Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago North Shore (Deerfield) Marriott Chicago Deerfield Suites

glitterglamm
By glitterglamm,
in

I've never been to Chicago but will be visiting during the dates mentioned above.  I don't know which is the best place to stay.  We are going to be site seeing and going all over so it doesn't really matter to me which section we stay.  I just want a nice hotel for a cheap price and was going to try the Hotwire/Priceline bidding option since I really don't have a hotel preference for this trip.

Does anyone have any insight on which section is the best to stay for the lowest price?  

I was thinking of bidding $100.00 per night for a 4 star hotel.  Does that sound too high?

Help????

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Unfortunately, this is a busy period of the year (I believe there's a convention during this time period, as well.) A 4* downtown is likely to run - based on the rates I'm seeing - in the $150-170 neighborhood.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

So, do you think it would be better to stay in a close by suburb?  I am driving to Chicago, so I will have transportation.  I know parking is going to be another expense.  

I really only want to spend around $100.00 per night.  What do you think my best strategy would be?

I could go down to a 3 star hotel also. 

I often recommend the North Suburbs as a really nice area with restaurants, shopping and a few sights. The hotels there are also often usually a good value unless there's the rare corporate function nearby.

Basically, to give an outline of the options:

North burbs: 

Cons: About a 35-42 minute ride in on the Metra train, but the Metra trains are nicer and more comfortable than the CTA trains. Most hotels in the area are a very reasonable drive from one or more Metra stations.

Pros: Free parking. A hotel will be less than half of what downtown is - there's a 3.5* in the Northbrook area on Hot.wire for these date/s for $50 - you could probably do a few dollars better on Price.line and get something nice in the $40's. (you may see a slightly different Hot.wire price.) There are some nice restaurants, shopping and a few significant sights (mainly the Chicago Botanic Garden, which is in a burb.)

Downtown:

Cons. Price - what appears to be the Inn of Chicago is about the cheapest 3* option at $129 on Hot.wire, and that property gets mixed reviews. Parking is expensive downtown. Hotels can be as high as the $50's/$60's per night, while city parking is probably going to be around $30-40 +/-.

Pros: Not having to trek in.

Let us know your thoughts and we would be happy to offer further suggestions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

When searching on HOTWIRE for 6/20-22, I'm seeing a 3.5* in the Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect zone for $50 (you may see a slightly different price) w/:

Free Parking,Indoor pool(s),Fitness Center,Pool(s),Restaurant(s),Business Center,Internet access,golf Nearby,Tennis Nearby,Accessible for the blind,Accessible for the deaf,Accessible path of travel,In-room accessibility,Accessible bathroom,Handicapped parking,Roll-in shower

My guess is that this is a new amenity set for the Hyatt Deerfield.

If that is the case, $50 for a 3.5* in this area is very reasonable.

However, you can try bidding for a 3.5* in the Deerfield area on PRICELINE. The "known" (in other words, reported to the board), 3.5*'s in this zone are the Marriott Deerfield Suites, Hyatt Deerfield and Embassy Suites.

I'd try bidding $43, then $45, then $47.

There is also a 3.5* in the Deerfield zone on PRICELINE EXPRESS (which I'm guessing is either the Marriott Suites or Hyatt, but I'd lean towards the latter) for $52. Coupon code SUMMER14 takes 5% off, which makes the per night for that listing about $49.40.

Please let us know if you have any questions *before* bidding/purchasing

There is a Metra station at Lake Cook Road and a few others in this area (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.LAKECOOKRD.html) The Metra trains do not run as often on the weekends as weekdays, but there is a weekend pass (only for Metra not for CTA) that allows unlimited rides for Sat/Sun on Metra, so you could get both round trips if you were going to take the train downtown and back on Saturday and Sunday.

Everyone is different and while being downtown is optimal, I guess my view as someone who has lived in the area for years and years is that, when you have hotels downtown for $170-180+/- and you're likely looking at $40-60+/- per night parking (depending on whether you do city parking or parking at the hotel) and you can get a comparable hotel for in the $40's in the burbs and free parking, saving a significant amount and taking the train downtown is a very appealing option (and you can sit and plan your day on the train while watching the scenery go by.)

If you got a counter-offer for $58, it means that what it will take to accept is somewhere between your last failed bid and $58. I'm guessing you're likely very close, given the $52 express deal.

I would use re-bidding (explained here: re-bidding, please ask before using re-bidding if you have any questions and/or want to confirm your re-bid zones) and try $45, then $47. Please use the site's PRICELINE link each time you access the service.

Keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions.

OK, so I rebid at 47 and they still declined by offer.  So, I just went ahead and booked it at 58.  I went on Hotwire and the 3 1/2 star hotels I saw were in the 60's now (I started to get nervous).

So, I am now booked for 6/20 and 6/21 at Marriott Chicago in Deerfield, IL for $58.00 per night.  

Congrats on your success. :)

A very good result - I think. I've stayed here a couple of times and really liked it a lot - the suites are giant (large living room area, large bedroom and a big bathroom that connects to both) and, as far as I've seen, the property has always seemed well-maintained. Please let me know if you have any area questions at all.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

You have a couple of different options:

1. Rail. Your hotel is just off Deerfield Road. Take Deerfield Road going East a few minutes and you will see a train line and go under a bridge. Right after the bridge, to the left is the parking lot for the Deerfield station. About 1 block further East of the station is a mall with a really nice Whole Foods. Deerfield Station: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.DEERFIELD.html

OR:

Take Deerfield slightly East to Minot Road. Take Minot South briefly to Lake Cook. Take Lake Cook East to Deer Lake Road. Turn right on Deer Lake into a parking lot with a Home Depot. There is a Metra station in this lot. Lake Cook Road Station: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.LAKECOOKRD.html

Both stations are on the same line. I believe there is a $1.50 charge per day to park.

2. The Expressway is right next to the hotel and there is an entrance on Deerfield Road. The hotel is definitely far enough away from the Expressway that you will not hear any noise. The hotel is an office complex with a few major corporations (Mondelez, Amgen, CF Industries.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]