Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Upper West Side) The Empire Hotel

az123
By az123,
in

folks,

As this is my first time using priceline bidding I don't want to make any mistakes and hence my request for help in building my bidding strategy. I am looking to stay in the upper west side Oct 31st - Nov 3rd. I believe the 4* hotel in priceline bidding syste, in the Empire. the calandar of wins shows 198$ per night in almost the same dates, so I gave it a try with 186$ and a day after with 189$ and was rejected...

1. any better hotel option you can recommend in the price range of $220-$230 or less?

2. could you suggest a bidding strategy so I don't have to wait 24 hours? my understanding is that if I add Queensborough Bridge, maintaining dates and 4* requirement, I will be still biiding the empire - am I correct? what's next after

3. can you suggest a price strategy for each of my nexy attempts?

appreciate your guidance and help.

Regards,

AZ.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To get started, are you familiar with NYC and/or have specific need to be in the UWS zone as this is not always the most convenient for a typical visitor (who generally prefer to stay in midtown)

Also, if you're not aware, the NYC Marathon is on Sunday Nov 2 and historically the days leading up to the marathon are busy (and therefore expensive) dates in NYC as runners, and those supporting them, arrive to the city for the event.

Are you in town for the Marathon and/or might other zones work for your needs this trip?

At the moment my guess is that a 4* in the UWS zone will likely run in the $260-$285 area... whereas some midtown zone(s) a 4* may cost you in the $210-$230 area.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts/comments on the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for yoru response. I wasn't aware of the marathon and prefer to stay in UWS for personal reasons. my dates are fixed, and if worse comes to worse, I'll change the zone but I want to try and keep it walking distance to 74th and Amsterdam. I was encouraged by the $198 winning bid I mentioned for the Empire on nearly the same dates - what strategy would you suggest to continue bidding?

Thanks,

AZ.

Rates are date specific, so it's not uncommon to not be able to replicate another user's win if their dates are not identical to your own. This is especially true when there is a special event taking place, as is the case with your stay and the Marathon.

So we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher than you're willing to pay, what is your maximum bid for a 4* hotel in the UWS zone (before you stop and consider including other zones)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would say 240$. note that in PRICELINE EXPRESS deal this hotel goes for $277. So:

1. could you suggest a bidding strategy so I don't have to wait 24 hours? my understanding is that if I add Queensborough Bridge, maintaining dates and 4* requirement, I will be still biiding the empire - am I correct? what's my next option to continue bidding?

2. can you suggest a price strategy for each of my nexy attempts?

Thanks,

AZ

Currently if you add the Queensborough Bridge zone to your 4* bidding you are still 'really' only bidding on a 4* hotel in the UWS zone (NOTE: while the Empire may be the only 4* hotel currently in the Priceline Hotel List, new hotels can be added (and upgrades/downgrades can occur) at any time, so keep in mind that you're bidding on a 4* hotel in this zone, not specifically for the Empire)

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones (currently Queensborough Bridge is one of them... see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to confirm the second one or ask questions if you're still confused). Always double check your re-bid zones to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked as new hotels can be added to the system and upgrades/downgrades can occur at any time.

With your TWO re-bid zones i would bid as follows:

Select 4* UWS...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* UWS and re-bid zone2...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $220

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try as per below (once again using this PRICELINE link to begin your bidding, and not the link in any emails that priceline may send informing you that you're eligible to bid again)

Select 4* UWS...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $230, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* UWS and re-bid zone2...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $240

Any questions feel free to ask

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi "thereuare" and all,

I am still bidding and reached $231 (need to wait 24 hours now...). with Express deal this hotel goes for $276 and with my extra 10% coupon it will be $248 - very close to my bidding number. As I mentioned, the same hotel went for $198 nearly in the same dates (2 days overlap out of 3). I'm curious: Is Priceline bidding engine "knows" I am consistent with this hotel and will not allow me to win cheap while allowing someone who bids for the first time to get a better deal? just having this "conspiracy thought" and wanted to check what you know about how it works....

Thanks,

AZ.

Rates vary (often significantly) based on date/s and even if your dates are slightly different than someone else's, that can cause a major difference - especially if there's a large event (like the marathon.) Bidding is really case-by-case, the service is not not allowing a win because you are bidding persistently.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

As I mentioned, the same hotel went for $198 nearly in the same dates (2 days overlap out of 3).

I assume you are referring to this Priceline hotel win which is for the date range of 10/24-11/2. So this win may have the benefit of nearly a week worth of cheaper rates (from 10/24-10/31) which brings down the rate needed to win a bid, where as your date range only has the more expensive (closer to the marathon dates) of 10/31-11/3. If you use MAPS and HOTELS.com and search for your dates you'll see the Empire Hotel for $379 per nite whereas for the other user's date range the rate is $344/nite... so your dates are more expensive and therefore it's logical that your dates would require a higher bid to be successful. As well, that win was made nearly two months ago, and hotel inventory (and prices) change over time, so there is a chance that even if you were bidding the same exact date range the the same $198/nite win would no longer be available.

I'm curious: Is Priceline bidding engine "knows" I am consistent with this hotel and will not allow me to win cheap while allowing someone who bids for the first time to get a better deal? just having this "conspiracy thought" and wanted to check what you know about how it works....

There is no conspiracy. Price.line wants you to win a hotel as they make no money if you don't win a hotel (or purchase from another section of their website)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]