Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Lincoln New Victorian Inn and Suites Lincoln

huskergirl
By huskergirl,
in

It looks like there are more zones listed on Priceline for Lincoln than are listed here on the possibility list.  (I know, it's based on what's been reported here and might not be complete.) I suppose I just need to be the guinea pig and test it out? ;)  Heading to Lincoln for a campus visit, so the only 3* listed that wouldn't be ideal is the Holiday Inn Lincoln Southwest.  (Again, I know I could get a totally different hotel than what's been reported here so far.)  But, looking at the zones on Priceline, it appears that hotel would probably fall in the Lincoln South zone instead of the plain Lincoln zone.  Anyone else have that impression?  Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that!  I'll probably target the Lincoln zone, since we'll be hanging around campus at first.  Date is Thursday July 17.  The University has a $79 rate at Chase Suites and a $99 rate at the Cornhusker, so I'll be keeping those rates in mind as I bid.  I'll be sure to use the BB PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.   Next you'll see me on the Chicago board as I prep that leg of the college roadtrip tour.  :D

A listing that has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board that I'm guessing may be the La Quinta Lincoln is showing for $53 on HOTWIRE (you may see a slightly different price). Do you have a particular star rating in mind or are more just looking for the most reasonable 2.5/3*?

In terms of Chicago, if you are driving I'd consider maybe - unless rates are unusually low or you are only staying a night - staying outside the city and taking the train in. Suburban hotels usually have free parking vs $35-70 a night or so downtown. The Lincoln Park area is also recommended to visit, as it's more 20-30 somethings and has a lot of great restaurants and shops (and is also more reasonable than downtown.) I'm very familiar with Chicago - definitely let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

For this stay, I'm probably looking at trying to get the closest hotel to campus.  While I know the Chase Suites is a little ways away, it might be worth trying for a 3* just in case I'd get the Embassy or the Cornhusker and would be within walking distance.  (Though I'd be fine with the Chase as well.)  

For Chicago we will stay one night in Evanston by Northwestern and take the train so my girl can get the feel of what it would be like going to school there, but I was thinking the second we might stay downtown since we'll visit DePaul and the U of C, and my daughter would like the 'wow' factor of a high star hotel near the sites.  (Or, I can use it to scare her away from wanting to go to school in a big city.  Hahahaha)  I'll start a thread over there and pick your brain.  Thanks for your willingness to help!

What looks to be the Hyatt Place Lincoln/Downtown/Haymarket is available for $81/nite... would this be of interest OR if you prefer bidding, please let us know what we should use as your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would bid as follows:

Select 3* Lincoln...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75

If the above is rejected PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 3* hotel in the Lincoln zone for $85 (but the discount link and code in my signature takes this down to $81/nite) with:

Free Breakfast

Free Internet in public areas

Pets Allowed

Airport Shuttle

Business Center

... as well as a very impressive 9.0/10.0 user review rating.

My guess for this one would be the Hyatt Place Lincoln/Downtown/Haymarket and i would take this one if it works better for your plans than the other options. Assuming this is your best among the option i wouldn't 'play' too much with the bidding above as if you try to save an extra $5 and are unsuccessful, this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer could disappear and you're left with less desirable options or paying more.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For this stay, I'm probably looking at trying to get the closest hotel to campus.  While I know the Chase Suites is a little ways away, it might be worth trying for a 3* just in case I'd get the Embassy or the Cornhusker and would be within walking distance.  (Though I'd be fine with the Chase as well.)  

For Chicago we will stay one night in Evanston by Northwestern and take the train so my girl can get the feel of what it would be like going to school there, but I was thinking the second we might stay downtown since we'll visit DePaul and the U of C, and my daughter would like the 'wow' factor of a high star hotel near the sites.  (Or, I can use it to scare her away from wanting to go to school in a big city.  Hahahaha)  I'll start a thread over there and pick your brain.  Thanks for your willingness to help!

Evanston's really a fantastic town and so convenient - you have both the Metra and CTA heading downtown. I've recommended Evanston to people coming to live in the area who want sort of a happy medium between the feel of living in the city and suburbs. Plus, a lot of conveniences, including a new Trader Joes and a pair of Whole Foods.

I'll note that the three Evanston properties don't usually appear on Hot.wire or Price.line, you usually see the Skokie hotels appear. One thought is that you could stay a little further North/NW (Northbrook), which will likely be a lot cheaper. I haven't parked in any of the city lots in Evanston, but a thought is that if you do end up staying in Evanston or staying in another area nearby (Skokie, Northbrook, Deerfield), either way you could possibly leave your car in the city lots (http://www.cityofevanston.org/parking/lots-garages/#m) and then come back when your stay downtown is over. I'm seeing a $13 rate for 24 hours on the Evanston website. Parking downtown is going to be around $30 at city lots + city tax or as much as $60-70 at hotels. Just a couple of thoughts and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the info and the link to the lots.  I really wish we had more time, now since we'll probably get into Evanston late that Tuesday and will have the campus visit first thing Wed. morning, we'll probably explore the town a bit and then just drive into Chicago to wherever we're going to stay Wednesday night rather than take the train.  But, I guess if Northwestern makes the short list, we'll have time for a longer visit down the road.  I realize parking is going to be more expensive in downtown Chicago, but with our time constraints, I think we'll be better off just sucking it up and paying whatever.  We'll stay in Chicago til after dinner (glad the museums stay open later on Thursdays) and we'll drive to W. Lafayette for the next visit.

Back to Lincoln, I did find a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for a 2.5* in the Lincoln Zone that looks to be the New Victorian Suites for $55.  (Yes, I know I'm contradicting what I said about trying to be close to campus.  But trying to budget for hotels in 7 different cities I'm starting to pick and choose location/amenities vs. price.  Save a few bucks here and I can spend a few more elsewhere.)  How often does Price.line offer coupon codes like the current one?   Just in case I don't get it booked this week...

The codes have been somewhat random, are usually only good for 1-2 days. However, the current code is different as it had a 5 week expiration date, so i don't know how quickly we will see another one once this one expires.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any reported wins for a 2.5* in the Lincoln zone. Searching on Google and Price.line first only showed the Victorian Suites at that star level, though when I dug a little deeper, it looks like there is a Comfort Inn and Suites in that zone as well.   Is there any other tool I could use to double check?  I thought since there was a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for $55 (which, after fees, only ends up costing $5 less than the published deal Price.line has with the Victorian Suites) maybe it would be worth a shot to throw out a lowball bid to see if I get lucky.  Or, is it not worth the potential headache of getting an iffy hotel that I missed in my search?

... maybe it would be worth a shot to throw out a lowball bid to see if I get lucky.  Or, is it not worth the potential headache of getting an iffy hotel that I missed in my search?

That's the trade-off... i'd bid low enough so that even if you received an unexpected/undesirable hotel the savings would make it worthwhile... otherwise choose the named hotel you want and pay a few dollars more than having rolled the dice.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... you can also try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com to see if there is anything reasonably priced closer to campus.

Let us know whatever you decide or if we can be of further help.

I thought I had dinked around too long last night, because the King + Sofabed choice was no longer an option.  Luckily, it was back up this morning, so I scooped it up right away.  The Express Deal was $55, listed as 2.5*, 7 out of 10 rating, there was a choice between king + sofabed or King accessible, amenities were:

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Pets Allowed
Fitness Center
Free Parking
Free Internet
Free Breakfast
Business Center

With 17.13 taxes/fees the total was 72.13.  $69.99 rate listed on their website, and a $66 rate on Priceline's list view.  I've read a couple mixed reviews, but since it's only 1 night I'm sure it will be fine.  I'm pretty easy to please.  Plus, saving over $30 off the 3* deals in the area adds that much more to the lodging fund for the rest of our roadtrip.  Thanks so much for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]