s)
Business Center
Golf Nearby
Accessible for the blind
Accessible for the deaf

4 of 5 stars on Tripadvisor

70% recommended on Hotwire

Standard rate $353

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 4 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Free Internet

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... if this is the full list of what you're seeing, the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel would be my best guess for this one.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]