Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) One UN New York - Formerly Millennium UN Plaza Hotel

Obsideon
By Obsideon,
in

Hi all,

I have planned a leisurely trip with my gf to New York in September and it will be my first time there so I have no idea what to expect.

The trip is going to be all about trying all the delicious food NY has to offer and take in some sights and sounds. I would like to be as central to everything as possible.

I will be relying on public transit + taxi. (Unless you guys recommend renting a car?)

I'm not too picky when it comes to hotel amenities or luxuries. Just needs to be clean and convenient to get a good nights sleep. Anything above 3* is ok really.

I have already attempted some bidding patterns and have got up to $170 with zones ticked in:

CPS

Chelsea

ESBA

Hell's Kitchen

MSG

MTE

MTW

Times Square

UES

Bidding on 3 star minimum. I started with 4*.

I'm still having no luck, will I have to go up much more?

I saw another hotel called "The One", it's 3 star and with glowing reviews for $180 but looking at the map it seems to be fairly far from "popular NY". Crossing 2-3 bridges?

It's in the Flushing area close to Queens? I've heard internet stories of those areas being more dangerous at night.

thanks for reading.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You definitely do not need (nor want) to rent a car in NYC and for your first time in NYC you are doing the right thing by staying directly in Manhattan.

As you're discovering September is the start of high-season in NYC and the current rates you're seeing reflect that. Currently in the zones you're bidding you're likely looking at $195-$215 for a 4* hotel... not much (if any) savings for a 3* or 3.5*.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi again thereuare,

You were instrumental in helping me get a couple of good stays in Vegas last time around! :D

So with your advice, given that I will get barely any savings for a 3* or 4*, it would make the most sense to get the best bang for the buck by hovering around the $195+ range and sticking with 4* bids?

I would really like to keep it under $200/night since I'll be there for 8 full nights which is a lot of money on just accommodation.

Any recommendations on must-eat places around town? Budget isn't a concern when it comes to good food! ;)

Although I find in most cities sometimes the hole-in-the-walls do have the best food!

So with your advice, given that I will get barely any savings for a 3* or 4*, it would make the most sense to get the best bang for the buck by hovering around the $195+ range and sticking with 4* bids?

That is how i would play it... bidding up to your maximum for a 4* hotel, if that is rejected, then i would require at least $20+ savings per nite to accept a 3.5* hotel. Give your previous rejections up to $170, and my guess that you're likely looking at the $195-$215 range, what would be your maximum bid for a 4* hotel?

Also, i see you've been bidding the CPS, do note that while this zone is centrally located, this zone does contain the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards). If being in a cramped room for a week would be bothersome then you may want to exclude this zone for your bidding.

Any recommendations on must-eat places around town? Budget isn't a concern when it comes to good food! ;)

Although I find in most cities sometimes the hole-in-the-walls do have the best food!

If you mention what types of food you like i'll try to make some suggestions, but probably better to get the hotel settled first as we can then tailor suggestions that are nearby your hotel (although getting around NYC is generally easy enough).

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, TS, MSG...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, HK, UES...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, UES...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, HK, MSG...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, TS, UES...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, ESB, HK, UES...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, TS...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, UES...

Select 4* MTW, TS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MTE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, UES...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, UES...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, UES, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, UES, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTW...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS, UES...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210

If the above is rejected PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MSG zone for $228/nite and code METRO6 gives 5% OFF bringing this to $215/nite (AMENITIES: Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center... my guess would be the Wyndham New Yorker). Would you want to pay the extra $5 to secure this now, wait it out and hope for lower rates, lower your star rating, or look to others zones that may have a 4* at $210 or less?

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The Wyndham New Yorker used to be the Ramada New Yorker. As a Ramada, it was more upscale than usual for the chain, but got mixed reviews. Reviews started to improve and have improved further since it was taken over by Wyndham. It's a very large hotel, which is why it's likely often seen on Hot.wire and Price.line for less (in comparison) than comparable properties.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Confirm your dates on the landing page, but you can try THIS LINK to the Priceline Express deal (price lowered by $1 to $227/nite)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Are the rates shown are in US Dollars? (i'm thinking you may be seeing rates in CAD dollars... you can change to US Dollars using the drop down menu on the top right of the page after clicking the link above). If that is not the issue, are you given bed choice options for the listing you're seeing?

Yes I did not notice that!

I'm Canadian so the default setting was CAD. I guess up until now we were talking about USD, so converting to CAD the Wyndham Hotel goes up to $250 on PriceLine.Express, with metro6 5% discount code would bring it down to roughly $238 CAD?

Armed with that knowledge I went in for a couple more bids on Price.Line, and end up with One UN New York for $220 CAD. I hope the area and hotel aren't too different from Wyndham, although I did save about $18/night.

Any thoughts on this hotel? TripAdvisor has some good and bad reviews. 76% rating, whereas Wyndham was 80%.

But thanks again for everyone's help and I hope my first stay in NYC will be fun!

Congratulations on your success!

There are two towers at this property and one is better than the other (you'll need to research which is better and ask at check-in for the nicer of the two towers)

The location is a bit east but do-able. There is a bus on 42nd St which will take you crosstown and you can get off at Grand Central Terminal to catch the subway if you don't feel like walking it (or stay on the bus to head further west if you'd like a different subway line). Assuming you do intend to take the bus/subway places, i would recommend the 1 week unlimited metro card as it will come in handy, as well as make the decision whether to hop on the bus easier (since it will be free)

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]