Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Times Square - Theater District) Row NYC

zoeonly
By zoeonly,
in

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to NYC with my 12 year old son for a big broadway weekend 4/4-4/7. I know I want to be within walking distance of the theatres (seeing Mathilda at the Shubert, not sure what else yet), but maybe that doesn't leave out other districts (Hell's Kitchen, maybe?)

I'd love to be around $150/night inclusive of taxes. Is this possible? Prices seem to be lower over July 4th weekend, so I'm hoping. A 2 star makes me a little nervous, but I see the Comfort Inn Times Square West is considered a 2 star and I'd be fine with that.

Any help with a bidding strategy would be much appreciated!

Amanda

The dates in your topic title indicate 4/4-4/7... but in your message you mention July 4th weekend.

Please start by confirming the dates of your stay and we'll then have a look at the offers for your dates.

Also, how far of a walk to you (and your 12 year old) consider to be 'within walking distance'?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've edited your topic title to reflect your correct dates.

In NYC, 20 blocks = ~1 mile, so a 20 minute walk is actually about 20 block radius (or ~10 Avenues)

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $122, and using the discount link and code in my signature takes an extra 5% OFF, bringing this property to $147/nite all-in:

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

... best guess for this property would be the InterContinental Barclay (which if correct, Google maps puts at about a 15 minute walk to 47th St and Broadway).

HOTWIRE has what appears to be the Millennium Broadway for $133/nite, which comes to $171/nite all-in... a little over your budget and not as nice as the Barclay (imo), but would be a little more convenient given that you're in the heart of Times Square and the theaters.

Thoughts on either of the above working for your plans?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the quick reply and the edit.

I love the location of the Millennium Broadway, but would prefer to be under budget in a lesser hotel. We'd be happy with a clean bed, working a/c, and a short walk, so my thought was to bid and take our chances. By your suggestions, do you think I'd do better to try the Express or non-bid options? Am I risking something truly scary by bidding in the Theatre District at say the 3 star (and then possibly going down to 2.5 stars or adding something like Hell's Kitchen if no luck)?

Thanks again!

By your suggestions, do you think I'd do better to try the Express or non-bid options?

Not sure i understand your question... if you're thinking about sticking with only the Time Square zone all of the PRICELINE EXPRESS options there are over your budget. There is a 3* for $137/nite (which is over your budget once fees/taxes are included) but even if this was acceptable, this price is for one double bed, which may not be the most comfortable for you and your son.

With 'very good' options available at the 4* level (the InterContinental is within your budget), I wouldn't bid 3* or lower in NYC... i would only consider bidding 3* or below if there were no other options. Quality among the lower rated hotels can very greatly, so you could get a diamond in the rough and have a great stay... or you could get something which is not up to your standards and you wish you had spend a little more for something better.

Ok, I'm feeling a little stupid now. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I wasn't considering using Priceline.express at all, for exactly the reason you state. Everything is over my budget. I was hoping instead to successfully bid within my budget in the theatre district or within near walking distance and war going someone could tell me if that was possible at all and, if so, help me figure out the best strategy to maximize my chances.

I really do appreciate your time. I'm sorry if I'm not communicating clearly. Last time I bid on a hotel there was no priceline express, so maybe I don't understand that model.

I wasn't considering using PRICELINE EXPRESS at all, for exactly the reason you state. Everything is over my budget.

The above is not true, as this property is within your budget and met the criteria you set out (under $150 and within a 20 minute walk to the Theatre District):

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $122, and using the discount link and code in my signature takes an extra 5% OFF, bringing this property to $147/nite all-in:

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

... best guess for this property would be the InterContinental Barclay (which if correct, Google maps puts at about a 15 minute walk to 47th St and Broadway).

So with this property meeting your needs what is it that you're looking to accomplish by bidding on a hotel? You can try bidding for a lower price OR something closer to the theater district, but i don't think you have a chance of winning something in the Times Square zone at $150 all-in or less unless you are willing to go down to the 3* or lower level, which as per my comments above, i wouldn't do when the property above meets all of your criteria (ie- the trade-off of being slightly closer to the theater district is not worth the trade-off of a hotel that is a full star rating lower in quality)

Does that make it clearer? Your thoughts/questions?

Let us know whatever you decide for this stay or if we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.... or the links in our Support Page (where we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies) should you decide to book direct.

Good luck!

Back again. Hopefully I am correct to continue this question in the same thread instead of creating a new post on Hotwire.

Considering a Hotwire 3.5* @ $118/ night in Times square/theatre

Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Business Center, Internet access, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility

Thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks again for your continued help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]