Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) The Gotham Hotel

sailorkmartin
By sailorkmartin,
in

Im looking to get a room for a getaway for my wifes birthday. 

Im looking for a 4 star room in MTW,MTE,ESB,Financial (anywhere centrally located other than Time square really)

Im trying to stay under 180-190/night and the dates will be 8/26 to checkout on 8/31.

Ive never bid on anything and im so glad i was able to find this site. Thanks for the help

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you familiar with and have you been to NYC before? 'Downtown' is not really considered to be centrally located... it's do-able for the right price, but all other things being equal most prefer to stay in the midtown area if you're trying to be centrally located.

PRICELINE EXPRESS has what looks to be the Wyndham New Yorker for $169/nite... would you want to take this offer OR try bidding in hope for a lower price (but no ability to guess at the hotel you may receive before purchase)? If you'd like to move forward bidding please confirm the zones you're willing to accept and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow. I've also added some information/comments below about some of the most popular zones:

At the 4* level MTW, TS MSG, ESB are all generally considered to be centrally located

MTE - most hotels are well located but a few can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

CPS - well located but has the Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)

Chelsea - parts of the zone can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but this is a 'hot' area right now with lots of boutiques, restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs, etc. that it's still a desirable and frequently bid area

Let us know your thoughts (or questions) and we'll take it from there and advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I actually have been to New york once , I stayed at the new yorker and was not a big fan.

Im willing to bid with priceline or hotwire in zones MTW ,MTE ,ESB im really trying to stay under 200/night

I appreciate the help coming up with a strategy, i tried kinda comparing ammenities but it just seemed like all the same hotel. Im probably not doing the research method right 

... I stayed at the new yorker and was not a big fan.

This property used to be run by the Ramada and received poor reviews, but it was taken over by the Wyndham not too long ago and the reviews have improved a lot. Still not the best hotel in NYC, but is 'acceptable' (especially at a deeply discounted rate) and has a great location.

Im willing to bid with priceline or hotwire in zones MTW ,MTE ,ESB im really trying to stay under 200/night

What is more important... your budget or the hotel zone/location?

PRICELINE EXPRESS has:

4* MSG for $169/nite (quite possibly the New Yorker)

4* DT for $175/nite

4* Chelsea for $192/nite

4* MTE for $194 (possibly the ONE UN New York which is a bit far east in the zone)

HOTWIRE has:

4* ESB for $184/nite (i'm not sure which hotel but it has conflicting reviews... 4.0/5.0 from TA but only 50% recommended by HOTWIRE guests)

4* MTE for $188/nite (likely the One UN New York)

4* TS for $188/nite (likely the Millennium Broadway)

4* Chelsea for $190/nite

If any of the above are acceptable you can do with one of these, OR if you want to bid we could at least lower your maximum bid down from $200/nite if any of these are acceptable.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (and if bidding if we should lower your bid from, or keep it at, $200) and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think I want to bid, I decided my budget is more important than the location. I still want to stay away from the time square area. The most important thing is that its a legit 4* hotel and it would be nice if i could kinda figure out what the place likely is before i bid. Most of the 4* I have seen look good and fancy enough for what im looking for .

... it would be nice if i could kinda figure out what the place likely is before i bid.

You can't... when bidding on PRICELINE you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose. No information is provided about a specific hotel that you're bidding on, so there is no way to guess as to which one you may receive.

For help with a bidding strategy please confirm the zones (by PRICELINE name) you're willing to accept, as well as your maximum bid, and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Im wiling to bid on MTW,UES,Chelsea,MTE inthat order...

Are you willing to pay more to stay in the MTW zone vs. the UES zone vs. the Chelsea zone, etc, etc... OR is the goal the least expensive 4* hotel in any of these zones?

Please confirm and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Not willing to pay more for any of the zones.The goal is 4* good price MTW,UES,Chelsea,MTE is just the order that i would prefer to stay.

I appreciate the help on the bidding strategy I had one more question. I saw a hot deal today on hotwire for 187 for UES it has 75% recommendation and I havent been able to find a 4* UES that matches that.

The Hot.wire % rating is not a reliable indicator of a particular property, as there is no listing of to-the-minute %'s.

If you would like us to try to ID the listing, please provide the full list of amenities showing with the listing and we would be happy to take a look and try to ID.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

UES 4* 191/NIGHT

amenities:pet friendly,boutique hotel,fitness center ,restaurant,business center,self serve laundry ,internet acess

It also says that the last person got the Bentley Hotel.

If this doesnt turn out to be anything Im guess im just going to start bidding tonight and hope it works out

I'm not currently seeing any 4* hotel in the UES zone on PRICELINE EXPRESS when searching for your dates... are you still seeing this offered?

I am seeing a 4* hotel offered in the MTE zone for $167 so we will use this as your maximum bid (since bidding any higher you could receive the same hotel that is currently offered by pay more for it than you need to)

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW and UES...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea and MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and Chelsea...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* UES and MTE...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* UES and Chelsea...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, UES, Chelsea...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, UES, MTE...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, UES, Chelsea, MTE...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165

If the above is rejected i'd take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer for $167/nite (Restaurant, Free Internet in public areas, Business Center, Fitness Center)... best guess would be the Lexington New York City

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It is a HOTWIRE deal not a PRICELINE and oddly enough it was 187 this morning and had changed to 191 by noon. Im still trying to figure out which hotel that is cause it sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

UES 4* 191/NIGHT

amenities:pet friendly,boutique hotel,fitness center ,restaurant,business center,self serve laundry ,internet acess

It also says that the last person got the Bentley Hotel.

If you have any idea which hotel this is it would help cause im likely just to book it. Ill make sure to use your HOTWIRE link

Unfortunately a property with this amenity set has not yet been reported to the board and i don't have much insight into this one. A new amenity set for the Bentley is a possibility, but i wouldn't be too surprised if it was something else, but the 4.0/5.0 TA rating does give a bit of comfort that at least it will be decent.

Note that the "Last person got ___" shown by HOTWIRE is relative to the star rating and zone, not for the specific hotel offered.

Since this an extended stay you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your result with the board.

Also thanx for the addition for this new property to the BetterBidding Hotwire Hotel List

Was Free Internet and Restaurant the only amenities listed for this property? You can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use the board's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases and searches

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]