Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Downtown - Millennium Park - Grant Park) Hilton Hotel and Towers

nel602
By nel602,
in

Hi, we are planning a family vacation July 19-23.

We will be travelling with 2 small children (3 yrs old and 10 month old)

i am looking for some help identifying this hotel:

Guest Score: Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher) guest favorite

Guaranteed Amenities:
Indoor Swimming Pool
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Business Center
Fitness Center

Express deal has this listed for $192/night.

Intercontinental Chicago?

I saw some else just post that they were able to get this property for $135/night albeit in August.

I was hoping to pay $175 or under a night.

Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.

AaronJB, you've provided some great info in this IL forum!!!

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm seeing a property with this amenity set but it's currently priced at $176/nite, and using the discount link and code in my signature takes an additional 5% OFF, bringing this within your budget at $167/nite... my best guess for this hotel would be the Omni Chicago Hotel.

However, this 'Bed Choice' listed for this property is 1 Bed Requested... would this be sufficient for the needs of your family?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are currently 4* properties available on both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS for your complete stay in the $130-$140 range.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes, or how you would like to proceed, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are currently 4* properties available on both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS for your complete stay in the $130-$140 range.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes, or how you would like to proceed, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for all your input.

This site has been great help (although i haven't actually booked yet).

However, i do not see the $130-140 range you mention for 4* properties.

Maybe I missed out on them?

Also our preference would be to avoid a boutique hotel unless you guys have some differing opinions?

I'm seeing rates in the $130-140's when searching for 2 adults, but not when searching for 2a/2c, which is common when you are searching for more than 2 people. You could bid on Price.line for less, but then it becomes trying to negotiate with the hotel (they may say no) if you need more than 1 bed.

I think the issue with Chicago (and most major cities) is trying to find a balance between amenities, price and convenience. If you are going to be out a lot, you may not need a 4.5*. However, 4*'s are still expensive for these date/s when searching for 2a/2c on Hot.wire. The first couple of nights are more expensive than the weekday nights.

The downtown boutiques are not really family-friendly, with the exception of the Public, which I think does have a special screening room showing for cartoons on Saturday morning. 

I do see some cheaper options for the last three nights separately, but then it becomes likely splitting the stay between two hotels.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Please use the site's Support Page to start regular rate purchases and searches.

If you could get the Omni within your budget via priceline.Express Deals that would be a great win, with larger rooms and a first-rate location. The Intercontinental's pool isn't family-friendly (although it is amazing and very historic) but that hotel has a fantastic location on Michigan Ave, right by the river.

I'm seeing what appears to be the Omni for $177 on priceline.Express this morning, plus the coupon takes an additional 5% off that.

I'm also seeing what appears to be the Indigo for $125. That is a really cute hotel in the Gold Coast neighborhood, which is a couple of minutes walk North of the top end of the NMA area. Very nice area, with a number of restaurants and a subway station around the corner. If you're up for a moderate walk, it's pretty easy to walk North to Lincoln Park and then it's a little bit further into the park to get to the Zoo. Let us know if this would be of interest and we would be happy to point out the listing.

I do see what appears to be either the Willows or Majestic in Lincoln Park for $127 - that would offer free breakfast and Lincoln Park is a very nice area, but you're a ways North and it becomes a trek to get downtown.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

still on the hunt looking for a hotel.......saw this deal on hotwire and would like some help trying to identify this property please: 

Downtown - Millennium Park - Grant Park area 3.5*

90% reccomended 

Amenities
Free Internet
  Smoke Free Rooms
  Fitness Center
  Restaurant(s)
Business Center
  Self service laundry

Listed at $165.night, regularly $216

Thanks in advance

This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board - I'd guess it may be a new amenity set for the Silversmith.

For a family, I'd really much rather recommend a 4* in the Mag Mile N-WT for $177 w/indoor pool, pool, fitness, restaurant, business, internet with a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page. This only appeared when I clicked on another 4* in this zone and the service asked if I was interested in a higher rated 4* in the same zone and I was able to click the link to this listing. This amenity set (make sure you are seeing that particular set of amenities) would be a possible match for the Hyatt Mag Mile on St Clair. That is an awesome location a block off Michigan Ave.

I'm also seeing a 3.5* in the Mag Mile_RN area w/Free Internet,Indoor pool(s),Fitness Center,Pool(s),Restaurant(s),Business Center,Self service laundry,Internet access,Accessible for the blind,Accessible for the deaf,Accessible path of travel,In-room accessibility,Accessible bathroom,Handicapped parking,Roll-in shower. My guess is that this is the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. This is not super central, but it is a pretty easy walk to the restaurant heavy River North area. The other big plus is that there is a train station at the Mart, so you can walk out from the hotel to the "L" train. You can head South into (and around) the Loop or head North to Lincoln Park (and then walk to the zoo.) The other positive with this property is if you can negotiate a river view room.

I also see what appears to be the Hotel Lincoln for $158. That is across from the Zoo, so it is wonderfully close to the zoo, Peggy Notabert Nature Museum, Old Town and the Chicago Historical Society. However, it is a trek to downtown.

Yay!! finally booked the hotel.

It was a little bit above my budget but I think its a pretty good deal for a nice property.

Ended up booking on hotwire - CAD $195.91/night - Hilton Chicago (July 19-23).

Thanks again for everyone's help and input.

Congrats on your success. :)

Glad you are pleased with the win and are looking forward to your stay.

Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this listing before purchase? This is available under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account.

I'd suggest trying to write or call the hotel in advance and ask if there is any way that you could be facing the front of the building, which should provide some view of Millennium Park. Let me know if you have any Chicago questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

These are amenities for this property: 

Pet friendly
Indoor pool(s)
Smoke Free Rooms
Fitness Center
Pool(s)
Restaurant(s)
Business Center
Self service laundry
Internet access

AaronJB, could you please suggest some restaurants, family friendly ones.

Thanks again.

Different categories:

VALUE:

Flat Top Grill (on Wabash). This is a make your own Stir Fry restaurant. If you choose the option, you can go back again and again, trying different combinations of ingredients each time. Not what I would call outstanding, but I've always thought it was very good, fun and a value from the standpoint of if you pay for it you can go back again and try different things. They also have a breakfast option.

I USED TO LIKE IT AS A KID:

Ed Debevic's: This is a 50's-style diner in River North. Burgers, fries, everything a kid likes. The plot twist is this: the wait staff has the "Attitude" (with a capital A) of the wait staff in a diner in a bad 50's movie. It is a joke (I think...) and they occasionally dance and sing. I liked it as a kid and I'm sure kids still love it, but as an adult I wouldn't go near it - not that the food is bad as much as I wouldn't be into the concept. You can see plenty of examples of the "rude" wait staff on youtube. It has to be doing well, the place has been there for ages.

I USED TO LIKE IT AS A KID (and still do):

Hackney's: This is an example of a place I liked as a kid that I still enjoy as an adult - although I can't eat burgers as much as I used to when I was a kid. The first Hackney's in the 'burbs has been around since the 1930's. The downtown location in Printer's Row is much newer and is close to your hotel. Better burgers and fries than Ed's and reasonably priced - if you go on their website, they send a coupon if you sign up for their email mailing list. Unless something has changed, they do have a kids' menu.

Portillo's: The downtown location is in River North. Classic Chicago hot dog and so popular that the suburban location I occasionally drive past has a drive-thru that's so popular that even in the middle of a hard Winter last Winter, the line was long enough that they occasionally had to have extra people outside taking orders from the cars in line.

NOT YOUR AVERAGE FOOD COURT:

Foodlife:  This is the food court in the Water Tower mall. The difference here from your average food court is that this is actually operated by high-end boutique restaurant operator Lettuce Entertain You restaurants. There are a number of different (over a dozen) stations and you go around with a card, then everything is on one bill at the end.

http://www.foodlifechicago.com/how-it-works

PIZZA:

I would rather suggest Giordano's (multiple locations) or Lou Malnati's (on Wells in River North) than Uno's/Due's. Uno's is just too cramped. My favorite pizza in general is La Madia (http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-madia-chicago), which is more higher-end and thin crust.

SCENERY:

The Patio at Cafe Brauer: This is at the Lincoln Park Zoo and is right on the park's beautiful pond area. Plus, since it's right at the zoo, you can combo this with a Zoo visit and the Notabert Nature Center.

GENERAL:

There are three major groceries downtown: Mariano's (333 E Benton), Trader Joe's (44 E Ontario) and Whole Foods (30 W Huron, River North) All three are great choices to stop and grab some snacks for the day and they also have prepared meals. The Marianos is not terribly far from Navy Pier - you could get sandwiches there and have an urban picnic at Navy Pier for way cheaper than anything at Navy Pier (which is an expensive tourist trap; the only reason I would recommend it is if you were interested in the Children's Museum - otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.) Neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are going to have more reasonable and local options than the downtown area.

BREAKFAST:

For a treat, there's Doughnut Vault in River North (http://thedoughnutvault.tumblr.com/), although when they run out they run out. In the Lakeview area, there is Ann Sather (http://www.annsather.com/Restaraunts%20Pages/Belmont_Bkfst.html), which has famous cinnamon rolls. Yolk (http://www.yelp.com/biz/yolk-south-loop-chicago) is an option that's right by your hotel.

I'd be happy to offer more suggestions - let me know any specific likes/dislikes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]