Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile Area - River North) Kinzie Hotel

huskergirl
By huskergirl,
in

I'm in the early stages of my Chicago research for 7/23.  Found the following: Hot Rate 4* Boutique Hotel 47% off=$142. Amenities are Pet friendly, Boutique Hotel, Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Spa Services.  80% recommended.   Does it sound like the Kinzie?

Thanks in advance!

The W Lakeshore is a bit off by itself by the lake, but you have Navy Pier right there - not that I like or recommend Navy Pier, but it's a parking option that is going to be less than the hotel - there are also garages nearby.

I'm also seeing a 4* for $112 in the NMA-WT area for $112 w/ that looks like the Public, but there is only 1 room left.

• Free Internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Boutique Hotel
  • Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Golf Nearby
  • Tennis Nearby
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
It's not perfect - it's a renovation of a very famous older property and it is at the very top end of the zone - but I stayed at the Public last weekend and had a very nice stay. Given that there's only one room left, you may not see this listing when you search.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the help!  I did see the listing you thought would be the Public.  It seems to get better reviews than the W Lakeshore.  I'll peruse the Price.line board and see if there's been anything wonderful won lately.  Since we'll be visiting colleges and sightseeing all day, it will just be a place to lay our heads for the night.

If you are looking for just a "place to sleep", then you could definitely consider bidding. I will note that in the River North-NMA area I think that there's a few "lesser" 4*'s - the Allerton and the Whitehall are two older properties that do have fantastic locations going for them. The Felix also gets some mixed reviews, as well. I think the other 4* possibilities in the zone are either fine/very good or, in some cases, fantastic.

Additionally, there's actually some hotels that I quite like at the 3.5* and 3* levels in the NMA area, although - like the 4* level - there are a few lesser ones in the mix at both of those star ratings.

You could also consider PRICELINE Express and the current 5% off coupon.

Thank you for keeping us updated and do let us know if you have any hotel or Chicago questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Waited too long and missed the $112 room (though it looks like it could still be available, just at a higher rate.)  I see looking just a few days from now there are lots of low rates to be had.  I know it doesn't mean that there will be great rates if I wait til the last minute for this stay, but it has kept me from bidding too high the couple times I've tested the waters.  I also found good rates through the colleges we are visiting, so I have the Talbott, the MileNorth, or either Club Quarters as a lower cost backup that I may reserve as a fallback just to give me the piece of mind of having something while I peruse Price.line and Hot.wire.

While nobody can say if rates will go up, or down, between now and your trip, keep in mind that rates are date specific and demand for rooms a few days from now may be less than for your dates, and the low rates you're seeing for just a few days from now could be more due to the lower demand than the fact that the stay is just a few days away.

With the above noted, rates for your dates are not high at the moment... what are the back-up rates you're considering, what bid amounts have you made, and what are you expecting to pay?

You can also use our new site RateDrop to monitor prices for you (from PRICELINE EXPRESS. HOTWIRE, as we as retail rates at 'named' hotels) and will send you an email when rates drop to your 'buy point'.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The lowest rates I've found for a room I could cancel are $149-$175.  (Those are the hotels I listed)  I know there are slightly lower rates right now on Hotwire and Priceline for 4*'s in the vicinity.  Thanks for the reminder about rate drop--I checked and only had 1 alert set, so I added a few more.  My bids were  low--up to $85 for a 4* and another time to $110 for a 4.5*.  But, the $112 4* was available at those times, so I wasn't going to bid any higher than that.  I guess I should look at this like buying airline tickets--buy at a rate I'm comfortable with, then never check rates again so I won't punish myself if there's a drop.  Hahahaha!  As for what I'm expecting to pay, I guess that's still up in the air.  I've seen posts for 4* wins under $100 and 4.5* wins not much over $100--I guess I don't know if those are reasonable rates to hope for, or if those folks got incredible deals and I should plan on paying more.

Keep in mind with the CQ that it is a 3.5* and the rooms are on the small side.  The one on Wacker and Michigan Ave is in a better location than the Loop CQ.

In terms of winning bids at $100, it really depends on date/s. There are times when Chicago 4*'s could be near $300 one day and around $100 the next. It's all really case-by-case.

I'm still seeing the potential Public, but for $131. I'm also seeing what may be the Sheraton for $135 and Swiss for $158. Interestingly, I'm seeing what appears to be the Hotel Chicago for $124 when searching for 2 adults and 2 children, which is cheaper than the 4* in the zone when searching for 2 adults only. Let us know if any of these would be of interest.

I'm still seeing the potential Public, but for $131. I'm also seeing what may be the Sheraton for $135 and Swiss for $158. Interestingly, I'm seeing what appears to be the Hotel Chicago for $124 when searching for 2 adults and 2 children, which is cheaper than the 4* in the zone when searching for 2 adults only. Let us know if any of these would be of interest.

Is the one you think could be the Hotel Chicago the listing with these amenities: Fitness Center, Business Center, Internet access, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

I think the one AaronJB is referring to:

4* Mag Mile-River North for 2adults/2children with...

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

(it's $126 on my current search, your search may differ by a few dollars one way or the other)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This morning, when I click on the potential Hotel Chicago listing, I'm asked if I want a similar hotel with better views (same 4* star rating and same zone) for $121 (you may see a slightly different price) and once I click on that, the amenities for this other listing are:

• Free Breakfast
  • Free Internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Fitness Center
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Spa Services
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower

This would likely be the Kinzie, and I think that would be a fantastic deal for this property. I'd definitely take that and the bonus of free breakfast.

Whew, got it after all!  Was trying to pay with paypal and it got hung up, opened the regular BB HOTWIRE link instead of the one through bidding helper and that's when it was gone.  Luckily, I was able to back up in the original tab and pay with a credit card.  So, hooray, The Kinzie!  That's what I was originally inquiring about when I first started this thread!  :D It had all the amenities you listed, 95% approval rating, and I got it for $123.  After taxes/fees the total is $153.48.  I will cancel my backup reservation at the Talbott.  (Which also looked like a nice hotel, but the $62 savings I got on the Kinzie will pay for my parking.  And again, we're not going to be in the room long at all, and the Kinzie gets great reviews.)

As I said, I used the BB HOTWIRE links.  Thanks again for all the help, it was much appreciated!!

Congrats on your success. :)

Awesome, awesome deal for this property! This used to be the Amalfi and is in a terrific location in River North, right near a wide variety of restaurants (although with this hotel you get free breakfast and evening reception.) Please let me know if you have any city questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]